X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delta Dog
    • May 2009

Budget Stereo Options

My brother is looking for a pair of speakers to be used to play music while he plays along on his electric guitar. He has a 15 yr. old Denon 40 watt stereo receiver that seems to be very conservatively rated. He obviously will not be able to keep up with his guitar amp, but would like a speaker with higher SPL and an extended bass range. He would like to keep the speakers and crossovers in the $150 range, but would consider more expensive designs if there were reasonable gains in value/performance.

Would you recommend a 2-way transmission line? What options would be available in that price range? All suggestions would be appreciated.

DD
  • saabracer23
    • Sep 2010

The tritrix or Aviatrix with a bit more money.

Dan

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

Tritrix TL also gets my vote.
      -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• RegulatorCT
        • Feb 2010

Yup, I haven't finished my thread due to school but holy I love the Tritrix TL's I built. Everyone in my house does.

Comment

• Delta Dog
          • May 2009

The TriTrix is what I was thinking about.

What are the biggest differences between the ported and TL versions of the TriTrix? I know the ported version uses a smaller enclosure, but the TL's F3 was not quoted in comparison to the ported F3 of ~53 hz. The TL was just described as being "acceptable down to the low 40's". Are the SPL's comparable?

Also, how does the 48" TL version compare to the 36" version. Does the larger enclosure give additional extension and/or SPL?

Delta Dog

Comment

• rdrowley
            • Sep 2010

I currently have both the TL version and the ported version. I can honestly say that there is an appreciable gain in low end for the TL version. I haven't measured them or anything, but there is noticeably more low end with the TL's.

Also, as further verification, when I calibrated my system/receiver it said that the TL's were measuring as full range and the ported should be crossed at 50Hz. That takes into account room gain and what not, but so does your listening.

The difference between the tall boys and the regulars is simply the height. In the regulars you have to bend the transmission line, in the tall boys you don't. They should sound exactly the same. Instead of making the tall boys I made the regulars a little taller by building them with a false bottom to house the x-over and then put spikes on as well. Those two things got the tweet up to ear level for me, plus made the speaker look cleaner IMO.
            -Ryan

Comment

• Delta Dog
              • May 2009

Thanks rdrowley. That is what I was looking for.

I think I read that Curt said the 36" version was possible because the tweeter had a wide enough dispersion pattern vertically to not be required to be at ear level, but it would not hut to raise it up.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"