Hiding a subwoofer - how much of an opening do you need?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sfdoddsy
    • Sep 2000

Hiding a subwoofer - how much of an opening do you need?

I've just moved to a new apartment with my girlfriend. She's kind of OK with my rather large open baffle mains, and merely rolled her eyes when I mounted the tiny (mirage omd5) rears.

But she is drawing the line at my dual 12" (Adire DPL) sub. My mains are full range, so it is really only for LFE.

Whilst pondering alternatives, i noticed that the built-in cabinets directly behind our seating position have speaker shaped vents. The interior volume is around 12x36x20.

This is enough space to insert a small sub like a Sunfire True, or possibly even mount one of the Adires over the vent like a mini IB.

But since it is a rental, I can't hack the vents to make them more open.

So, how open does it need to be? I'll try and post a pic, but assume we have six 10mm vents with 20mm of wood between them.
    Steve's OB Journey
  • benchtester
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
    I've just moved to a new apartment with my girlfriend. She's kind of OK with my rather large open baffle mains, and merely rolled her eyes when I mounted the tiny (mirage omd5) rears.

But she is drawing the line at my dual 12" (Adire DPL) sub. My mains are full range, so it is really only for LFE.

Whilst pondering alternatives, i noticed that the built-in cabinets directly behind our seating position have speaker shaped vents. The interior volume is around 12x36x20.

This is enough space to insert a small sub like a Sunfire True, or possibly even mount one of the Adires over the vent like a mini IB.

But since it is a rental, I can't hack the vents to make them more open.

So, how open does it need to be? I'll try and post a pic, but assume we have six 10mm vents with 20mm of wood between them.
    Alternately, you could fabricate new cabinet doors with the most of the center cut out and covered with grill cloth.

Carefully remove the old doors from the hinges and put in a safe place to be reinstalled at move-out.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by sfdoddsy
      Model the opening using a bandpass sim in Unibox or WinISD Pro

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I always show my wife photos of other people's massive subs to make her realize that mine is much more reasonable. Just talk about how bad you want to build one as big as mine for two months, and you'll have her begging you to build one the size of your current sub.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• CZ Eddie
          • Apr 2009

Did you tell her that having a home theater without a subwoofer is like driving a car without wheels?
          It stays or she goes.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
            • Sep 2000

She already thinks the bass from my dipoles is excessive.

Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"