X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

Speaker without crossover

My over 30 years old akai speakers are totally broken so they have to go.
    Now that I recently got interested in speakerbuilding I decided to open them up before chucking them in the bin to see what they look like inside and to check out the crossover.

Inticlimax to the max: they almost have no crossover whatsoever ... just two small caps and a switch to adjust the sound.
    All three drivers are made by akai themselves, so am I correct to assume that akai made the drivers specifically so they didn't need a crossover to save on manufacturing costs?
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

Your assumption is correct. Not necesarily the best solution, but it is cheap and (sometimes) good.

Before you chuck 'em, save the batting. That stuff's pretty good. Save it for a small speaker that you will undoubtedly build in the future (now that you're hooked ).

-Bob (the pack rat)
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• AdelaaR
      • Dec 2010

"batting"?
      I assume (again) this is the acoustic liner inside the cabinet, right?
      Good idea! I will be building some small speakers for the surrounds and could use it for those.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"