How critical is enclosure volume accuracy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warrant
    • Dec 2010

How critical is enclosure volume accuracy?

I have decided to build my version of CJD's Garnacha with the interim working name of the Garnach... I'll wait until they're done to see if they warrant an A.
    I am using 23/32 Araucoply and if one were to use the standard dimensions it would wind up a 1/16 short. I was also going to weight the bottom to reduce tipping, perhaps in a small plinth but just am curious as to the point of diminishing returns.
    I apologize in advance as I have many, many more noob questions and would be grateful if only to be pointed to the appropriate thread.

Thanks
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

1/16th of an inch? Surely you can't be worried about that! Most of us can't even cut to a tolerance of 1/16th of an inch!

As far as adding weight to the bottom, you should be fine.

I've heard that +/- 10% leniency is usually allowed for internal volumes to achieve the intended sound of the design. A more important number is the baffle width.
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Amphiprion
      • Apr 2006

It is definitely not that critical. I would agree with 5-10% variation from design being OK. Unless you are measuring each driver individually, the driver T/S parameters could easily be off that much anyway.

However, don't go changing baffle dimensions by more than 1/8" or so. And that is honestly very tight, you could probably be off by more than that and it would sound fine. But if you want to stay true to the design, keep the baffle dimensions as close as possible.

Comment

• Warrant
        • Dec 2010

Ok, next question, is baffle width and baffle step compensation the same thing? And if so, how does this interact with the fact that I need to place them against the wall?

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Baffle step compensation depends heavily on baffle width as the baffle width determine the transition frequency from full space to half space (as well as other things like diffraction effects in the octaves above the transition frequency). Baffle step compensation also depends heavily on how close they are intended to be placed next to a wall. A speaker in the middle of a room needs much closer to 6dB or full baffle step compensation than a speaker placed directly against or close to a wall (which might need only 2dB).

If you need a speaker placed against the wall, start with a design that was intended for that or you'll have to modify the design.

Comment

• Warrant
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by numberoneoppa
            1/16th of an inch? Surely you can't be worried about that! Most of us can't even cut to a tolerance of 1/16th of an inch!

As far as adding weight to the bottom, you should be fine.

I've heard that +/- 10% leniency is usually allowed for internal volumes to achieve the intended sound of the design. A more important number is the baffle width.
            I missed this on first time around.

One of my clients insists if I want to talk to him about wood I have to be able to split a 1/32 pencil mark...Yeah, I'm working on it. He's a journeyman carpenter, cabinetmaker, electrician, and high end homebuilder. He gives me something to shoot for.

Comment

• Warrant
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Amphiprion
              Baffle step compensation depends heavily on baffle width as the baffle width determine the transition frequency from full space to half space (as well as other things like diffraction effects in the octaves above the transition frequency). Baffle step compensation also depends heavily on how close they are intended to be placed next to a wall. A speaker in the middle of a room needs much closer to 6dB or full baffle step compensation than a speaker placed directly against or close to a wall (which might need only 2dB).

If you need a speaker placed against the wall, start with a design that was intended for that or you'll have to modify the design.
              I'm hoping CJD will jump in here and say they will work great against the wall or change x to make them work. I hate being ignorant but I'm also learning as fast as I can.

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

You can lose a very little bit of BSC by using 20ga inductors, but that messes with tuning a little also - more than 1/16" dimensional change will.

If you can keep them even 10cm from the wall you should be OK, I suspect.
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Warrant
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cjd
                  You can lose a very little bit of BSC by using 20ga inductors, but that messes with tuning a little also - more than 1/16" dimensional change will.

If you can keep them even 10cm from the wall you should be OK, I suspect.
                  10 cm is doable I'd kiss ya but you're built funny

Is it too much to ask for dimensional drawings? A quick sketch of the baffle, with numbers...placement of the bracing.

I going to keep the volume the same but I'm going to double the baffle to use some bookmatched birdseye maple that has me drooling.

Thanks

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Warrant
                    Is it too much to ask for dimensional drawings? A quick sketch of the baffle, with numbers...placement of the bracing.
                    No, not too much to ask, certainly.

I have to find a program to use for that again though.

Comment

• Warrant
                      • Dec 2010

Thanks,

I'm chomping at the bit and an Abouriou for the center.

woohooo.

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

Khan-center will be a good match too.

Comment

• Warrant
                          • Dec 2010

Its one of those days...

So yesterday I i felt overly ambitious and cut the wood for my Garnachs and the Abouriou when I realized I hadn't measured the space i had for the center speaker. I grab the tape measure and boom. seven inches,!@#$#@#$%$#$E%^&^%$#@.

So, a question or two, if I keep the baffle the correct size and alter the box dimensions (depth) to retain approximately ( ) the correct volume will it in theory function as intended?

Part two, is there an advantage to tilting the baffle as the center is 15 inches off the floor?

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Its one of those days...

So yesterday I i felt overly ambitious and cut the wood for my Garnachs and the Abouriou
                            I must have missed the Abouriou thread and can't seem to find it. Is CJD hiding something from us?
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Bent
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2003

Abouriou, according to Eldamar

Comment

• Warrant
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bent
                                Hey stealing my tiny thunder, :P Have you stopped glowing yet?

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Assuming you are building the center sealed, volume will be fine at 7in.

Tilting maybe but should be a minor change in response.

Comment

• Warrant
                                    • Dec 2010

Thanks.

Comment

• ---k---
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Bent

Ahh, he finally gave it a real name. I see he also gave the big ones a name too. About time.
                                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                        • Sep 2010

I'm not trying to hijack... But, are the unshielded RS150 ok for the Abourio? The ported towers look interesting...
                                        Ivan.
                                        My Statement monitors

Comment

• Bent
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2003

Hey stealing my tiny thunder, Have you stopped glowing yet?
                                          Nope, Just watched Team Canada in the Juniors'

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"