X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spy8181
    • Nov 2010

Natalie P's replacement driver?

I'm on a slow Nat p build project and went to order the Dayton RS180s and its discontinued.

Is the non shielded RS180 what I should use?

Please any help is appreciated. Thanks, Jared.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Jon hasn't had an opportunity to test the new drivers to see if they'll work as a drop-in replacements for the old shielded ones.

At some point I'm sure he'll test them out but that won't happen anytime soon.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• saabracer23
      • Sep 2010

I am in the same boat with the statements. From what I have read the non shielded ones will work in smaller cabinets if needed, but will work great as a drop in. Same crossovers as well.

Dan

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I wouldn't worry about using the new unshielded version of the RS180. Every one that's tested it so far has said it's a drop in. I'd build with confidence the end result would match the designers original speaker.

Jim

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Jon hasn't had an opportunity to test the new drivers to see if they'll work as a drop-in replacements for the old shielded ones.

At some point I'm sure he'll test them out but that won't happen anytime soon.
          I tested them in my 3-ways (the WWMTM with RS270/RS180/RS28) - they track superbly - better than some "exactly the same drivers, from the same batch" I've seen. And that's a crossover that's slightly finicky.

I am fairly confident they'll be good to go here.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• fbov
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by spy8181
            I'm on a slow Nat p build project and went to order the Dayton RS180s and its discontinued....
            Please any help is appreciated. Thanks, Jared.
            That's a good way to put it... a s-l-o-w build project.

Except this is my second pair and I had everything except 1 XO and the RS180's. Darn inconvenient of PE, but thankfully as others have noted, there is a near drop-in option in the new, unshielded drivers. The "near" part is due to the change in box tuning, which nicely fits my smaller (20L) boxes. If nothing else, it translates to a lower tuning, better than the alternative in my book.

Have fun,
            Frank

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

The RS180-8 requires a new box size and port tuning as per my tests and updated Dynamic Series speakers. The frequency response was the same as the old version (after making the slight port tuning and volume adjustments).

Comment

• spy8181
                • Nov 2010

This is my first DIY build and I was planning on copying the ~50L 11"x3" port 28hz tune talked about in the build thread, but this new driver has thrown a wrench into my plans with people talking about smaller boxes for them. I tried plugging numbers into WinISD but came to the conclusion I have no clue what I'm doing.

Should I stick to those old numbers or does anyone have a good volume, and tuned port dia. and length for the new drivers?

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Use Unibox to do the calculations for your application.

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

Ahh, the joys of sealed.
                    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Silver1omo
                      • Sep 2010

I toyed a bit with WinISD Pro (I don't have much experience either..) and don't see a huge difference keeping the same size and port, but if you go to 40L (20% less volume) and make the port 15.5" long (4.5" longer) it seems to work better.

So I guess you can go any direction and won't be bad...
                      Ivan.
                      My Statement monitors

Comment

• fbov
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by spy8181
                        This is my first DIY build and I was planning on ...Should I stick to those old numbers or does anyone have a good volume, and tuned port dia. and length for the new drivers?
                        I had not yet modeled the substitution, so here it is (from Unibox). I went for an EBS alignment (65L, slot port close to 8.6 cm diam x 8.4 cm long), so you see a long slow decline at low frequencies, bolstered by room gain for relatively flat response.

I have to take back what I said. Just dropping in the new driver results in a bump at the low end and a loss of mid-bass. Curiously, chopping 25-30% off enclosure volume gives an equivalent EBS response profile. I could not find a port combination that would get rid of the peak at 65L.

I'd keep the port dimensions you had and reduce the box volume. Then adjust by ear; it's not often you can tune with bricks...

Have fun,
                        Frank

PS if the charts don't talk to you, say so. Everyone starts DIY from a different place...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"