Looking for a stereo speaker kit for my living room- TM or Line Array?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    • Jan 2009

Looking for a stereo speaker kit for my living room- TM or Line Array?

I'm looking to get music into my living room. I'd like to make a pair with component costs of around $400-500 for stero music listening.

I'd like to get something as high-end and accurate as possible, but I also want something that will look interesting. I was thinking that perhaps a thinner line array would be another good option.

Are line arrays a viable option if accuracy is a primary goal? I know they provide an open, wide, sound stage, but will a good TM out perform in quality?

Thanks!
    Travis
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I'm not sure a line-array is something to consider on that budget. As it is, it limits your choices a bit more.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• BigguyZ
      • Jan 2009

What budget would be required for a decent line array? Would it provide a better sound than a good TM, like say the SR71 or the Clearwave M5?

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BigguyZ
        What budget would be required for a decent line array? Would it provide a better sound than a good TM, like say the SR71 or the Clearwave M5?
        Different. A lot will depend on what you're looking for in the sound. If you go with a "full range" driver such as the RS100T-8 for example, you're probably looking at 20 per side minimum... that's only about $1050... and you're going to be missing low end still, and probably need to contour slightly.

Line arrays are far and few between, which makes it tough if you're looking for an established design - most end up being quite spendy.

What type of music are you listening to? How loud? How big is your room? What kind of electronics are you driving these with?

Accuracy is always a funny topic, because an audiophile, someone that works a recording studio, and a classical musician will possibly all disagree on the subject.

Comment

• Rick Craig
          • Jul 2006

For your budget a MT is a better choice. Arrays with decent drivers start at around $1200/pr. and still need subwoofers for best performance. You can build one cheaper but the drivers become heavily compromised and the tonality won't be as good as a nice MT design of the same cost.

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

How about something "in between" like a TMWW or MTMWW? Even that is pretty tough to do if going with expensive drivers.

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Jed
              How about something "in between" like a TMWW or MTMWW? Even that is pretty tough to do if going with expensive drivers.
              $500 for a MTMWW? Let's see... $55 for each TB W4, $50 for an SB29, $85 for one RS270. That's $330 for a single side of an MTMWW. Add the cost of a decent cabinet and crossover, and you are looking at $1,600 dollars... :E Yikes, did I pay that for my own speakers?!?!
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                $500 for a MTMWW? Let's see... $55 for each TB W4, $50 for an SB29, $85 for one RS270. That's $330 for a single side of an MTMWW. Add the cost of a decent cabinet and crossover, and you are looking at $1,600 dollars... :E Yikes, did I pay that for my own speakers?!?!
                I did... Worth every penny. The way those towers just gel (er, mine... I suspect yours will elicit similar grins) and seem so effortless in their sound reproduction is not something any other system I've done matches. Yet.

If you don't count cabinets, the Ansonica might be an option - not too big, a bit less on the beaten path as far as box shape (but not far out either). Jed definitely has some great kits to choose from. In fact, if I bother trying to name all the options I'll miss some. Check the thread of completed projects thread.

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

Take a look at Jon's Modula XT. I have them as my living room / Great room speaks vary resolving and great walk around sound. They are in a larger cab and play low. They can look vary unique with a custom baffle. I just love them and I think they can be done close to your budget.

Comment

• fbov
                    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                    I'm looking to get music into my living room. I'd like to make a pair with component costs of around $400-500 for stereo music listening.

I'd like to get something as high-end and accurate as possible....
                    I'll ignore the line array....

"High-end and accurate" sound is a combination of low distortion drivers, operating over the frequency range where their response is best, combined by a crossover that seamlessly merges their output to produce a uniform sound field that's roughtly flat to declining with frequency (and this is debated, but that debate is not the point).

The DIY quality tradeoff comes in the form of the law of diminishing returns; the pursuit of perfection is expensive. There are very good $50 drivers that are almost as good as $250 drivers. There are $10 crossover designs and $100 crossover designs.

Then there's the loudness tradeoff; good-sounding SPL is easy, but expensive. A TM is 6dB less sensitive (@1W) than a comparable MTM, at the price of a second mid-woofer. A 3-way TMW can play cleaner and louder than an TM, but at the price of a third driver and twice the crossover. Louder just adds drivers, thus Jed's note about an MTMWW.

Some crossover designers are electronics engineers, some have very sensitive ears; some are both, and their results can be stunning. Catch some DIY events and you'll be amazed at the variety of good-sounding designs, and perhaps get to hear one of the special ones. One good indicator is if there are lots of build threads with happy endings.

Finally, you've grabbed some high-end advisors with your title. Check out their designs.

HAve fun,
                    Frank

PS My best fit was Jon Marsh's NatP's. MTM using Dayton RS drivers and a unique series/parallel crossover design. Modula MT and Modula MTM are similar Marsh designs using different tweeter(s).

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      • Jan 2009

I'm already in the middle of building some of Jed's 4T's with a curved cabinet, so that's why the budget is a little low, comparatively. The reason I asked about line arrays, is I've heard they're a unique sound experience, and some designs I've been have a small footprint. Since this is a small living room application, I'm looking for something that won't dominate the room. So that's why I'm leaning torwards a smaller TM than a full-sized TMW, TMWW, MTM, or MTMWW.

Also, since it's a small room with lots of windows, I'm not looking to push SPL for this set. I just want something that can play music very well once I have the living room set up as a formal space for entertaining.

I'll take a look at what designs are out there. Like I said, I'm looking at the SR-71 now, or maybe the M5.

Any other suggestions for smaller TMs that are pretty accurate? I'd like the possibility of doing another curved side cabinet, but it's not a requirement.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006

I'd definitely recommend Zaph's designs based on his ZA5. They are definitely within your building budget and will make you smile to no end.

Or, you can try the winner of Zaph's Audio design contest: a 2 way with the SB29 tweeter and his ZA14 woofer, LR4 @ 1.6 KHz.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must say I designed the winning entry.
                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• dsrviola
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by cjd
                          Accuracy is always a funny topic, because an audiophile, someone that works a recording studio, and a classical musician will possibly all disagree on the subject.
                          Amen to THAT!

(professional classical musician and audiophool)

Comment

• dsrviola
                            • Oct 2007

Bigguy, you never answered the question about what kind of music you listen to, or what kind of system you're planning on hooking these future speakers up to. You may not want as "accurate" a speaker as you think you do if your front end is not up to the task.

A small foot print speaker that I've had lots of experience that is really nice all around is this:

Domain for Sale. LoneSaguaro.com. Request Price. What Are the Advantages of a Super Premium .Com Domain? Increased Traffic. Search Engine Ranking. Brand Recognition. Immediate Presence. Higher Profits. Great Investment. #1 in Premium Domains. 300,000 of the World's Best .Com Domains.

Good Luck!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              • Jan 2009

As far as front-end, that's still up to a decision. I'm trying to find something small and compact that looks (and sounds) good. All I want is an amp, a CD player and maybe a record player.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"