• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kappa_ii
    • Jan 2011

2 way cabinet - USHER 8948A ? and 9950-20 or Fountek NeoCd3.0M

hi all - i am new here .
    i want to built a 2 wey speaker witch a 7 good woofer
    i think at usher 8948A - is seems a very good woofer but if someone have some sugestion i am receptiv .

for tweeter i am not sure - a think also to usher - maybe 9950-20 or 9950t-15
    or some ribbon Fountek NeoCd3.0M or aurom cantus ribbon

i have some questions
    1 which is the major difference between ribbon and normal tweeter ?
    2 what is the advantage or disadvantage of a 2-way speaker comparad with a 3-way ?

thanks
  • kmibb
    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by kappa_ii
    hi all - i am new here .
    i want to built a 2 wey speaker witch a 7 good woofer
    i think at usher 8948A - is seems a very good woofer but if someone have some sugestion i am receptiv .

for tweeter i am not sure - a think also to usher - maybe 9950-20 or 9950t-15
    or some ribbon Fountek NeoCd3.0M or aurom cantus ribbon

i have some questions
    1 which is the major difference between ribbon and normal tweeter ?
    2 what is the advantage or disadvantage of a 2-way speaker comparad with a 3-way ?

thanks
    Based on your questions, it appears that you're very new to DIY audio. That being said, if you're going to build a speaker with nice drivers, build an existing, proven design. The people who make a lot of the designs you'll see in the Mission Accomplished thread are good at what they do. Crossover design for someone as new as yourself will probably be too much of a task. I'd hate to see you fail at making your own crossover with drivers that have so much potential.

That being said, look around on here and the PE TechTalk forums for existing designs using those drivers. I'd also take a look at designs using the SB Acoustics woofers, Dayton RS, Aurum Cantus, and anything from SEAS and ScanSpeak.

Hope this helps,
    Kevin

Comment

• kmibb
      • Apr 2010

See if there is anything you like here:

Comment

• kmibb
        • Apr 2010

Here is another great place to find designs

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Comment

• BobEllis
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Don't try to go from a 7" woofer directly to a ribbon. See zaphaudio's ribbon test - http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes you'd need to cross much higher than most 7" drivers are comfortable or lower than the tweeter can do without distress at higher SPL.

I'll second the suggestion to go with a proven design for your first build. Study it and learn how the crossover works, how it interacts with the drivers' response and impedance irregularities. Zaph has some nice designs, too.

Comment

• Carl V
            • Apr 2005

SalkSound HT-1 with Dennis Murphy's XO does nicely with a SEAS7" & Ribbon.
            Selah Audio has a few such offerings SSR, Mejor, Verita.
            Owned an SSR & heard a few HT1s

They all sounded quite nice. It's doable imho.
            It'll take some talent I am sure.

Comment

• kmibb
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Carl V
              SalkSound HT-1 with Dennis Murphy's XO does nicely with a SEAS7" & Ribbon.
              Selah Audio has a few such offerings SSR, Mejor, Verita.
              Owned an SSR & heard a few HT1s

They all sounded quite nice. It's doable imho.
              It'll take some talent I am sure.
              I haven't seen Dennis Murphy's design, but I know the Selah Audio ones use RAAL ribbons, which will cross that low. However, they are much more expense than the Fountek, which cannot cross nearly as low.

Comment

• kappa_ii
                • Jan 2011

k

k -

if i decide to make a three way speaker what middle driver is recommendad ?
                i see that fountek neoCd1.0 is cheaper - 43$ and have 89dB - if i use it at higher then 4-5khz i think is very good .

the neocd3.0 has 95db , i don`t need theat much .
                i have not heard ribbon tweeter is similar witch isodynamic in terms of sound ?

what do you think about usher 8948A ? how much can go 2-2.5khz ?
                i understand that it is a very good middle woofer similar witch scan speak and some say that is better .
                but if a go three way i thing is not that good , and can find something better and cheaper , maybe also from usher .

