Need help with alternative crossover parts for a Statement Build.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trompie
    • Dec 2010

Need help with alternative crossover parts for a Statement Build.

We (my twin brother and I) would like to build Jim Holtz's Statements and since I`m at it I would like to give credit to Jim, Curt, Wayne and everyone who may have helped with the project.

We want to build the Statements (to be used as fronts). The Statement Center Channel and the Mini Statements (to be used as rears). It seems that we are currently settling on this configuration in the Statement family.

Where I really would like some help/input is with the crossover parts from the "Bill of Materials" list as I would like to order most if not all of the crossover parts from P.E.

I can see on the Statements Center BOM that all the parts are from Parts Express and on the Statements BOM and Mini Statements BOM all the parts are from ERSE.

Al the above Bill of Materials list can be found at Curt`s Website:

I was wondering if someone could look at the values and suggest a correct Jantzen and Mills replacements for the ERSE parts (maybe having an older P.E. BOM lists for me).

The opposite is also true if P.E.s transportation is much higher then ERSE then I would rather let ERSE send me all the crossover parts and then I would need an all ERSE BOM which seems like less of an hazel for you guys as most parts are currently from ERSE.

Thank you in advance for your time and I wish you a Great 2011.

Regards.
    Trompie

I had some help from Chris Roemer over at the P.E forum.

On the Mini Statement BOM it says:
    "..... and the 8.2 inductor is in place of the 8.0 in the schematic."

I can not seem to find (sort of place) that 8.2 inductor. I can see the 8.0 in the schematic and know I must order an 8.2 inductor but in the BOM there is none listed.
    Is the .82 mH 20 gauge ERSE inductor in the BOM correct ?

Or do I mis interpreted something.
    Last edited by Trompie; 31 December 2010, 10:25 Friday. Reason: Mini Statment BOM
  • KnightsOfNi
    • Feb 2010

Hello there are a lot of questions in one there.
    I think you will find Erse shipping cheaper internationaly.
    I am in Canada and for 2 sets of floor spikes at approx $30 the shipping was $30.
    As for equivalent parts
    If you want Mills resistors just pick the same Ohm value
    For capacitors match the mfd rating and voltage, if you can not match the voltage it usually does not matter, but if worried go up.
    If you can not match the uf (mfd) pick 2 that add up to the correct number
    Example 68 mfd and 12 mfd connected in parallel = 80 mfd
    You will find that example in the Mini Statement schematic.
    The inductors are different you need to match 'mh' plus get the 'dcr' close.
    If I remember correctly all the BOM's were origionaly Jatzen Mills but changed to Erse to save the builder some money.
    When you decide which supplyer you are using we can gladly help confirm equivalents.
    Hope this is helpful
    Knights

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
      • Feb 2010

I just ran through the center BOM and this is what I came up with.
      The 4.5 ohm resistor is not quite exact but is very close
      Caps:
      (1) 0.47 uF Jantzen caps 027-906
      Erse MPX63-03-0.47
      (1) 3.3 uF Jantzen caps 027-920
      Erse MPX40-03-3.30
      (1) 6.8 uF Jantzen caps 027-928
      Erse MPX40-03-6.80
      (2) 68.0 uF Jantzen caps 027-952
      Erse MPX25-03-68.0

Resistors:
      (1) 1.0 ohm Mills resistor 005-1
      Erse EWR25-05-1.0
      (1) 4.5 ohm Mills resistor 005-4.5
      Erse EWR25-05-4.7/PB (If you are worried about the difference you could do 1.5 + 3 ohms in series to get 4.5 but it probably is unnecassary)
      (1) 5.0 ohm Mills resistor 005-5
      Erse EWR25-05-5.0/PB
      (1) 8.0 ohm Mills resistor 005-8
      Erse EWR25-05-8.0/PB
      (1) 10.0 ohm Mills resistor 005-10
      Erse EWR25-05-10.0/PB

Inductors:
      (1) .25 mH 20 gauge Jantzen 255-026
      Erse EAC15-20-250
      (1) .50 mH 20 gauge Jantzen 255-036
      Erse EAC14-20-500
      (1) 7.0 mH Erse Super Q 266-938

Regards
      Knights

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Trompie,

I updated everything except the Monitors BOM this morning. I'll catch the Monitors BOM later this weekend. Curt will update his website when he has time which will update the BOM's in the Mission Accomplished build thread for each speaker.

