X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcolbur1
    • Nov 2010

Fill a sealed Dayton RS TMWW design

How should I stuff a Dayton RS TMWW cabinet? The cabinet is 10.75"W x 42"H x 14.5"D. I know I need some open cell foam around the cabinet, but I don't know how much polyester fiberfill I need to stuff in the box. Any suggestions? Also, the tweeter and mid will be in a separate enclosure sealed off from the woofers. Should I also stuff this space?

Thanks!
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lcolbur1
    How should I stuff a Dayton RS TMWW cabinet? The cabinet is 10.75"W x 42"H x 14.5"D. I know I need some open cell foam around the cabinet, but I don't know how much polyester fiberfill I need to stuff in the box. Any suggestions? Also, the tweeter and mid will be in a separate enclosure sealed off from the woofers. Should I also stuff this space?

Thanks!
    I Didn't stuff mine just line everything 1 to 1.5" open cell foam except front inner baffle. The mid chamber 3/4" on top bottom sides and 1.5" on the back. Tough to line behind the mid chamber, just stuff.

Comment

• lcolbur1
      • Nov 2010

So the Dayton RS TMWW don't necessarily need any polyfill or polyester fiberfill? When might a speaker require this stuff?

Comment

• Undefinition
        • Dec 2006

here's a reasonable rule of thumb: line a vented enclosure, stuff a sealed enclosure.

My speakers, if it's vented, I line the walls with convoluted foam (eggcrate), then add a few puffs of polyfil if necessary. If it's sealed, I fill the thing up with polyfil. The only time I do something different are on really small speakers like the Overnight Sensations, where it's too small to line the walls, and a few handfulls of polyfil does the trick.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
        Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• lcolbur1
          • Nov 2010

Ahh, ok. Should there be anything between the polyfil and mdf?

Comment

• dar47
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lcolbur1
            Ahh, ok. Should there be anything between the polyfil and mdf?
            Not sure which version you built, I did DM's and I didn't see any builds with stuffing, but you can experiment by lining everything with foam and I would stuff behind the the tweet/ mid chamber. Listen then try to lightly stuff and see if you like it better. The stuffing might lower the woof's response a bit, but the lining is to kill back wave.

I tried a little stuffing in the mid chamber and it muffled the mid response, I think you will find 1.5 on the back and 3/4 to 1" foam on the sides will sound nicest in the mid chamber. If you use hurricane nuts or loosely screw drivers in you can remove a driver and experiment to see what you like. I did my cabs twice and the 2nd time I used a heaver 1" and 1.5" open cell and I did like the sound better.

Comment

• lcolbur1
              • Nov 2010

Okay. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"