X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steelervic
    • Jun 2009

natalie p help

i built them using the silk rs tweeter in sealed enclosures. they sound great at low to moderate listening levels, from moderate to high levels the tweeters seem a bit fatiguing after a short time. any crossover adjustments or ideas would be great.
    thanks
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Would be handy so see some nearfield and listening position measurements

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

I've got A's in mine, and sometimes I get grief from my 26 yo son about the volume level when he enters the room, while my wife hasn't noticed (and I'm still bumping it up). The neat thing is you only need to replace the dome to try it out, if that's the issue.

The biggest difference I've seen in published data is in the 10-20KHz octave, where the A rolls off. I have heard of variations in RS28 base sensitivity, unit to unit, and I'm working with two now that are marked 1.2dB different (but purchased 30 months apart). Thomas' data request (if you have measurement capability) will tell if it can be addressed by changes in the XO. I'm expecting to pad one or both of mine to get the target response from each.

One other thing; any chance you're young, and playing lossy compressed files with minimal dynamic range? It may not be the tweeter... as your system's quality improves, you'll hear more junk than you once did.

Have fun,
      Frank

Comment

• steelervic
        • Jun 2009

i have an nad integrated amp and nad cd player. no mp3's just cd's. i have had other quality speakers without this issue, and some that just sounded harsh to me at high levels. maybe these speakers just reveal the flaws of my system. they still sound great at normal listening levels. thanks for any input

Comment

• 1Michael
          • Sep 2006

How far apart are the NatP's, and how far away is the listening position? This makes a big difference. Too close and the tweets will fry your ears, but backing up a little fixes the harshness.
          Michael
          Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• steelervic
            • Jun 2009

UPDATE. oops! user error, i had wires crossed. they sound incredible now that they are wired correct.

does anyone know the flared port length to use in a 50l tower? in the thread it states:

For maximum authority in the bottom end, a small tower enclosure is recommended- 50 liters net for the two shielded RS180's, (p/n 295-364) with a 3" port tuned to 28 Hz (28 cm (11") long if not using a flared port kit); this will produce an F6 of about 29 Hz anechoic.

that looks like if your not using a flared port kit, use a 3" by 11" regular port. if i do use a flared kit what size should it be?
            thanks

Comment

• fbov
              • Jun 2008

Keep two things in mind:
              - bass tuning is not terribly sensitive to port length; flared vs flush ends is ~1" or 2 Hz. Make it long, and if there's too much low bass and not enough mid bass, shorten it.
              - Run a roundover bit inside the port mouth after mounting as an alternative to reduced length.

Have fun,
              Frank

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"