X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Garay
    • Jan 2004

M8ta with SS9800?

Given that the Hales Transcendence tweeter is not readily available, would you recommend someone who is crazy enough to attempt the M8ta to use the SS9800? Would this cause major changes to the crossover?

Otherwise, is there another tweeter that would be a drop in replacement for the Hales?

I know it is a soft dome tweeter, but have you considered the Eton 25SD-1? The graph from the Madisound catalog looks good down close to 1kHz. And the price is attractive, $66/each.

Thanks,

Al
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The M8a t&a is a variant of the M8aMKIV. The MKIV used the Vifa XT25. If you want a relatively low dollar soft 'dome' tweeter for use in a cab similar to the t&a I suggest using the XT-25.

We haven't completed all the in box testing but it appears that the SS9800 is virtually a drop-in replacement for the XT-25 with the MKIV crossover

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Al Garay
      • Jan 2004

Thanks Thomas.

For a primarily HT setup where the clarity of the dialogue is important, is there much difference between the XT25 and the SS9800?

What are you using for your HT system? Center channel?

Thanks,

Al

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

At $200ea there better be a difference

To my ears the XT-25 sounds like a good soft dome, but I'm not a big fan of soft domes. I've used metal domes for the last decade or so.....

My current center speaker has a Focal TC-120. It's going to be replaced in the next couple of months with a variant of the Arvo, so it will have a SS98000

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Yep, we old guys don't have to worry about that 30K ringing. :LOL:

Comment

• Al Garay
            • Jan 2004

Decisions, Decisions... how do I get closer to HT/music enlightment.

It's hard to go against the momentum following the dipoles. And of those, the Arvo looks tough to beat. I want them now but will they fit in my room?

My 2.1 music, which is now primarily used for HT, room is in our 18'Wx24'Lx8'T family room. The stereo system is along the 18' wall with a 9' ET center in between the speakers. This leaves 4.5' on each side to locate the dipoles and preferably (to my wife) only about 3 feet from the back wall. Just wonder if this is too tight for a large speaker like the Arvo.

The M8ta or the sealed Tibor might be better fit for the space. But, I will have a bad case of upgradeitis knowing the Arvo is just a bit more. :twisted:

I guess The Passion did not leave a lasting impression.

Al

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Al,

Arvos need breathing room. 4.5' on the sides is fine. 4'-6' from the back wall is best. Interestingly my box speakers sound best with that placement as well.

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

The 9800 has the SS SD1 motor structure- distortion is very low, and radiating area is greater than the XT25. It can go quite low, in some ways, it combines some of the best characteristics of the XT25 and TC120, but electrically it can be dropped in place of the XT25 with good results with no changes in network, due to nearly identical LF resonance and impedance, and very similar flat response from 1 kHz to 20 kHz.

They don't sound identical, of course! BTW, the Hales has almost the same impedance curve, too! So, though one might want to make some "fine tweaks", one could drop in the XT or the Hales or the SS9800 into the same circuit. One advantage is that the XT and SS9800 have exactly the same cutout, so, yes, I do plan to upgrade my M8 bookshelf's someday with 9800's. That's an expensive mode, but the 9800 is a very nice tweeter- just ask Thomas, who's been living with them for a while.

Best regards from Atlanta (today),

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Al Garay
                  • Jan 2004

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm looking forward to listening to the M8aMKIV's that Andrew McIntyre is building in time for the Northwest DIY get together in Seattle next month.

He is using the XT tweeters. I want to compare them with my Ellis 1801s and see how well they handle playing Queen "We are the Champions" as I watch the NCAA basketball tournament. I may have to try a bit of Phil Collins "I Don't Care Anymore" if my Washington Huskies don't make it past the first round.

Happy travels,

Al

Comment

• Eduardo
                    Moderator emeritus
                    • Jun 2002

Al,

I am very interested in hearing your opinions. Hopefully in the next few months I will be building my first set of DIY speakers.

Eduardo

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Al Garay
                      • Jan 2004

Sure. I'll post my impressions after the event.

Al

Comment

• awm
                        • Feb 2004

Man, Al -- I HOPE I have those things done by the 18th! I screwed up the boxes yet again and instead of the usual cursing, i actually laughed out loud. So, now that it's turned into an ongoing farce, we'll see if I can finish them in time. Man, this is the most mistake filled project yet, and the box is by no means the most difficult! And, my customized version of Jon's design changes by the minute.... Still, I think the back will look cool. You wanna help me lug 'em over to the event?? You're also welcome to check 'em out before then, if I finish before. Maybe you can come over and we can compare my 1801b's to them.

Later,
                        Andy

Comment

• Al Garay
                          • Jan 2004

Sure. I'm taking the wife's minivan. It's the only way we can carry that much equipment. Luckly, we have only about 5 miles to drive.

Remember your cabinets dont' have to have Avalon asthetics. Maybe you need another power tool or more wood clamps?

Al

Comment

• awm
                            • Feb 2004

Well, I got the clamps (x10 3 footers for ~$47 bucks shipped) and that didn't do it. They must not be audiophile clamps -- I mean, after all, it couldn't be my sheer ineptness that's at the root of the problem....

See you Sunday...

Andy

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Well, you've got our curiousity up! Hope you guys have fun on Sunday- I'm hoping to make a little router dust myself in the afternoon, get the 1.2 version of the Arvo front panels making some progress.

~Jon

Earth First!
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"