X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Looking for a good source for metal engraving

I need to have some nameplates with a logo engraved on brushed aluminum and was wondering if anyone has had anything fabricated like this before. If you have some recommended sources let me know. When I google it there are many companies to choose from, but I'd like to see what others may recommend for a reliable source and good quality.

Thanks,

Jed
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Out of curiosity, have you considered calling around to local jewelry engravers? Aluminum wouldn't be a normal metal for them, but silver is pretty soft and (I would think) comparable enough they could do it.

That's assuming you already have the aluminum sourced and sized I suppose...
    - Danny

Comment

• benchtester
      • Sep 2007

I don't have a current source, but some experience with Corian component boxes. The short answer is find an experienced engraver (expensive) or try laser engraving (cheap but not as good).

We had the fronts engraved by a traditional engraver. He used an old cnc machine with a small router head and small engraving cutters. His work looked great, in most part due to his experience with cutting speeds, tool sharpening and such.

Since our boxes were made of Corian, we could also engrave them with "normal" CO2 lasers. We labeled the connectors on the back panel by laser engraving and filled the groove with paint. This looked great. Cheap and easy, not much harder that laser printing. If you want a groove in aluminum, you need to find a vendor with a metal cutting laser (probably YAG laser).

If you could live with anodized alumunium with bare printing, then the CO2 lasers can be used to blast the anodizing off the alumunim. This is cheap and easy.

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by technodanvan
        Out of curiosity, have you considered calling around to local jewelry engravers?
        I'm looking to have the parts fabricated and engraved from a single vendor. If it comes down to it, I'll just have to call around, but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had work done like this already.

Benchtester, thanks for that info as well.

Jed

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Are you looking for something to surface-mount?

Consider thin gauge aluminum "sticker" essentially that's laser or water-jet through-cut. It might be easier to find a source (it'd be much like any vinyl signage except aluminum)
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Basically I'm looking for something like a Dayton Audio anodized (or brushed) aluminum binding post plate with the beveled edges, but with an engraved logo in the middle. I'd also like to have something smaller in size for a logo on the front of my speakers.

Comment

• benchtester
              • Sep 2007

One style, you might try, is to anodize the plates black, remove the name and logo with the laser, then re-anodize with gold. This should result in "gold" writing on a black background and no bare aluminum left. I haven't tried it myself, but I have been told it is achievable. Probably good to talk it over with the anodizer.

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

I like that idea.

Comment

• soundtrek
                  • Nov 2008

A friend has used this company to have custom front panels made for projects. They may be able to do what you need.

Comment

• benchtester
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by soundtrek
                    A friend has used this company to have custom front panels made for projects. They may be able to do what you need.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/index.html
                    Pretty neat, one-stop shopping.

FYI: They say they can do 45 deg. bevels in the FAQ in the Support section.

Comment

• Jed
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by soundtrek

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/index.html

:T Thanks!

Comment

• Bear
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by benchtester
                        One style, you might try, is to anodize the plates black, remove the name and logo with the laser, then re-anodize with gold. This should result in "gold" writing on a black background and no bare aluminum left. I haven't tried it myself, but I have been told it is achievable. Probably good to talk it over with the anodizer.
                        From the machine shops I've talked to, they want to do any machining first before you anodize (esp. hard anodize). However, engraving isn't really that hard from a machining standpoint (a company at CES showed a line of laser engravers that looked like a printer to your PC's operating system).

If the link, above, doesn't work out, then try looking around your area for either sign makers, industrial cabinet shops, or a CNC machinist. CNCZone has a forum where you can post an RFQ, as well. In any event, you'll want to have a Sketchup file or Adobe Illustrator-equivalent file available if you don't already have the CAD work done.

I'd point you to my contacts in Houston, but I've been seriously unimpressed with the costs they've quoted me for my projects.
                        Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• Solid7
                          • Jul 2010

Jed, I have a buyer's account at MFG.com. If you send me a PM or give me a call, (if you still have my #) I can help put together a request for quote (RFQ) for you.

You can specify whatever criteria you want, right down to the location that you'd like to work within.

Comment

• benchtester
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Bear
                            From the machine shops I've talked to, they want to do any machining first before you anodize (esp. hard anodize). However, engraving isn't really that hard from a machining standpoint (a company at CES showed a line of laser engravers that looked like a printer to your PC's operating system).
                            Right you are, I do a little machining and if I have to protect the finish, it takes at least twice as long. It only takes one shaving to swirl on the mill bit and mar the finish.

Laser is a lot better, but not perfect. I have not needed to protect aluminum when removing the anodizing. I tried some clean plexiglass and got some ghosts on the finish from minute splatter from the cutting. I have had real good success with PVA mold release, (or leaving the protective paper on plexiglass) and burning through the protection. Then I would squeegee-in paint into the engraving, the mold release made cleanup of the unpainted portions real easy.

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Solid7
                              Jed, I have a buyer's account at MFG.com. If you send me a PM or give me a call, (if you still have my #) I can help put together a request for quote (RFQ) for you.

You can specify whatever criteria you want, right down to the location that you'd like to work within.
                              Thanks! I may take you up on that... first going to try that link above. It looks like a nice source although possibly a bit pricey.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                • May 2004

A trophy shop might be able to provide what you need.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"