X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hopkinsstevea
    • Jan 2011

Pioneer VSX-1018AHK Receiver and Statements

Probably a stupid question (I have been know to ask a few) I have a fairly new Pioneer VSX-1018-AHK Receiver will it be able to power the Statements,Statement Monitors and Statement Center (7.1 System) or do I need to upgrade to a better Unit

Here are the specifications:
    Continuous Power Output (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.09 %)
    Front= 110 W + 110 W
    Center=110 W
    Surround =10 W + 110 W
    Surround back =110 W + 110 W

Continuous Power Output (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 1.0 %)
    Front =150 W + 150 W
    Center =150 W
    Surround=150 W + 150 W
    Surround back =150 W + 150 W
    Thanks Guys
  • FreaQ
    • Aug 2010

Hi!

I had a similar model the VSX-1016, did a search and people seem to be able to run the statements with that series of Pioneer amps without any problems.

But I sold it and changed to emotiva amps before I'm even finish with my statements built.

Hope that helps...

Comment

• AdelaaR
      • Dec 2010

If you need more than 110 watts per channel ... I hope you are asking entrance fees.

Comment

• rdrowley
        • Sep 2010

I'm pretty sure the specs say something like 110W/channel with 2 channels driven. Most mid range audio receivers are rated that way. That means in reality that it probably puts out ~250W of total power. So, 250W/7 Channels = 36W per channel with ALL the channels driven. For 2 channel music reproduction this is typically enough because you get all 110W/channel on the fronts. For HT use this is typically enough because you are not being really critical about the score or soundtrack. However, I recently started powering my front mains with a stand alone 2 channel amp and the movies sound more full and lifelike because I have lots of overhead.

So...to answer your question. Yes it is enough, that receiver will put good sound through your speakers. But, if you want to get the most out of those incredible speakers you will need a lot more power to get it. One nice thing about that amp is it has pre-outs so if it doesn't give you enough power adding a separate amp is easy.
        -Ryan

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

I thought I read somewhere that this amp is rated at around 400Watts total power.
          I don't think the simple equation of total/7 makes sense if you set your receiver to "small" for the 4 rears and center and "big" for the mains.
          More power will be transfered to the mains then to produce more bass I believe.
          This will still give you a lot of overhead when listening at normal levels.

Seriously ... I dare anyone to come and listen to my vintage 2x25 watts amp at max level but be warned: your ears may bleed

Comment

• DeathMonk
            • Jun 2008

I powered mine at one point with a VSX-53 (rated at 100wpc) and it was fine

Comment

• AdelaaR
              • Dec 2010

A bit offtopic but what a beautiful statement center there deathmonk!

Comment

• ---k---
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2005

The problem is not the wattage! The problem is the IMPEDANCE. Experience with commercial speaker, most of which are 8 ohm designs, does not always translate here. Many, if not most, of the designs here are 4 ohm designs which take a stouter amp to drive.

Here is the Statement's impedance graph:

Below 5 ohm for large parts of the range. This isn't that bad impedance graph. The Pioneer will likely be sufficient. But, the impedance is such that checking is warranted. I would be worried about lesser receiver with weaker amps for the rears, especially if you're doing a full 7.1 thing and playing a Blue Man Group Audio DVD that stresses the rears equally hard.

Also note, the Statements impedance is nicer than the Khanspires which is nicer than CJD's big RS 3-ways. I would not try and drive CJD's 3-ways with a receiver even though they are very efficient and don't need many watts.

Final comment, being sufficient =/ being best solution. Amps can sound different, and challenging impedance graphs will highlight that quicker than small commercial 8 ohm speakers.
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• AdelaaR
                  • Dec 2010

Thanks for pointing that out, ---k---, I will have to remember to pay attention to this when selecting a 7.1 receiver once I start setting up my HT.

Comment

• tchaik
                    • Nov 2009

even after picking out your receiver, i would still plan on adding down the road separate amplification for at least the front l/r if not for better dynamic range, sound quality and control. there are a number of good power amps out there that could be added at a later date when funds allow. make sure the receiver you buy will have separate pre-outs so you can add outboard amplification at a later time. if you have 7.1 you might consider a 2 channel amp to cover r/l or 3 channel to cover r/c/l or even a 5 channel to cover most with the rears being covered by the receiver itself. outlaw audio, emotiva, parasound, nad and many others out there could do the job. i am partial to emotiva amps because of their cost/watt ratio. they IMHO offer some of the best value out there. yes....you can spend more money for better sound but the law of diminishing returns sets in. so................

i would by any receiver with the idea of a later 'amp' upgrade that doesn't force you to get rid of a piece of equipment that works well for you.

good luck.................

tchaik......................

Comment

• Face
                      • Mar 2007

That Pioneer has preamp outs, just add a multi-channel amp or at least a separate amps for your front end and you'll be set.
                      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• AdelaaR
                        • Dec 2010

Thanks for sharing the concept of the receiver with pre-amp outs, guys.
                        Newbie question: does the one volume control from the preamp set the volume for all the rest of the amps after it?
                        Same for subs ... does the volume of an active sub change when you change the volume of the receiver?
                        I reckon the answer to both questions is "well duh" but I just want to make sure I understand the principle of how this pre-amp/amp thing works.

Comment

• rdrowley
                          • Sep 2010

The answer is yes...and no.

Your receiver will control the level of all the outputs, but some stand alone amps and all sub woofer amps have individual level controls as well. These level controls are to help you set the desired level without too much receiver tweaking. Once they are set you shouldn't have to adjust them again...until you think you want to change it, because lets face it, this is a DIY board, it's never good enough...
                          -Ryan

Comment

• BobEllis
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Yes, the preamp/processor's volume control handles volume control for all channels even on the pre-out.

You will need to adjust your surround levels if the external amp has different gain than your internal amp. For example, if your internal amps need 1V to reach their 100W maximum output and you use a 200W amp that also needs 1V to reach it's maximum output, the external amp has more voltage gain than your internal amp. You will need to increase the signal level ~ 3dB to your surrounds if you have them on the internal amps to make them maintain their relative loudness.

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
                              • Jul 2010

I was totally ok with the sound my receiver produced until i hooked a amp to it, Oh My GOD what a difference! :T

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"