Good first set of Mains to move to Surrounds later on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zegebe
    • Jan 2011

Good first set of Mains to move to Surrounds later on?

Hey Everyone,

First off - amazing little forum here. I've been thinking about building my own set of HT speakers for years, and after lurking around here the past few days am finally going to take the plunge!

Anyway, I'm looking to build a pair of budget-class (~$300 for drivers/crossovers sense) Mains that I can later move to Surrounds as I upgrade. And since I don't have a suite of woodworking tools here quite yet (they're across the country), I'm also leaning towards something that uses a PE cabinet.

Right now, I'm looking primarily at the Modula MT and the Natalie P, but haven't seen much talk of using Natalie P's as surrounds.. any particular reason for that? (or are MTM's typically not used for surrounds in general?). Would I be better off doing the Modula MT's, then CJD's RS150 MTM as a Center, and moving the Modula MT's to the rear when I build new Mains?

thanks

(edits - meant the Modula MT, not XT, and budget is for drivers/crossover)
    Last edited by zegebe; 24 January 2011, 18:33 Monday.
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by zegebe
    but haven't seen much talk of using Natalie P's as surrounds..
    They'll work fine for surrounds but there's no way you could build a operational pair using the PE cabinets for $300.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• FlashJim
      • Apr 2006

Parts Express has quite a few kits that look pretty good.

Jim

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
        They'll work fine for surrounds but there's no way you could build a operational pair using the PE cabinets for $300.
        I don't think any of those designs will fall into the $300 camp using PE cabinets. *shrug*
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

Well, wait, does the $300 include the cabinets? If so, that doesn't leave much for drivers and XO components. If the cabinets are a separate budget, then I think $300 could do some good damage!
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• zegebe
            • Jan 2011

Sorry, I meant ~$300 for the drivers/crossover parts. I realize the cabinets will add to that.

And Jim, I had thought about PE's Reference Series or Usher MTM kits.. haven't been able to find a ton of information on either though.. and I like the idea of assembling the crossover myself if I build from scratch.

Originally posted by cjd
            I don't think any of those designs will fall into the $300 camp using PE cabinets. *shrug*

Comment

• 707kevin
              • Oct 2010

Zaph za5 from madisound can be built in the 7l PE box as a sealed version which would make great little surrounds. I'm biased though since the za5 is the only diy i've done so far.

EDIT:
              oh, 300-ish for drivers and xovers -I was trying to include box as well.

Comment

• 1Michael
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                "but haven't seen much talk of using Natalie P's as surrounds.."

I am using them as surrounds and they work great.
                Michael
                Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• zegebe
                  • Jan 2011

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like the RS180-8's are out of stock for at least a month though.. so I'll have to put my plans on hold for a bit

Comment

• joeybutts
                    • Sep 2009

I was told that Markk's RS22528A's are more than up to the task of being front mains....I'm using them for surrounds.....:/

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"