X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AdelaaR
    • Dec 2010

HUGE inductors :)

I work as a freelance technician for the Belgian telephone company and yesterday in one of the distribution centers I came across some HUGE inductors:

I put my hand right next to them to give you an impression of their size ... they are about 12 inches high and 4 wide.
    I never paid much atention to such things until I got interested in speakers and crossovers lately
  • servicetech
    • Sep 2007

Inductor or power transformer? Looks like a 230V 3 phase (one transformer for each phase).

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

there's a terminal blocl on the top with terminals marked N, 230, 230, 230...

I suspect (and would bet) it's a dry-type transformer as well.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

I wonder how much $$ you could get for copper scrap out of those?
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

I must say I feel stupid for not looking at the plain obvious markings and color codes of the connectors on top.
          Obviously this is some kind of huge 3-phase transformer indeed.
          What is the difference between a transformer and an inductor anyway?
          They both are wound galvanized copper, right?

As for the $$ ... the thing weighed about 40 kilo's so that's not bad ... If I would I could steal millions worth of equipment at my employer, but I'd rather keep my job.

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

It is probably a line or load reactor... Infact I am quite sure of it.. But it is really basically a big three phase inductor...

I bet if you went to google and searched for load reactor images you would see something similar.
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• cbark
              • Jan 2010

stuofsci02 beat me to it, looks like a line reactor. We have some pretty large inductors at work on an old 75hp VFD. A single inductor is probably 12 to 18 inches in diameter. Crazy stuff!

Comment

• AdelaaR
                • Dec 2010

So it IS an inductor then?

I can get my hands on three of those babies totaling 9 of the coils ... can anybody design me a HUGE speaker as big as a house for them please

Comment

• servicetech
                  • Sep 2007

A transformer is an inductor, it just has 2 sets of windings. One set creates the magnetic field the other set changes magnetic back to electrical power. If the "secondary side" is left unhooked it's just an ordinary inductor.

Comment

• cbark
                    • Jan 2010

...for anybody that is interested. I snapped a couple pics at work today. Old and dusty, been laying around a while.

Picture 1 is a three phase line reactor and the second is of an inductor! 8O Notice the green mechanical pencil laying across the eye hooks (used to move the inductor) in the second picture. I imagine some power company guys playing with some larger stuff, but this in not your average inductor.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Bent
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2003

Three phase shunt reactor (Supersized)
                      ABB is a pioneering technology leader that works closely with utility, industry, transportation and infrastructure customers to write the future of industrial digitalization and realize value.

Comment

• benchtester
                        • Sep 2007

IIRC this is an inductor for a single ended Class A power amp. (Notice the scale compared to the Bic lighter.)

The designer/builder is Magura on diyaudio. Real nice guy, who made it to the first Burning Amp. (Impressive since he came from Denmark!)
                        Last edited by benchtester; 12 January 2011, 11:08 Wednesday.

Comment

• cbark
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bent
                          Three phase shunt reactor (Supersized)
                          http://www.abb.com/cawp/seitp202/ea2...f00501fe6.aspx
                          Power company stuff, 420kV trans lines. Wild. Ever see a power transmission line transformer let go?

Something else to note, the inductor in my post above is from a 1980ish vintage drive the size of two normal refigerators. In comparison, I looked at two drives yesterday of the 2011 vintage, and both would fit in a space no larger than a small dorm refrigerator. (two 30kW units) ...ahh technology.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by cbark
                            Power company stuff, 420kV trans lines. Wild. Ever see a power transmission line transformer let go?

Something else to note, the inductor in my post above is from a 1980ish vintage drive the size of two normal refigerators. In comparison, I looked at two drives yesterday of the 2011 vintage, and both would fit in a space no larger than a small dorm refrigerator. (two 30kW units) ...ahh technology.
                            Yep.. With the invention of the IGBT things got a lot smaller.. Like with the old computers..
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Bent
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2003

yes.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"