X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

Need a good demo CD

I am hoping to find a good quality demo CD that I can use for listening to different speakers and builds. I have the HT DVD side of it covered with various movies that I have but most of my CDs are from the late 90s and early 2000s when I was mainly in to rock and top 40 type stuff. In more recent years my taste has broadened and although I am not exactly a music afficianado (in that I am not super familiar with the classic artists and songs), I do appreciate a wide range of music now. Ideally I would like a single CD that contains different samples on it including classical (piano and violin), jazz, blues, vocals, maybe a little latin/world music and other types on it. Anyone know of such a CD or am I going to have to roll my own? If there is not a good sampler like that, can you guys recommend some individual tracks from different genres that would make good samples as well as some good single genre CDs?

Thanks,

Matt
  • blue934
    • Mar 2008

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

this thread has a link to a grooveshark playlist based on songs used at recent audio meets. some great quality tunes covering a wide variety. listen and pick what you like.

david

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for posting this.. Very nice!
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• snmhanson
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by blue934
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221886

this thread has a link to a grooveshark playlist based on songs used at recent audio meets. some great quality tunes covering a wide variety. listen and pick what you like.

david
        Thanks for the link. Lots of variety there. That will also be a great site for work music.

Matt

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

How can it be that a playlist like this does not contain "brothers in arms" by dire straits?
          Blasphemy

Comment

• stuofsci02
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by AdelaaR
            How can it be that a playlist like this does not contain "brothers in arms" by dire straits?
            Blasphemy
            Well, as much as I love the Brothers in Arms song, IMO it is not nearly the best sounding Dire Straits song. There is some other Mark Knopfler and Dire Straights songs in there.
            Main System:
            B&W 801D
            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
            Oppo BDP-105
            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
            B&W CM7
            Emotiva UMC-1
            Emotiva UPA-2
            Oppo BDP-83SE
            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• AdelaaR
              • Dec 2010

Please notice that I was kidding there.
              It's a nice playlist and I may pick up a few new things which is always good.

"brothers in arms" is one of my favourite songs ever ... the bass goes deep and wide while the guitar floats around and the voice is mesmerizing ... the recording quality and separation of the various tracks is also excellent.

I'm going to build the statements next year and the first song that will play on them will definately be "brothers in arms"

Running a few of these songs through my current speakers has definately proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that they are BROKEN and should be replaced immediately.
              They are a pair of AKAI SW131A and I bought them for 2,5€ in a flee market.
              They are more than 30 years old after all and some of the drivers are literally falling apart and making all kinds of weird unwanted noises.

Comment

• Dean100
                • Jan 2007

For those of you who like Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. Pick up Knopfler's latest album "Get Lucky". To me, this his most well engineered and recorded work yet. It will make your good speakers sound great. Not to mention it has some very good music on it.

It is the most well recorded CD that I have in my collection of over 500 CD's.

Comment

• stuofsci02
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dean100
                  For those of you who like Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler. Pick up Knopfler's latest album "Get Lucky". To me, this his most well engineered and recorded work yet. It will make your good speakers sound great. Not to mention it has some very good music on it.

It is the most well recorded CD that I have in my collection of over 500 CD's.
                  Yep.. I have had that one for a few months. I quite like the second half of the album. :T
                  Main System:
                  B&W 801D
                  Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                  Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                  Oppo BDP-105
                  Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                  B&W CM7
                  Emotiva UMC-1
                  Emotiva UPA-2
                  Oppo BDP-83SE
                  Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• justphil
                    • Nov 2010

I really like Karsh Kales stuff. If you can listen to his cd "Realize" there are many awesome tracks IMO. I am especially fond of the song "Anja."

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by blue934
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221886 this thread has a link to a grooveshark playlist based on songs used at recent audio meets. some great quality tunes covering a wide variety. listen and pick what you like. david
                      Thank you the quality is not very good but this is great!! :T

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• justphil
                        • Nov 2010

I hope I am not way off bass =P on my posts but what about Jean Michael Jarre's "Aero" in DTS?

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by justphil
                          I hope I am not way off bass =P on my posts but what about Jean Michael Jarre's "Aero" in DTS?
                          Jean Michael Jarre tres bien, J'aime beaucoup
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• justphil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by wettou
                            Jean Michael Jarre tres bien, J'aime beaucoup
                            Ummm I think you said you like him right =P

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"