• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Dirt cheap planar midrange driver!

Holy crap! Maggie has done it again. :bluezoned:

The new MMG W is a "single driver" 38"x10.5"x.75" panel meant to be wall mounted and they claim it can cover 100-16K with the boundary loading of the wall. It costs - get this - $300/pair. Does it get any better than that? The mind reels with DIY possibilities - stack a couple for mid duties and add a line of dipole woofs and a line of ribbon tweets. Yum.

Magnepan is the leader in high value, high quality, flat panel audiophile speakers for stereo and multi-channel use.

Here's a thread where a couple of new owners like the sound as is.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yeap, been watching this since the CES. I plan on grabbing a pair for the family room rears when the smoke clears and backorders have been filled.

I also wondering if a couple of the center channels can be stacked to create a larger speaker?

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

Hmmm, just guessing but it seems like you'd give up vertical dispersion with two of the centers. I'd be inclined to only use one and cross it 1/2 octave higher for equal SPL capability. But who knows?

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Idea may be good but the freq response looked horrible. IIRC, the center measured OK, but the wall mounted jobs.....

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Pete,

Historically Maggies have never measured well. The plots tend to look like a photo of the Rocky Mtns......... 8O

However they sound pretty amazing, IMO ..... 8)

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

SL wrote a letter to Stereophile complaining about the way they measured Maggies. Trying to remember, I think they were doing the 1 meter, short window thing and splicing in the close-mic'd LF response, just like they'd do for a minimonitor. Measuring like that with a big panel gives you HF combing and ignores the dipole bass rolloff. He said they should measure from a few meters away and use a long window like 50 or 75 msec to get a better idea of what they sound like.

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

I saw Tom Nousaine's measurements in S&V. +/-9dB 78Hz to 11.5kHz with a huge 10+dB hump from 400 to 2.5kHz. Looked to be almost no high end whatsoever. He measured from 2 meters.

The center channel was somewhat better, but rolled off ~200Hz. Would make it tough to cross over into a sub from there.

Pete
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"