X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TommyRocker
    • Nov 2010

New guy, question about excursion calculation

I want to use a HiVi M8A (or N?) in a ported box, as a subwoofer. I know it isn't ideal for super high SPLs but I live in a small apartment anyways. I've read good things about these woofers, and I have some M5a's in some MTM's I built that I really like. I also have to be honest and admit this will be motivated in part by appearance as well. I fully realize there are true subwoofers out there for the money, but I want this setup to look and sound good at the same time. I have WinISD, Which helps for box design and so on, but I need to know if I will exceed Xmax. If I'm in a 1.75 Cu.ft. box tuned to 29 Hz, and I'm giving it 80 watts RMS, how do I calculate if I will exceed Xmax? Also, the amp has a subsonic filter, which I assume should help but, as I said, I'm a novice. I would appreciate any help on this. Software to use, formulas, whatever. I prefer freeware because this is just a small hobby, I don't do enough to justify expensive software. Thanks again!

Oh, and I tried searching, but I couldn't find any help.
  • brent_s
    • Jun 2006

WinISD Pro Alpha has an excursion graph. Enter your 80 watts on the 'signal' tab and then choose 'driver-cone excursion' from the graph drop down.

Do you know the order and cutoff of the subsonic filter? It's possible to include that in the WinISD model. Something like P-E's SA240 or BASH300 would be entered using the EQ/Filter tab...highpass/S.O.S. user specified/cutoff=18Hz, Q=1...but, this only works for 2nd order Sallen-Key type filters.

-Brent

Comment

• TommyRocker
      • Nov 2010

Thank you Brent, I will have to check what version I have and see if I can figure out how to do what you are talking about. From what I can gather its 2nd order in the mid 20s. Time to sit down and start studying... Thanks for the help, I had no idea WinISD had that ability.

Comment

• collo
        • Nov 2005

Some WinISD tips
        Ports rule ...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"