X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patches
    • Jan 2011

A Fun MTMWW Situation

So my current project is a MTMWW with 2 Hivi M8Ns, 2 Hivi M5N, and a Hivi RT1.3 Tweet.

So Far i have
    27in X1 4in X 16in boxes for the the two woofers. (70Leters Braced)
    19in X 7in X 13in boxes for the mid/tweeter. (20 Leters Braced)

Ill probably use a 4th order for the tweet xo at 3000
    something pretty low for the woofer (1st or 2nd) xo at 400
    and a 2nd or higher for the mid.

I decided to use two separate boxes for the looks.

Anyone have any experience with this type of design or any tips. Im just looking for general knowledge, especially about crossovers, thats the tricky part.

Hank
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Have you ever designed/messed with/ or had any other experience in crossover design, cabinet design, TS Parameters, Measuring equipment and such?

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

Metal drivers are a pain in the butt if this is your first project... and since it's a 3-way, it's going to be, in the words of the immortal Jon Marsh, like teaching an elephant to dance a fox trot... it can be done, and it will be amazing to behold, but it'll be hard...
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• 1Michael
        • Sep 2006

Michael
        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Patches
          • Jan 2011

thanks anyway, thought id actually get some interesting input, i guess not. This is being built and is in the crossover stage! all i was asking was if anyone had experience with this kind if design, i wanted to make sure this time i nailed the crossover.

Building a proven design is a fun weekend project and if you read enough listening impressions you know that they usually "exceeded my expectations" but for me building kits is not as satisfying as gluing up a box you just modeled on unibox and letting your creation sing. Creating beautiful thing is a hobby of mine.

Im still open for ideas
          This not my first project

Comment

• 1Michael
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Patches
            Im just looking for general knowledge, especially about crossovers, thats the tricky part.
            The fact that you are looking for 'general' knowledge and not 'specific' information would indicate that you are a beginner and not a seasoned Xover designer, therefore it would be rather irresponsible of people to recommend a complicated 3way project or above to you. And because you already purchased the drivers that pretty much limits any suggestions that could be given to you. I find it is better to seek suggestions and advice Before purchasing parts :T
            Michael
            Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• Silver1omo
              • Sep 2010

thanks anyway, thought id actually get some interesting input, i guess not. This is being built and is in the crossover stage! all i was asking was if anyone had experience with this kind if design, i wanted to make sure this time i nailed the crossover.

Building a proven design is a fun weekend project and if you read enough listening impressions you know that they usually "exceeded my expectations" but for me building kits is not as satisfying as gluing up a box you just modeled on unibox and letting your creation sing. Creating beautiful thing is a hobby of mine.

Im still open for ideas
              This not my first project
              If you want help in your xo I guess the best start would be to post where you are at this point, what are the problems you are facing and/or why you are not happy with what you have. Simulations and/or measuring of your current xo/enclosure would help as well.
              Ivan.
              My Statement monitors

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Sounds like you are building a smaller version of the system Michael has in his Avatar. Is this correct? Is the top box an MTM? What are your goals for the system?

Why did you choose your crossover points? Consider bringing the tweeter in a bit lower for off axis response. The lower you can cross an MTM the less vertical lobing becomes an issue. Also, off axis response of the mids may be starting to narrow, and the system could have an irregularity in its power response as you transition to the tweeter.

+1 for measurements/sims/progress to date

Comment

• Undefinition
                  • Dec 2006

There's no way we can help you assess this without seeing crossover diagrams, response graphs (with phase response), and impedance graphs.

Now, in the case of your particular drivers, you can probably get a very good end product with just simulations, as HiVi's spec sheets are very accurate. Trace them, run them through diffraction modeling software, extract minimum phase, and plug into the crossover design software of your choice.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                  Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• bbe22
                    • Mar 2009

this is really close.....................

this design is extensively covered in K&T of April 2005, back issues may be available.?? design by Udo Wohlgemuth, .....good reputation.
                    regards
                    Brian
                    ps.............. search for Goldrausch under K&T

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"