X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bear
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2008

2011 Consumer Electronics Show

I confess that I only made it to a day and a half of CES this year, and while I like audio a lot, video is (one of) my business. As a result, I only got to swing through the awards area, rather than making it over to the Venetian (audio) or the Flamingo (THE Show) for audio products. As a result, I have to reflect on the striking resemblance of one of the award winners:

The Eagle - http://www.lawrenceaudio.com/
    - Tweeter: Accuton Ceramic Inverted Dome (C23?)
    - Mid: Accuton C90
    - Woofers: Twin 12"

To another certain product that has evoked some discussion previously about kloning:

A number of cliche aphorisms come to mind:
    • Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    • Good artists create, great artists steal.
    • What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

...And oh so many others.

If anybody actually made it to a demo room this year, what'd I miss?
    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I get the impression this might be an asian company, if so, a curious name choice. Have been in Austria (still am) during the CES this year. The tweeter might/should be one of the newer inverted dome parts with the underhung motor (C24 type), I'd think.

Using good drivers is a good start, but as Willie the Shake says, they're many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. Distribution and support count, too.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      I get the impression this might be an asian company, if so, a curious name choice. Have been in Austria (still am) during the CES this year. The tweeter might/should be one of the newer inverted dome parts with the underhung motor (C24 type), I'd think.

Using good drivers is a good start, but as Willie the Shake says, they're many a slip twixt the cup and the lip. Distribution and support count, too.
      It's definitely a Chinese company (CES feels like that more and more, even for the Japanese manufacturers), and the enclosure was a very shiny piano black (a lot like my old Velodyne sub that showed every single fingerprint and smudge).

One of the other manufacturers that was in the awards area is apparently using cast granite polymer concrete (reading between the lines) for their enclosures. Along with all Accuton drivers (C90, S280, and an Accuton ceramic tweeter). That's one I would have liked to have been able to audition.

Comment

• ergo
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bear
        One of the other manufacturers that was in the awards area is apparently using ...
        I think you mean the Estelon Model XA
        Since 2010 Estelon is providing the most luxurious loudspeakers to the high-end community!

The Estelon speakers from Alfred & Partners ($43,900/pair) were one of the hits of last year's RMAF, so I made a point of taking a listen to them at CES.

These speakers are designed and manufactured by my countrymen in Estonia - hoping to get to hear them soon as well.

They write on webiste about he speaker cabinets "..the use of a proprietary marble based composite ..."

Ergo

Comment

• Bear
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ergo
          I think you mean the Estelon Model XA
          Since 2010 Estelon is providing the most luxurious loudspeakers to the high-end community!

The Estelon speakers from Alfred & Partners ($43,900/pair) were one of the hits of last year's RMAF, so I made a point of taking a listen to them at CES.

These speakers are designed and manufactured by my countrymen in Estonia - hoping to get to hear them soon as well.

They write on webiste about he speaker cabinets "..the use of a proprietary marble based composite ..."

Ergo
          That's them. I took the "marble based composite" to mean epoxy-granite concrete (aka epoxy polymer concrete, aka granite polymer concrete, etc.). Basically, it uses epoxy, finely crushed granite powder and other binding and aggregate materials to create what is essentially a synthetic stone. The synthetic stone that just happens to be a lot more stable, durable and machinable than anything natural. It's all the rage in the DIY CNC crowd.

Comment

• Maldur
            • Dec 2010

Tere, Ergo.

Please describe your impressions if the listening of the Estelon's has become a reality.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"