X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saabracer23
    • Sep 2010

Questions about the statements

Hello everyone, I have just about finished reading every single post in the statement thread. Only a couple more pages to go, it's easy to get lost in there. Yesterday I received 4 tang bands and 4 Dayton woofers (yay). I'm waiting for a payment before I order the tweeters and crossover components. I have a few questions. I have noticed people comparing these to very highend speakers, how would they hold up against the B&W 800 series like the 802D? How about the LW Orion?

One worry I have is that what I have read on ribbons is they are best to be listened to on axis at ear hight. Obviously the statements were designed to be listened to off axis and people seem extremely happy with them. I have not heard or read about the vertical dispersion of the fountek. I do about 90% of my listening standing up doing things, like cooking. I'm not at all questioning my choice of design, I'm committed, but just curious if another design would have met my listening styles better.

Dan
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Ribbons generally have decent horizontal dispersion - vertical dispersion is often quite controlled, however. Combined with the acoustic behaviors the open back mids bring, and their placement requirements, you may find a more dramatic improvement sitting in the sweet spot than most - however, you're probably not seriously focused on the music while up and about in the same way you might be sitting and listening.

As such, while they're probably not the best choice for "background music" type playback, I also doubt you will be disappointed with their performance in this regard - and very probably not at all when you sit in the sweet spot for some serious listening.

Comparisons are always hard, and I've heard neither the Statements nor the Orion, and I don't remember which B&W I've heard. They're all different flavors at the very least, which will complicate things - full dipole (Orion) vs Monopole (B&W) vs the interesting mix of mostly-monopole in the Statements. So the first thing I suspect anyone will say is that they're all different.

The driver quality is very good, the crossover designer excellent. I know I can say the same for the Orion, but I don't know about B&W

FWIW I have never found a good speaker that didn't make you go "oh yeah, *that* is why I sit here to listen" when you find the sweet spot. Omnipole is probably the best way to approach a true "anywhere around the room" listening experience, and for that you'd need an omnipole tweeter also.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by saabracer23
      Hello everyone, I have just about finished reading every single post in the statement thread. Only a couple more pages to go, it's easy to get lost in there. Yesterday I received 4 tang bands and 4 Dayton woofers (yay). I'm waiting for a payment before I order the tweeters and crossover components. I have a few questions. I have noticed people comparing these to very highend speakers, how would they hold up against the B&W 800 series like the 802D? How about the LW Orion?

One worry I have is that what I have read on ribbons is they are best to be listened to on axis at ear hight. Obviously the statements were designed to be listened to off axis and people seem extremely happy with them. I have not heard or read about the vertical dispersion of the fountek. I do about 90% of my listening standing up doing things, like cooking. I'm not at all questioning my choice of design, I'm committed, but just curious if another design would have met my listening styles better.

Dan
      Hi Dan,

I'll add a few thoughts to your question. Most ribbons have exceptional horizontal dispersion that not many domes can match. Vertical dispersion is dependent on the length of the ribbon. Short ribbons like the Fountek NeoCD3.0 that we used in all of the Statements series will have similar vertical dispersion to a 1" dome.

Longer ribbons are very directional which is why they are the best solution for a line array.

I think you'll find that the full sized Statements have a very full soundstage that you can enjoy walking around but you'll really like them once you decide to sit down in the sweet spot and actually listen. Part of the reason they have a very tall and full soundstage is because of the high crossover point from the mids to the ribbons. The W4-1337's have exceptional off axis dispersion.

Yes, do point then straight ahead for best sound quality. That's the way they were designed to be listened to.

The Mini's were compared to B&W 804's in a recent build thread that you can search for to get feedback. I can't comment on the Orions. I've yet to hear them.

HTH

Jim

Comment

• saabracer23
        • Sep 2010

Ok, thanks for the replies. I figured as much but I just wanted double check I guess. Either way I would have gone with them anyway.

Dan

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"