X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justphil
    • Nov 2010

cutting speaker holes.

Can any point me to a step by step or maybe a good video showing this process. A video would prob be best but I couldn't find anything.
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

Buy a jasper jig and router. Done.

Comment

• justphil
      • Nov 2010

I understand that silly. I just wondered if there were different methods and bits used to accomplish the job. I am hoping for more specific detail. =)

Comment

• joeybutts
        • Sep 2009

hahaha. I have a fixed base router and use a 1/4" up-spiral bit. I take my time, usually no deeper than 1/4" at a time, and just continue down and through.

A plunge base will make it a touch easier.

Comment

• justphil
          • Nov 2010

Now that is better. You gave me the type of bit and everything =P Thank you.
          OK so now I have a hole in the wood. What do I use the cut away material so the speaker can sit flush on the baffle? Or is that done prior to the all the way through the material cut? If the latter is true how is that done?

Comment

• RandyRSV
            • Apr 2009

Here's how I do it....works well! Good luck, and take your time (at least the first time). Randy

1) Attach/screw a scrap piece of wood to the back side of the speaker baffle you want to cut speaker holes in. Make sure the scrap piece is larger than the hole you are wanting to make....and that the screws are outside of the cut zone.

2) Drill a 1/8 inch hole (all the way through) into the baffle exactly at the center of the desired speaker location. Instead of using the 1/8 inch dowel pin that comes with the Jasper Jig, I use a 1/8" drill bit and push it through...all the way into the scrap piece of wood...leaving only enough drill bit shank sticking out for use with the circle jig.

3) Using my plunge router and the Jasper Jig, I then cut the outer circle that the speaker flange sits in. I cut downward to the depth of the speaker flange and make my first pass just slightly larger than the speaker flange diameter (for clearance). Then, I reduce the diameter (keep the same depth), and make another pass. Keep doing this until you are sure you are inside the diamter of the through hole you're about to cut in the next step. I use a sharp double flute straight cut bit...which works well for me. Others use up spiral bits. Also, I bought the Jasper combo pack (from PartsExpress) so I can cut holes for small tweeter speakers all the way up to large subwoofers.

4) Again, using the plunge router and the Jasper Jig, I cut the through hole in the baffle. I cut to a depth just deeper than the thickness of the baffle. When using a router, it's best to step downward when you're cutting...I step down about a 1/4" between each pass.

5) Remove the scrap piece of wood from the back of your speaker baffle....and you should be looking at a perfectly cut speaker hole!!!

Comment

• joeybutts
              • Sep 2009

I use the method nicely written above, or I know some people use Rabbet bits after cutting out the cutout hole to make the seat for flush mounting. I would do the rabbet bit method when working with laminate/veneer.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

I can't stress this enough - make the circle at least 1/16th larger than the published size of your driver... or it won't fit.
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• Solid7
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                  I can't stress this enough - make the circle at least 1/16th larger than the published size of your driver... or it won't fit.
                  It is much better to measure the drivers after you have them in hand. Assuming everything comes in at the right size, 1/16th of an inch air gap might be OK for you, but that's a bit sloppy for my liking. I like to fit them tight.

Comment

• justphil
                    • Nov 2010

Thank you all very much for being very specific. I am my own worst enemy and make things more difficult than they are.

Comment

• joeybutts
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Solid7
                      It is much better to measure the drivers after you have them in hand. Assuming everything comes in at the right size, 1/16th of an inch air gap might be OK for you, but that's a bit sloppy for my liking. I like to fit them tight.
                      This. 8)

Comment

• justphil
                        • Nov 2010

Can any tell me if the Router Buddy/Jasper Jigs will fit on Harbor Freight Routers? I am starting to buy some tools and am trying to keep costs down.

Comment

• Bear
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by justphil
                          Can any tell me if the Router Buddy/Jasper Jigs will fit on Harbor Freight Routers? I am starting to buy some tools and am trying to keep costs down.
                          No clue. Given that there are some really good quality routers in the $125 - $150 range (e.g., Hitachi MV12C), I would rather save the money a bit longer and get a better tool than go for the lowest cost I can find. A good, used tool from Craigslist might be a better option, as well.

It's not the greatest, but the $99 digital plunge router from Sears does a decent job for light duty and doesn't require an add-on depth gauge.
                          Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"