X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hopkinsstevea
    • Jan 2011

Natalie P & Modula MT Driver Question

I was going to build the Statement Speakers but think I should start with something just a little bit easier.
    I have been looking at the Natalie P Speakers and the RS180 Modula MT. Both look like they might fit the bill. I looked at the PE web for the RS180 shielded drivers p/n 295-364 but they have been discontinued I guess what I am asking is there a updated crossover design for the different drivers IE: RS180-4 the same question would apply to the RS-180 Modula MT
    Thanks everyone
    Steve H
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

i think there is a thread talking about it, not sure where it is though, someone will chime in but from what i read i think the new unshielded driver is pretty close to the one used in these speakers...

Comment

• Hopkinsstevea
      • Jan 2011

I have been thinking about it very hard and have gone through scores of data for the Statements and the Natalie P's. Construction is not the problem "I build small lapstrake boats" its the electrical part doing the crossovers that I am very weak at. But you know what they say the hardest part of any job is "cutting the first piece" I feel that the Statements are more what I'm looking for so after much sole searching I won't be building the Natalie P's and will buid the Statements. I'm sorry if I seem undecided I do appreciate every ones help, hopefully i'm not wasting anybody's time.

Comment

• Warrant
        • Dec 2010

The longest journey begins with just a single step...Chinese proverb

I'm about one step ahead of you and the people here are first class guides so use the American proverb and...Just do it.

Comment

• fbov
          • Jun 2008

These are all good designs, and the consensus on the RS drivers is that the unshielded versions are drop-ins electrically, and give the same bass response in a smaller box.

Among the Statements, NatP and Modula MT, you have a WMTMW, MTM and MT. The biggest difference will be how loud they play, a direct result of the number of drivers which is strongly correlated to cost. Loudness needs depend on room size. Putting the Statments in a 10x12' room will allow you to damage your hearing very quickly.

As a NatP owner, I'll bring up a second aspect and that is flexibility. Assuming max SPL is not the goal, sonic balance varies greatly with speaker placement relative to room walls. Statements have an open back mid that makes it particularly sensitive, and I'm not familiar with all the Statement XO variants. The RS MTM has 5 crossover variants, one the NatP, as well as BSC/no BSC variant for those wanting to wall mount, or in my case, put a center channel in under my TV.

I can understand the reticence regarding XO construction. There are some guides, but the key to all of them is "nodes." Pay attention to the points where multiple components connect to one another, kind of like intersection on a road map. Connect series elements (end to end to end) first, as they are not nodes. Then look for the nodes and make sure all connections for each on the schematic are present before soldering. These designs also have pics of the XO's, so you can check things.

Great resource here, I agree!

Have fun,
          Frank

Comment

• Undefinition
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Txgrizzly
            i think there is a thread talking about it, not sure where it is though, someone will chime in but from what i read i think the new unshielded driver is pretty close to the one used in these speakers...
            Here's a thread. Measurements and everything.
            Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
            Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• fastponies
              • Mar 2013

Old thread, new question: I need to replace a RS180 driver on an old Natalie P build. The original driver was a RS180S-8 (p/n 295-364), which are again available at Parts Express (or I could use the unshielded version p/n 295-355). Is the 8 ohm version of the RS180 drivers correct? The original post of this thread refers to RS180-4's. Just want to double check before I order. Thanks.

Comment

• Ed H
                • Apr 2011

This is the driver listed in the BOM. I know because it is in my "shopping cart" at PE. I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Yup, the NatalieP's use the 8 ohm versions. It's cool they have these back again...

But the two 8 ohm versions are so similar in the range that counts (below 2500 Hz) that using either of them is OK, though it's a little odd that the shielded version is actually slightly less expensive! OTOH, it takes up a little more volume in the cabinet; all things being the same, I'd use the unshielded.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fbov
                    • Jun 2008

But all things are not the same...

The unshielded drivers have different T/S parameters and require a smaller box for equivalent response. I don't know what a mismatched pair would sound like, but I've built both shielded in ported towers and unshielded in sealed bookshelves, and unshielded wanted a 25% smaller box than shielded in my application.

HAve fun,
                    Frank

Comment

• mischmat
                      • Feb 2010

Don't know if you would shine towards the Statement Monitors but I have 2 rs180s-4's that I was going to use as a centre channel with some help to the XO but would be willing to sell to buy the 180-8's to make life easier.

Comment

• fastponies
                        • Mar 2013

Thanks for the feedback. I went with the unshielded RS180-8 ohm. No noticeable difference from the shielded to my ear.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"