X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hoggy
    • Jun 2006

sub suggestions, 12" under 250

building a new home sub, already have an ep4000 and BFD, looking for 70music/30HT sub, and I like it loud, what do you guys recommend I look at, any good deals going on right now?

thanks
    Brian
  • BobEllis
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=693 or of you can stretch your budget a bit and can afford the space http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=652 Assumes that you are in the US

Comment

• pedroskova
      • Mar 2007

Buy 4 $50 drivers and wire them in series/parallel ... use the remaining $50 for the added shipping cost.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
        • Dec 2006

RSS315HF are on sale for $90 at PE right now . . .

Unbeatable . . .

Comment

• john trials
          • Mar 2009

I waited for PE to have a sale, then bought a SA240B ($99) and a RSS315HF-4 (~$105). Add terminal posts, and some MDF (2cuft sealed box), and you've got a really nice sub for both music and HT.

Check out Zaph's archives (go down the list a little to find the RSS315HF). http://www.zaphaudio.com/archives.html

Edit: Deward and I posted at about the same time, so I didn't see his post until I entered mine...but from my research, for the small amount of money, I agree with his statement: unbeatable.
          Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• hoggy
            • Jun 2006

you guys are great, for 90 its hard to pass on, will probably go that route, anything else i should consider?

Comment

• owdi
              • Feb 2008

$90 12" Ref is a steal, buy 2 if you have a large room.

Comment

• cbark
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by hoggy
                you guys are great, for 90 its hard to pass on, will probably go that route, anything else i should consider?
                You have plenty of power and say you like it loud, buy 2. Buy 4 if the budget allows, but I am not sure what size room you have and what your mains are, so that may be overkill.

Comment

• absolootbs
                  • Mar 2010

hope you bought one before now... PE site is listing the hf-8 (the one that was going for $90) as NLA

Comment

• hoggy
                    • Jun 2006

yeah, just figured that out, not quite sure what to do now, lots of choices

Comment

• hoggy
                      • Jun 2006

How does a Shiva X2 12 compare to the TC sound LMS-R 15?

Comment

• bobhowell
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Deward Hastings
                        RSS315HF are on sale for $90 at PE right now . . .

Unbeatable . . .
                        I was looking at this one but never saw that price?? $138 always came up.

Comment

• brent_s
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by bobhowell
                          I was looking at this one but never saw that price?? $138 always came up.
                          People are providing incomplete model names/numbers. The 315HF-8 was clearanced at $90 and went NLA early this week. The apparent replacement 315HFA-8 is on sale for $119. The 315HF-4 is its usual $138.

The 315HFA-8 models pretty much like the 315HF-4, but needs a slightly larger box for the same frequency response. The 3-4 ft^3@20ish Hz ported box that produces no peaking with the 315HF-4 has a mild (less than 1db) peak with a 315HFA-8. Similarly, the 315HF-4 sealed has a Q=.7ish in 1.8-2 ft^3 where the 315HFA-8 needs a little more than 3 ft^3.

-Brent

Comment

• brent_s
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by hoggy
                            How does a Shiva X2 12 compare to the TC sound LMS-R 15?
                            In what way do you want to compare them? That's pretty much an apples and oranges comparsion, albeit two very good varieties of apples and oranges. :-)

A typical 15" driver has nearly twice the Sd of a 12" meaning the 15" will produce nearly the same output as a pair of 12" drivers with the same Xmax. In this case, the LMS-R15 is rated at slightly more Xmax than the Shiva-X2 to boot...output is a function of displacement. Of course, the TC is $323 (well over your desired budget) compared to the Shiva's $238. To combine a couple of sayings from racing...there's no replacement for displacement, but how fast can you afford to go?

-Brent

Comment

• BobEllis
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

A closer comparison it the Tempest X2 - http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=652. It also is a bit closer to your stated budget. The Tempest will need a slightly larger box and gives up .4L of displacement. Depending on your room size, the Tempest will probably get 20 Hz @105 dB in room with a 3L sealed box with 3 dB of eq.

I haven't used either driver, but I do own a prototype of the Tempest X with similar cone but slightly different suspension parameters. You probably don't want to run it much higher than 200 Hz, which you wouldn't for sub duty anyway. If built like what I have, you'll probably be happy with the TempestX2

Comment

• Ray Tremblay
                                • Jun 2008

Another vote for some Dayton Reference Series subs. When set up properly, they sound amazingly clean and dig deep.

The more Sd, the better. If you have the room for it, get a single 15" model now.......get an additional one later when your budget allows.
                                Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

The Merlots
                                Scanspeak R2904/7000's, Scanspeak 15M4531K00's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, MiniDSP 2x8, Class D amplification

Comment

• hoggy
                                  • Jun 2006

picked up an LMS-R 15 locally brand new for 200, thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"