X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rustyxb
    • Nov 2010

Thinking of building Khanspires

Hey, im looking at undertaking my first attempt at DIY speaker. Have been doing alot of reading and looking through designs and have been thinking i might build a set of Khanspire's. Have noticed alot of people on this forum are building statements or statement minis and there is little mention of Khanspire. I live in New Zeaand and this is one of the reason for opting for the Khanspire's as i can get the Dayton drivers from a local diy audio website without having to go through the hassle of gear shipped half way around the world. Also like the idea of the sealed design that can be used closer to walls and plan build a sub to go with it at some point so the extra bass from the statements is not needed.

I have a couple of questions though, can the new unsheilded range of Dayton drivers be used in the Khanspire's or will the design have to be altered?
    Is there a hugh difference between the statement and the Khanspire's ie is it worth the extra effort to get parts to build the statement as it looks like i'm going to have to order crossover parts from the states anyway.
    I will be building up the rest of my set up at the same time and was wondering what kinda of power rating would be needed to power the Khanspire's decently?
    i'm planning on building a sub as well, any reccomendation on which subwoofer to base my design around? the local site i'm using stocks these brands Accuton, Aurum Cantus , Davis Acoustics, Dayton Audio, ETON, Gradient, HIVI, MOREL, Jantzen, P Audio, PEERLESS, SB Acoustics, Scanspeak, SEAS,Tang Band, Vifa and Visaton.

Cheers any help will be much appreciated
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

CJD has posted that he has tested the new drivers and they appear to be drop in replacements. So, it is looking good. The RS150 in the mid was the only one I was concerned about.

I don't think there are huge differences between the Statements and Khans in terms of sound quality. There are some differences in voicing, but I consider quality equal. The reasons for picking either is mostly room placement.

I use a 200W Outlaw 7500 amp to drive mine. This is more power than needed, they are fairly efficient speakers. More important is a quality amp that can handle low impedance levels.

The Dayton RS15" subs are always highly recommended. I've seen people subs with TB drivers. I know people have built Peerless subs also, but I'm just not familiar with any of them to recommend something specific. For maximum fun, I would recommend multiple drivers.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• GPHammer
      • Jul 2010

Rustyxb, welcome to the dark side, once you build your speakers you will never go back.

I tested my statements this morning starting from 10 inches from the wall, 15 inches, 18 inches and 24 inches and in my opinion I could not tell any difference, I settled of 11 inches from the back of the speaker to the wall because they line up with the front of my entertainment center.

Also, take K's advice on the amp, as I found out when DAR47 brought his Emotiva XPA-5 over to my place to exercise my statements, it does make a difference.

Whatever you build, Khans or Statements you will be happy, keep posting

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"