X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solid7
    • Jul 2010

New house, pondering line array IB sub

I just bought a new house over the summer, and am considering (once again) the subwoofer. I had originally designed a corner standing sub, but have started to doubt that position. I prefer the minimalist look of my new living room, and want to keep it as "uncluttered" as possible. Therefore, I have begun to think quite seriously about doing an IB sub. However, I have no room for a manifold. What I do have room for, is a line array, for up to -8- 15" subs. The baffle would fit in a 15" offset above my recessed wall. The only catch is, to fit them in this area, I would have to angle the whole baffle. (approximately 40 degrees off ceiling plane)

Is there any problem with this? Bracing is no problem, opening the ceiling is no problem, and I can't imagine this not sounding good. I would go with the AE 15's, provided I can still get the price break on 4 at a time.

Thanks for your input.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Impossible to comment without a picture of the room and a copy of the floorplan.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• john_l_murphy
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Solid7
      I just bought a new house over the summer, and am considering (once again) the subwoofer. I had originally designed a corner standing sub, but have started to doubt that position. I prefer the minimalist look of my new living room, and want to keep it as "uncluttered" as possible. Therefore, I have begun to think quite seriously about doing an IB sub. However, I have no room for a manifold. What I do have room for, is a line array, for up to -8- 15" subs. The baffle would fit in a 15" offset above my recessed wall. The only catch is, to fit them in this area, I would have to angle the whole baffle. (approximately 40 degrees off ceiling plane)

Is there any problem with this? Bracing is no problem, opening the ceiling is no problem, and I can't imagine this not sounding good. I would go with the AE 15's, provided I can still get the price break on 4 at a time.

Thanks for your input.
      For a line array with a small footprint that fits in the corner check out my Corner Line Array project here:

Audio Spectrum Analyzer Software and Loudspeaker Design Software. Purchase TrueRTA, WinSpeakerz and Introduction to Loudspeaker Design.

Cheers!

John
      John L. Murphy
      Physicist/Audio Engineer
      http://www.trueaudio.com

Comment

• Solid7
        • Jul 2010

The project that I am working on is an infinite baffle subwoofer, and will be in the ceiling above the soundstage. (if it works) I haven't gotten back to this thread (or any of my others) in awhile because I am booked solid, and have no AV time right now.

Unfortunately, I don't think this line array is what I am after. Although I certainly would have built something like this if I didn't have another speaker project in works. I have toyed with the line array idea for years...

As for the previous post, I am not sure that I understand why it would be impossible to comment on whether or not angling a line array IB sub towards the listener (because of clearance issues) is, or is not, a feasible idea. I was hoping to brainstorm the idea before jumping in with both barrels blazing. I didn't take pictures and draw a floorplan, because I don't want to waste the time if it isn't a good idea, or there is a reason not to. I'm not going to pull the trigger on the project without (eventually) covering all of the bases.

So I throw the question out one more time: Can I, or can I not angle the baffle of the line array? What are the considerations for or against doing so?

On the plus side, I have a very low pitch roof, and it gives me further clearnce in doing so. On the down side, I have a very low pitch roof...

Comment

• cbark
          • Jan 2010

As for the previous post, I am not sure that I understand why it would be impossible to comment on whether or not angling a line array IB sub towards the listener (because of clearance issues) is, or is not, a feasible idea. I was hoping to brainstorm the idea before jumping in with both barrels blazing. I didn't take pictures and draw a floorplan, because I don't want to waste the time if it isn't a good idea, or there is a reason not to.
          I am not trying to speak for ThomasW, but I would think that he is trying to start at the beginning by asking for a floorplan. The reason being not to "waste the time" of going over particulars when the space intended for the IB is impossible to work with.

The first things to determine would be "will the room work with an IB?" and "where best to install it?". The answers to those questions will determine how you place the drivers. The easiest way to determine this is with a little show and tell of the room in question. Hope this helps.

Also, please take a second to read the faqs section on the Cult website, should answer a lot of questions starting there. link
          If you have not read the Faqs page, lots of good info there.

...oh, and angling shouldn't be an issue, but exactly where you place the angled drivers could be. Also an array in a ceiling could pose some bracing challenges.

Comment

• Solid7
            • Jul 2010

Yes, I understand. But I also understand that in my room, it is one particular place, or no IB at all. (that is absolute) And yes, I will be posting pics and plans.

Comment

• cbark
              • Jan 2010

it is one particular place, or no IB at all. (that is absolute)
              That is what needs to be determined. Also, you will have to verify that the location will not produce any large nulls at the listening area before proceeding.

Post some plans and away you go!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"