X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffm13
    • Dec 2010

Yet another cabinet question

First post. Sorry it's so long. I'm getting ready to build an entertainment center with room for a 46" plasma, left, right, and center speakers, and a limited number of components. I'm building the cabinet from scratch, but it needs to fit into a 6' wide space between a fireplace and an exterior wall. I've decided to also build the speakers that go into the cabinet. Since I've never done it before, of course I'll build a proven design. I think I've found most of the designs available, and I've entered a state of analysis paralysis.

As far as requirements go, the cabinet is going into a medium to large-sized room with dimensions of about 25' by 25' with 10' ceilings, but it opens up to other rooms with large doorways, half walls, and a wide hallway. So I think I'll need something big enough to fill a pretty large room with sound. The speakers will be going into a cabinet, which will be built flush with a fireplace, so I'm assuming I need to go with something that doesn't do any baffle step compensation. I'm currently using some cheap 6.5 inch in-ceiling speakers that I'm sharing with a multi-room audio system as surrounds. I'll be using a Denon AVR-1909, so either 4-ohm or 8-ohm impedance should be fine. The music to movie ratio will be about 60-40.

I have a cheap Yamaha subwoofer outside the cabinet that I'll replace sooner or later, so I'm okay with using a reasonable MTM design, and I'll fill in the low-end with the sub. But I'd like them to go as low as reasonably possible, so I think I'd prefer a vented enclosure or transmission line if possible. I can fit some relatively large speakers into the cabinets (as big as 10" or 11" by 50" by 18").

So with all that being said, I've considered the Zaph ZA5 in-walls, Aviatrix, Statement Monitors, GR-Research AV/2 or AV/3, In-Khan-Neato, NatalieP in-walls, 3 pi's, and Sietecerocero. I was just about to pull the trigger on ZA5 in-walls because they appear to be the best fit and value, and then went back and looked one last time at the In-Khan-Neato's and NatialieP's. And that led to another look at the Statement Mini's (because I have enough room for them), but redesigning the crossover is way beyond my beginner knowledge. And they'd probably be overkill. So I guess the question is: how to choose?

Jeff
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Forget about the Statements in an in-wall application, ditto for the Sietecerocero. I've never heard of 3pi's. And Danny says we're not smart enough to understand his speakers, so discussion of his speakers are banned here.

That leaves three. So do this: Take out a piece of paper and divide it into four boxes: ZA-5, Nat-P, In-Khan, and a blank box. Now take a pencil. Put it in the middle of the page and spin it. Build which ever name it lands on. If it lands in the blank box, spin again.

Seriously! Unless you can listen to them, or another design by the designer, the only other way to choose is strictly based on budget. They are all good, solid design and will be satisfying. I do think more $$ does get you more. But more isn't required for everyone. As I found when I built my brother's speakers, a $700 5.1 system can be very very satisfying. And, I always like to recommend people develop a future upgrade path.

I don't know where you're at in Wisc., but you're welcome to come down to my place and listen to mine. And call Madisound, do they have a demo room? They may have the Zaph speakers on display.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• cbark
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ---k---
      That leaves three. So do this: Take out a piece of paper and divide it into four boxes: ZA-5, Nat-P, In-Khan, and a blank box. Now take a pencil. Put it in the middle of the page and spin it. Build which ever name it lands on. If it lands in the blank box, spin again.
      If it lands in the blank box, (drink), then spin again.

Not to hi-jack, just making a suggestion.

Comment

• jeffm13
        • Dec 2010

Ryan, Thanks for the offer, I'm west of Milwaukee. I may take you up on it, but probably not before I start my build.

Your suggestion is all it took. I created the wheel, my wife spun it. Regardless of the result, she said: "the cheapest". No need for the drink. I'll let her win this time. Next time (when I do the theater), I'll choose.

So it's the ZA-5's. And to top it off, I'll be sourcing parts locally, for a local design.

I guess my next thread will be a build thread for the ZA-5's.

Thanks for the kick in the butt

Jeff

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

That's no reason not to drink!

Glad I could help.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• justphil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ---k---
            Forget about the Statements in an in-wall application, ditto for the Sietecerocero. I've never heard of 3pi's. And Danny says we're not smart enough to understand his speakers, so discussion of his speakers are banned here.

Seriously! Unless you can listen to them, or another design by the designer, the only other way to choose is strictly based on budget. They are all good, solid design and will be satisfying. I do think more $$ does get you more. But more isn't required for everyone. As I found when I built my brother's speakers, a $700 5.1 system can be very very satisfying. And, I always like to recommend people develop a future upgrade path.

I don't know where you're at in Wisc., but you're welcome to come down to my place and listen to mine. And call Madisound, do they have a demo room? They may have the Zaph speakers on display.
            Who is Danny?
            3pi speakers.
            12" wooferhorn tweeteruniform directivityhigh-efficiency 300 watt loudspeaker

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"