X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russforrest
    • Jan 2011

Would this make decent surrounds?

I am thinking of making surround speakers for my home theater. It is a 5.1 system and the couch is up against the back wall based on space in the room. The design I was thinking of was a rectangular box maybe in the 8"w, 8"d, and 11" - 12" tall range. Could be slightly larger if the space is needed in the box.. and it might be I don't know. Anyway, the drivers I would like to use are 1 - 5.25" Dayton Classic and 2 - 1.125" Dayton Silk Dome Tweeters from PE. The part of the speaker facing the front of the room would contain the driver and the adjacent side facing toward the listening area would contain a tweeter and most likely a small port. Does this sound like a decent design? How would you build the box?

The layout for the room would be:

RS COUCH RS

SW FR CEN FR

I think this design might help the surrounds sound like they are fully behind because they will fire in that direction with one driver.
  • oneplustwo
    • Jan 2010

I (and most everyone else on this board) would recommend you look at the designs that are already complete. There are plenty of designs out there that would meet your needs. No need to design from scratch both the enclosure and the crossover. Do a search for zaph audio ZA5 or look through the missions accomplished thread to find a design with drivers and enclosures that might be a good fit for what you are looking for.
    Zaph SR-71
    Zaph ZDT 3.5
    Sunflower Redux
    12" Dayton HF sub
    CJD RS 150 MT
    Revelator bookshelf
    2x12 Guitar cab
    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

Look up the tritrix MT. Seems to fit what you want quite well. No need to have two tweeters.
      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"