X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justphil
    • Nov 2010

Tritrix center and surrounds question.

I am wanting to build a Tritrix center for my system for now and then build the left and right later. Seeings how it cost about the same to buy parts for 2 full Tritrix's my thought was I would buy an extra tweeter and xover parts and build a pair of Tritrix MT's for surround duty at the same time. I look on Curts sight and it shows the MT plans but no guide for the cut outs for the speakers. How would I figure where the cut outs go? Also there are a few screws visable in the pics that dont go into the speakers. What do those attach to? I appreciate any and all help.
    P.s. and extra parts needed to complete the mt's would rock =)
  • rdrowley
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by justphil
    I am wanting to build a Tritrix center for my system for now and then build the left and right later. Seeings how it cost about the same to buy parts for 2 full Tritrix's my thought was I would buy an extra tweeter and xover parts and build a pair of Tritrix MT's for surround duty at the same time. I look on Curts sight and it shows the MT plans but no guide for the cut outs for the speakers. How would I figure where the cut outs go? Also there are a few screws visable in the pics that dont go into the speakers. What do those attach to? I appreciate any and all help.
    P.s. and extra parts needed to complete the mt's would rock =)
    If you go here it talks about the enclosure design and explains where the drivers should be relative to the cabinet front.

I'm not sure what the other screws are for but I would guess to attache the baffle.

One thing to consider is that these MT's have a 4 Ohm load, not the easy 8 Ohms that the MTM's have. I'm not sure what I'd recommend you do here as I ran into the same problem. I ended up making 6 speakers when I only needed 5, but it was only slightly more expensive to build 6, so currently the "extra" speaker is providing music in another room and making my wife very happy that I had an extra... :T

You didn't say whether you are making a ported or a sealed. If you can I'd go with ported, that extra bass extension in the CC makes a nice difference IMHO.

Good luck! You'll end up liking them so much you'll have a full set before you know it!
    -Ryan

Comment

• justphil
      • Nov 2010

I didn't know the MT's were 4 ohm. Now I just dont know WTF to do. I guess I could just build 2 ported as if I was going to make an L/R and try them as L/R or just 1 as a center. I am jut a cheapo and want to do the most with the little biut of money that I will have.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
        • Jan 2006

From Curt's website:
        To keep the sensitivity and value high, the same drivers were used as in
        the Tritrix. The DC130BS-4, and the DC28FS. The impedance is
        consequently lower than the TriTrix MTM, but should be an acceptable
        load for any 6 ohm rated amplifier.
        What are going to use to drive them? You may be fine with the MT's.

Comment

• mackintire
          • Jan 2009

Or...as I responded to your other post...you could consider the Aviatrix build also by Curt

Comment

• LoveDoctor
            • Aug 2010

I used to run TriTrix MTMs up front and MTs in the rear off of a relatively cheap Yamaha AVR with no issues. I suspect unless you are trying to run at insanely high volumes for long periods of time, you will probably be fine.

One thing to consider, the MTs require a few more crossover parts, which brings the bill of materials up to near the cost of the MTMs. Unless the smaller size is needed, a full set of MTMs might solve a few problems for you.

Comment

• justphil
              • Nov 2010

OK I believe I'l just build 6 MTM's. A few things I am unsure of. How much stuffing do you put in them and why do I see that on some builds people cut out some wood on the back side of the baffle around the woofers? Is there an actual build guide I can follow or are the measurements all there is?

Comment

• rdrowley
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by justphil
                OK I believe I'l just build 6 MTM's. A few things I am unsure of. How much stuffing do you put in them and why do I see that on some builds people cut out some wood on the back side of the baffle around the woofers? Is there an actual build guide I can follow or are the measurements all there is?
                You'll love 6 MTM's! Good call!

For the stuffing, Curt said to "line the walls", so that is not much stuffing. When I did mine I made 19L boxes and put about 1/3 of the provided bag of stuffing in them. That may have been a bit too much and I might pull out a little in the future, but it was pretty close. If you put in too much stuffing it will cause the woofers to sound muffled.

Some people trim out behind the woofer to allow it to "breathe", this is usually a good idea, but the benefit in this case is minimal as the woofers aren't really big enough to move that much air.

The measurements on Curt's site are a good place to start, but the best part about building the cabinets on your own is you get to decide the best size and finish for them. Just make sure you get the port size right for the cabinet size.
                -Ryan

Comment

• justphil
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info =) I think I have changed my mind on the ported to unported as I will have 2 subs to handle my bass. I am building them off of Curts page and going with the measurements provided. I believe they are 6 1/2X20. I have no idea of what that means litre wise and don't know how that is calculated.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"