X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saabracer23
    • Sep 2010

Wanting to build new towers

Hello all, I decided to move up from my Polk LS90's. I want to build a pair of towers, no bookshelves due to the fact that a pair of monitors I had on stands fell and killed our first cat, my wife was traumatized. I am loving the idea of something from the statement line. I was fighting between the statements and the mini's. I think I have settled on the mini version because it seems I usually have "smaller" rooms and the extra bit of saving. Plus the WAF will help as well. I have the low end being helped with a sealed AV15-h. If anyone can think of a reason for me to go with the full size let me know.

Its a great time as most of the drivers are on sale! I have heard the new Dayton rs drivers are a little different from the originals used. Are they drop in or are there changes to be made? It was unfortunate to hear this, hopefully there won't be any sonic differences. Since I'm using a sub, should I build the sealed version or go ported? Are there any other designs I should look at in the same price range?

Oh and the sale for the TB drivers end Monday the 29th

Thanks
    Dan
  • saabracer23
    • Sep 2010

Ok, well with a little reading I figured out the new drivers for the most part. Still a little unclear if it will be ok to use the same volume and crossover. The more I think about it the more I want to do the full size ones. I just don't know if my room is big enough. The room is about 12' wide and about 24'-26' long. Sadly the speakers will be going on the shorter wall. I can get more exact measurements when I get home. Too small for the full size? That means I would be able to space them about 8' apart.

Comment

• saabracer23
      • Sep 2010

Ok so the room is 10' by 23'

Dan

Comment

• saabracer23
        • Sep 2010

Nobody? Hmmm well I went ahead and ordered 4 of the tang bands, I guess I'll just go big and see how it goes. If someone would like to chime in that would be great!

Thanks
        Dan

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
          • Feb 2010

Hi Dan,
          I am new at this too but here are some observations.
          I decided on the mini's out of sheer convienience size wise. The full Statement is truly large.
          All the Statement range are supposed to image very well, the difference being the 'impact' the larger drivers provide.
          Large room, high volume(spl) Large speaker.
          I have a largish sized room but don't require them to play too loud.
          Large speakers arguably require a good amplifier to run them to their potential, some say only a receiver is required, and although it will work, anyone who has tried a power amp in thier system never goes back!
          I am as confused as you about the new un-shielded speakers but the consensus seems to be that they are fine.
          My recommendation would be, when you have picked your design fire Curt a PM and ask him if you should tweek anything. Both Jim and Curt are top notch guys who have provided us with these designs.
          If you go sealed would the speaker fit on top of your sub, if so you have an excuse to build another one as the sealed version needs to be off the floor.
          Many regards to you
          Knights

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

You just need to be sure to keep them far enough from the walls.

And, you're not going big yet.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• saabracer23
              • Sep 2010

Ok sounds good, I think I'll go ported as I want to listen to music without the sub. As far as spacing from the rear wall I'm good as I wouldn't be able to put them closer than 18" even if I wanted too. What is optimum spacing from the side walls? Out of curiosity, what do you mean I'm not going big yet?

Dan

Comment

• Silversmoky
                • Nov 2007

I think cjd might be referring to these monsters!

Comment

• saabracer23
                  • Sep 2010

Oh yes those, those are big, and nice! I had my eye on those fore sure!

Dan

Comment

• Phil82
                    • Sep 2010

I have the minis in a 18x26 room and they more than fill the room with sound.
                    Either way i think you will be very pleased.

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

No, no... even those are small to me now. Not that I've finished anything bigger. Yet.
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• saabracer23
                        • Sep 2010

Oh so what is your idea of big, and what do you mean by yet? What do you have planned. So I'm down with either. Would either one be considered more "accurate" and "clean"? Being the mini is a traditional TMWW and the fulls having double the midrange in a MTM

Dan

Comment

• saabracer23
                          • Sep 2010

Well since I already ordered 4 TBs I just went ahead and ordered 4 of the 8" woofers so it looks like I will be definitely be going with the full size statements.

Dan

Comment

• 1Michael
                            • Sep 2006

If you ain't got dual 15's for bass bins, you ain't got big yet :W :lol:
                            Michael
                            Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• GPHammer
                              • Jul 2010

Dan

I just completed the full size Statements, my room is 28 by 16 and 12 feet high, the Statements are very impressive. I am also in the process of building the mini's and a center to round out the family. I am still fooling with the placement of the speakers but I have found no difference IMHO on distance from the wall between 10 inches and 24 inches.

Thanks to DAR47 who was nice enough to bring his Emotiva XPA-5 power amp over to my place this weekend I have found a huge difference between using a HT receiver or a power amp, I will now always go with a power amp.

Greg

Comment

• saabracer23
                                • Sep 2010

Thanks for the info, now I just have to move my LS90s to buy crossover parts.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"