X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warrant
    • Dec 2010

Jafng Adq

Just another new guy asking questions...

I want to build myself a set of LCRs and I have spent a few hours reading on various sites bit I'm still a bit lost when it comes to designs that fit tight to the wall. Is it that sealed units are less susceptable to wall placement?

I would like to keep them fairly narrow (~9")but height could be up to 4'.

Usage is 90% HT and 10% music and our hearing is not what it used to be.

Recommendations?

TIA
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

It's not sealed or ported that makes a design suitable for against the wall placement but a crossover with "reduced baffle step" meaning that there isn't compensation for placing the speaker out in the room.

Many of the designs in the missions accomplished section have alternate crossover designs labeled either reduced baffle step or on wall.

What is your budget? Do you have or are you planing to build a sub? Is deep bass important or can you live without the LFE? How big is the room?

Comment

• fbov
      • Jun 2008

Bob's right-on about BSC, Baffle step compensation.

You were thinking about ported vs. sealed bass alignments. A back port is a bad idea only if the back will be against the wall. Unlike BSC, common sense will tell you the port won't work if it's covered.

Bob's also right to ask about budget and requirements.

I'll add that you should be looking for sets that have:
      - a dedicated CC design, and
      - the CC has both free-standing and on-wall/in-wall XO designs.

Many people think that free-standing speakers on their side make good CCs, and that's not always true. In addition, some folks (like me) have their CC encased in furniture while the L/R speakers stand alone; guess which one needed the in-wall XO?

Finally, the master list...
      Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Have fun,
      Frank

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

I've done a few designs that would work well this way - In-Khan-Neato's or the slightly funkier surrounds I use in my own HT both options.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Is anyone else confused by the title of this thread?

There's a few designs in the MA forums to browse that may meet the needs.

Comment

• justphil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jed
            Is anyone else confused by the title of this thread?
            It reads:Jafng Adq
            Just another "F"ing new guy asking a dumb question
            At least that is what I think the poster meant. I mean no insult by posting my take on the thread title so I appologize if it is read in that matter.

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

I took that as the meaning of the thread as well, as I can recall one time seeing a substantial boat on a trailer behind a dressed up chevy truck, it had imprinted on the stern the name "JAFTICA".
              I asked of the owner the significance of the name. He said it meant "Just Another F!@$%ing Thing I Can't Afford".

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

I must be getting old... Had never seen it before.

Comment

• Undefinition
                  • Dec 2006

Help with internet acronyms :B
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                  Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Jed
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Undefinition
                    :lol:

Comment

• CraigJ
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jed
                      I must be getting old... Had never seen it before.
                      Jed,

As a high school teacher, aren't you supposed to be up on all these cool acronyms? Me, I just thought "Warrant" hit the wrong keys...

Craig

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Call me old fashioned for requiring complete sentences and no text messaging. Although some might argue what the essence of a word is, these days. Anyway, we digress or should I say OMGWCMON (oh my god we can move on now).

Comment

• Warrant
                          • Dec 2010

I love you guys...the acronym analysis is correct and thank you for the responses.

And yes, WCMON

Do I have a sub, yes I currently have an Onkyo 607 with an Infinity TSS1200 5.1 and a pair of RW Oliver RB2s filling in as L&R. The room is 14x17x9 plus an 8x8x2 alcove to one side of the 14' wall. this is where the 61" dlp sits as close to center as possible. The alcove is divided by partial wall on the side of the tv seperating it from the components in a 1/3 2/3 configuration. there is also an opening 7.5x9 into the adjacent kitchen and the main watch point is 4' from the rear wall.

The speakers i wish to build would replace the Olivers and eventually the CC. Placement would be against the wall at the corner of the alcove and in front of the partial wall flanking the tv.
                          x x
                          x marks the speaker location

Budget? I don't need no stinkin budget. OK, not really, but perhaps we could start with experience and approximate low, medium, and high end for drivers and xover. I have a good supply of 3/4 G1S plywood and while not as good as mdf I have enough to build 3" walls 8O

Ask away.

PS Flesch-Kincaid level is 8.5 :B

PSS Formatting doesn't carry through...

Comment

• absolootbs
                            • Mar 2010

acronyms FTW.

don't feel bad jed... i consider myself pretty young and hip to the interwebz, and i'd never seen that one either.

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                              • Jan 2005

WTF BBQ? BBQ! I'd love some! My favorite is Beef Brisket!

Comment

• Warrant
                                • Dec 2010

All right ya bunch a heathens, back on topic :M :rofl:

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Warrant

Budget? I don't need no stinkin budget. OK, not really, but perhaps we could start with experience and approximate low, medium, and high end for drivers and xover. I have a good supply of 3/4 G1S plywood and while not as good as mdf I have enough to build 3" walls 8O

Ask away..

You don't have a budget? If this is for HT only, you might think of diminishing returns with ultra high end drives like Accuton Neo magnet mids and the like.

Most here have built the designs in the MA section of the forum and will say they're good designs. That's a good place to browse to get started.

Anything there look like it will work out? If placing near a wall you'll likely need a few db less BSC, but that's easy enough.

Comment

• Undefinition
                                    • Dec 2006

OK. back on topic, the Swope HT was designed with similar requirements to what you describe. The speakers are on shelves... which is essentially against the wall.

Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:14 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
                                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                                    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Warrant
                                      • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=Jed]You don't have a budget? If this is for HT only, you might think of diminishing returns with ultra high end drives like Accuton Neo magnet mids and the like.

As my wife is hearing impaired clarity helps even moreso than volume, but yes, perfectly flat at 44khz is kinda pointless, but I hate doing things twice if only once is needed. (addiction to power tools and building cool stuff excluded)

Most here have built the designs in the MA section of the forum and will say they're good designs. That's a good place to browse to get started.

As the size of the front changes, so does the cross over, correct?

Anything there look like it will work out? If placing near a wall you'll likely need a few db less BSC, but that's easy enough.

I am a luddite when it comes to electronics but willing to learn.[/
                                      QUOTE]

I would like a fairly tall narrow speaker (8x42-48") with good clarity and precise soundstage. To try and make it easier if I said 1k for drivers and xover would that be reasonable? I have a 12" sub now and will build A couple of end table 15-18" subs (ala Dan Neubac? (sp)) eventually so that should make the bottom end a little more manageable.
                                      Thanks again.

Comment

• Jed
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2005

When I said "high end drivers," I meant in regards to pricing not whether or not they reach over 20khz.

This was to establish your budget.

Comment

• Warrant
                                          • Dec 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	familyroomreno.webp
Views:	17
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	944610

This is an older in progress picture of where the speakers will go
                                          Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:15 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"