Comment

• rdrowley
                  • Sep 2010

k -

if i decide to make a three way speaker what middle driver is recommendad ?
                  i see that fountek neoCd1.0 is cheaper - 43$ and have 89dB - if i use it at higher then 4-5khz i think is very good .

the neocd3.0 has 95db , i don`t need theat much .
                  i have not heard ribbon tweeter is similar witch isodynamic in terms of sound ?

what do you think about usher 8948A ? how much can go 2-2.5khz ?
                  i understand that it is a very good middle woofer similar witch scan speak and some say that is better .
                  but if a go three way i thing is not that good , and can find something better and cheaper , maybe also from usher .
                  I think the point of most of the responses is to find a proven design and use their suggested speakers and x-overs. Designing a x-over for a 2-way is difficult for a first timer. Designing a x-over for a 3-way is 10x harder than a 2-way. If you decide to go ahead and do it on your own anyway spend your extra cash on good measurement equipment and extra x-over parts for experimentation or on a nice adjustable active x-over and EQ.
                  -Ryan

Comment

• Undefinition
                    • Dec 2006

What is your level of crossover design experience?
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• BobEllis
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

As you add drivers the crossover design becomes exponentially harder. A three way as a first project is much more likely to disappoint than a two way. If you are dead set on designing your own, I strongly suggest that you stick with a two way and a tweeter that can cross low enough to blend well with your woofer, like the RS28.

Comment

• kappa_ii
                        • Jan 2011

k

in terms of crossover i don`t have experience - that`s why - i want to make it in two ways . I have some programs that simulate crossover , and some skilled friends who can help me .

i can copy an existing "tested" project . but i listened to some usher speaker with 8948A and a liked - the sound is warm but not slow , with good man voice reproduction and the bass was quite good . The usher DMD berilyum tweeter is not found in any store and i have to find a replacement .

after i finish the project , i can borrow a tester for necessary small changes in crossover .

RS28 seems to be made by Usher - similar witch 9950-20 .

if i make a three-way speaker i must choose a less expensive drivers .
                        and crossover price is perhaps more then double and very complex , complicated to do .

the grafic simulation and the volume of the box i want to do it in solidworks to be able to make my idea about the final look .
                        but first i have to decide what to use .

Comment

• kmibb
                          • Apr 2010

Here are some 2-way designs using Usher drivers.

Show off your speaker projects by posting the details and images of your creations. We encourage you to discuss with the speaker project designer his methods and results.

Show off your speaker projects by posting the details and images of your creations. We encourage you to discuss with the speaker project designer his methods and results.

I can't find any with the 8948A though.

If you want a great 3-way with a ribbon tweeter, check out the Statement Monitors. They have been built buy so many people on this forum so you can get all the help you want here. The drivers used are very well regarded.

Comment

• kmibb
                            • Apr 2010

in terms of crossover i don`t have experience - that`s why - i want to make it in two ways . I have some programs that simulate crossover , and some skilled friends who can help me .

i can copy an existing "tested" project . but i listened to some usher speaker with 8948A and a liked - the sound is warm but not slow , with good man voice reproduction and the bass was quite good . The usher DMD berilyum tweeter is not found in any store and i have to find a replacement .

after i finish the project , i can borrow a tester for necessary small changes in crossover .

RS28 seems to be made by Usher - similar witch 9950-20 .

if i make a three-way speaker i must choose a less expensive drivers .
                            and crossover price is perhaps more then double and very complex , complicated to do .

the grafic simulation and the volume of the box i want to do it in solidworks to be able to make my idea about the final look .
                            but first i have to decide what to use .
                            Contact this guy, he has the beryllium tweeters, 8948As, and a lot of other Usher drivers for much less than retail.

Use this FREE forum to sell your personal audio/video gear to other audio enthusiasts. Please read the Sticky “Rules For Posting” before posting your items for sale. NO COMMERCIAL SALES PLEASE!

Comment

• kappa_ii
                              • Jan 2011

k

thanks for the info
                              i don`t know how i could buy from adam , i am from Romania , Europe , and i see that he has only one post on that trade .
                              I send him a message .

