X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

CJD RS150 MTM question....

My dad's HT is minus a center channel right now and he wants to build it in the wall above the mantle. And when I say above the mantle, I mean on the mantle, aka bottom of the speaker would be flush with the top of the mantle. The mantle sticks out about 6-8" from the wall.

I know this is a terrible situation for any speaker, but mom wants nothing on the mantle. I have 6.75" - 7" of height and as much depth as is needed.

What changes could be made to the design to make this acceptable? Is there a different speaker design I should be looking at? My dad currently has LouC's C-Killa's for mains which utilize RS150's.

Thanks for any help guys!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Build one of the on-wall versions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

The bounce off the mantle is going to be the biggest gotcha, and at that, unknown. The potential exists for it to really mangle audibility, especially because that mantle is almost surely above ear-level, which means it will be directly in the way.

This is one of those places where I ask, is phantom center not adequate?

An in-ceiling, if possible, may be a better alternative.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• joeybutts
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjd
        The bounce off the mantle is going to be the biggest gotcha, and at that, unknown. The potential exists for it to really mangle audibility, especially because that mantle is almost surely above ear-level, which means it will be directly in the way.

This is one of those places where I ask, is phantom center not adequate?

An in-ceiling, if possible, may be a better alternative.
        I don't mind it with the mains honestly, but never considered going above the TV. I'll have to do some measuring, and knew the mantle was going to be a huge issue.

I'll double check above the TV and get back to you guys. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"