X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeS
    • Feb 2004

Hi Vi M8

Several interesting projects here include the Hi Vi M8a. Parts Express shows this as discontinued on their web site. They carry the M8n, which seems quite similar but is obviously a different model. I seem to remember reading something about the M8a motor that I didn't see in the M8n 'blurb'. How does this driver compare to the M8a?

On a more general note, suggestions for a 6.5 to 8 inch driver (bonus points for shielded) for a small enclosure (8 to 18 L) would be gratefully received. Plan is to XO at ~500 Hz and apply Linkwitz transform to compensate for cramped quarters and extend LF. Quality and range are primary concerns but only modest SPL.

Thanks very much.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi and welcome to HT-Guide,

Although we haven't had one to measure; the expectation based on what we read, is that the M8n will be a drop-in replacement for the M8a.

I doubt that production of the M8a has been discontinued by Hi-Vi. I think that PE no longer stocks it given the cost. In the past PE has been willing to special order drivers that they've 'discontinued'.

The M8a/M8n can be effectively shielded after the fact. I helped a friend build a horizontal MTM that's positioned directly under CRT, mounted in an entertainment center. We lined the cab with 2 layers of thick sheet metal and glued 9oz bucking magnets on the drivers. There's absolutely no interference with the TV.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

I think the main difference is the "a" series has a cast frame and the "N" series has a stamped frame. Motors, etc. should be very similar if not identical.

Comment

• GeorgeS
        • Feb 2004

Thanks for the quick replies.

They look very similar as do the numbers but I figured it would be better to ask than assume.

I was planning on doing the sheet metal lining thing if I ended up with an unshielded driver. I've seen drivers with bucking magnets but don't know anything about how they would be selected or applied. Could you point me at a reference?

The project is actually for 2-channel music, but the speakers will be near a monitor (major overkill 'computer speakers').

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I don't have a reference for bucking magnets. The idea is to get one that's about 50% the weight of the magnet on the driver.

We used 9oz on each M8a, as I recall the Hi-Vi magnet is ~20oz.

We built the cabinet a little differently. We built an outer 3/4" MDF box, and lined the inside of that with sheet metal. We then built an inner box, again 3/4" MDF, we line the inner box with sheet metal as well.

The reason for this was the fact that his 32" CRT would be sitting directly on top of the speaker. I wasn't sure if this concept was going to work. I was thrilled when we set it up, and the TV picture was perfect.

BTW, Parts Express and Madisound sell bucking magnets

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"