Comment

• kmibb
                                • Apr 2010

thanks for the info
                                i don`t know how i could buy from adam , i am from Romania , Europe , and i see that he has only one post on that trade .
                                I send him a message .
                                Oh snap I didn't realize that. What drivers are available to you and where do you get them? That could limit your choices.

Comment

• kappa_ii
                                  • Jan 2011

k

i can buy from here
                                  DIY loudspeaker, components, capacitors, coils, resistors, measurements, kits, WBT, CLIO, Jantzen, Dayton, Peerless, Vifa, Scan-Speak, Accuton, SB Acoustics, KaCsa, Neotech, Mundorf

but the price , as you can see , is much higher then other places .
                                  i have not found in europe an online shop with good price similar to those in US

Adam D does not respond ! i send him a e-mail and a private masage and i don`t received any replay .

i can buy from part express but i have to pay extra- for transport and "i don`t know how to say" custom payments .VAT.

That being said - better to focus on the choice of speakers - a good match for two way .

Comment

• kevinlin1013
                                    • Dec 2010

I own a pair of USHER 8948A.

They sound very will at this price range. My crossover is 3rd lowpass(electrical) at about 2050Hz
                                    Last edited by kevinlin1013; 11 January 2011, 14:40 Tuesday.

Comment

• kappa_ii
                                      • Jan 2011

a

does anyone have a filtre scheme for this two driver
                                      8948A and 9950-20 ?
                                      or even a complete project !?

Comment

• BOBinGA
                                        • Mar 2009

Dennis Murphy is a respected designer and he has an Usher 2 way design. It uses the 8945 instead of the 8948, but it uses the 9950 tweeter. Look here:

-Bob
                                        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                                        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                                        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• Silversmoky
                                          • Nov 2007

If you can switch to the 8945 Mark K also has a small design with these two drivers.

Comment

• kappa_ii
                                            • Jan 2011

a

i did a project in catia
                                            volume 35 liters
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jun 2006

You need to understand that even your baffle design will affect your crossover topolgy and values... building a speaker is easy; building a good sounding speaker that will beat the pants off a commercial unit is something else. Trust me, I learned the hard way... I tried building an "ultimate" two-way for myself, and only finished it two years later, after I had spent lots of money buying new drivers, modifying the baffle, and re-building the speaker every three weeks. Had I known then what I do now, I'd have built a proven design, and I'd have measured everything every step of the way.

Honestly, I think it's the only way, unless you have someone who really knows his stuff helping you.
                                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• Undefinition
                                                • Dec 2006

Well-said, Javier.

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                                                Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• kappa_ii
                                                  • Jan 2011

a

i understand , is complicated , but that does not make me stop :W

does anyone know how much inside volume has mini dancer 1 ?
                                                  from my calculation have a minimum 45 L (resulted from exact calculation - volume associated with weight box) , but from simulation 45L are to much .

can someone do some simulation and perhaps a suggestion to the optimal volume ! for 8948A

and for filter , there must be someone who has used this speaker .

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2007

can someone do some simulation and perhaps a suggestion to the optimal volume ! for 8948A
                                                    An online box calculator:

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• rom
                                                      • Aug 2006

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

here one that uses Usher 8948A and 9950

Comment

• kappa_ii
                                                        • Jan 2011

a

thanks
                                                        it seems quite ok

i try to find a 3-4 order filter .

by the way - does anyone know what volume have mini dancer 1 or be-718 ?

Comment

• kappa_ii
                                                          • Jan 2011

i started the project
                                                          for a 22-23L inside volume what FB and size for vent port ?

in my simulation programs - one suggest 35hz and another 42 hz for FB
                                                          for port size 6.2 to 7cm for diameter .

what advantage or desadvantage occurs if the port is positioned at bottom ?

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                                            • Sep 2010

You may want to take a look at http://sites.google.com/site/undefin...d-measurements
                                                            Ivan.
                                                            My Statement monitors

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"