What's the difference? (Stealing an article series from Fine Homebuilding)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warrant
    • Dec 2010

What's the difference? (Stealing an article series from Fine Homebuilding)

Crossover components.

As I am gathering parts for my build(s) I see many items that have the same values but are different designs and price points. Resistors as an example, metal oxide or wire wound. Is one better than the other? Is it application dependent?

Inductors...Air core, iron core, foil, what matters? Does gauge matter as long as the Mh is the same?

Same questions regarding capacitors.

Thanks for being patient.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry but we have no patience for revisiting this subject again, and again and again.

There are bunches of threads about this topic, so using the forum's search function is a good place to start.

As a general rule If you're building a proven system use the components recommended by the original builder.

In the end it all boils down to if you can hear the difference in your system use what you think sounds best.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"