Until then, here are the ones you need:

Jim
        Attached Files

Comment

• ChrisL
          • Dec 2010

Jim, do you have a preference when it comes to Erse / Dayton / Solen?

I have not ordered the crossover components yet for the Statements (I have ordered the Jantzen / Mills for the Center channel), and with the free shipping that P/E will give me, the price comes out about the same if I go with either Erse or P/E. (I also notice for the Statements that it's a 56.0 uF Erse, the compliment of this part seems to be a 60 uF Dayton)

1) Thoughts on which parts you would go with with if the price is about the same? (Dayton / Solen or Erse)

2) Would the substitution you have done of the 56.0 uF Erse Cap for the 60 uF Dayton Cap have any audible effect?

Chris

Comment

• Jim Holtz
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ChrisL
            Jim, do you have a preference when it comes to Erse / Dayton / Solen?

I have not ordered the crossover components yet for the Statements (I have ordered the Jantzen / Mills for the Center channel), and with the free shipping that P/E will give me, the price comes out about the same if I go with either Erse or P/E. (I also notice for the Statements that it's a 56.0 uF Erse, the compliment of this part seems to be a 60 uF Dayton)

1) Thoughts on which parts you would go with with if the price is about the same? (Dayton / Solen or Erse)

2) Would the substitution you have done of the 56.0 uF Erse Cap for the 60 uF Dayton Cap have any audible effect?

Chris
            Hi Chris,

IMHO, all of this level of caps will sound VERY similar. Crossovers are not a good place to spend a lot of dollars on exotic caps. That said, the better your front end, the better components in the crossover will help get the sound through to the drivers. If you do not have mega buck electronics, any of these will be excellent.

My favorite upgrade is Clarity SA caps in the ribbon circuit and Mills resistors in the ribbon and mid circuits.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• Trompie
              • Dec 2010

Thanks Guys

Thanks to the following Guys:
              Knights for your alternative parts list/shipping tips and help offered.
              Jim for updating the BOM lists for me.
              Curt because his website is already updated.

and Chris I also wonder about this one.
              "Jim, do you have a preference when it comes to Erse / Dayton / Solen?"

Regards
              Trompie

Comment

• AdelaaR
                • Dec 2010

KnightsofNi, you speak of "mfd" when you mean microfarad, right?
                That can be very confusing since "m" stands for "milli".
                I don't know about your keyboard layout, but here in Belgium we have the "µ" sign readily available on the key below the pound sign
                I doubt people use it much but for speaking about crossovers it sure can be handy.
                The sign for "farad" is a capital F btw ... so microfarad should be "µF"

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
                  • Feb 2010

Yes sir
                  I don't have that key on my keyboard, it is maybe in the character map, I will check when I get home.
                  I am currently waiting at the airport ,I will be away for a while.
                  I have seen it written both ways hope I didn't cause confusion
                  Regards
                  Knights

Comment

• saabracer23
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    My favorite upgrade is Clarity SA caps in the ribbon circuit and Mills resistors in the ribbon and mid circuits.

HTH

Jim
                    Noooooooooo, why did you say that? I have this OCD about having the best (I can afford) and I just ordered all of my crossover components! Ugh, I don't mind getting the clarity cap, but will there be a big difference in the resistors between erse and mills? You say change the ones in the mid and treble line, but thats every single resistor.

Dan

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by saabracer23
                      Noooooooooo, why did you say that? I have this OCD about having the best (I can afford) and I just ordered all of my crossover components! Ugh, I don't mind getting the clarity cap, but will there be a big difference in the resistors between erse and mills? You say change the ones in the mid and treble line, but thats every single resistor.

Dan
                      Don't sweat it. Really, don't sweat it.
                      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by saabracer23

Dan
                        Hi Dan,

There's not a big difference in any of the components and will be inaudible for most unless they have very high dollar electronics, exceptional recordings and are a VERY discriminating listener. Crossover component upgrades are low on the bang for the buck scale.

If you want to play a bit without spending much money, use the Clarity SA cap and change only the series resistors. I'll get beat up for saying this but the series resistors "should" have the greatest impact. Resistors will have the least impact on the sound quality.

That said, all of the components in the basic BOM are very high quality and I think you'll be very happy with the sound quality.

Jim

Comment

• saabracer23
                          • Sep 2010

Thanks guys, you put me at ease, I dont have high dollar electronics, nor do I have hi rez music. I'll stick with what I have I guess.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"