X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

2RCC Questions (Issues?)

I just fired up my 2RCC that I was building and am a little surprised by the results. I was expecting a pretty big sounding speaker but it seemed to have to struggle to keep up with my Statement Monitors. The bass, in particular, seemed to be quite reserved. Maybe it performed right and I just don't really understand how a center is supposed to sound, or maybe it just needs some time to break in, but I was expecting a more dynamic sound from it. I am driving it with a NAD 140 watt amp and I used almost two full bags of AcustaStuf in it - 1/3 lbs in the mid-chamber and the rest throughout the rest of the speaker (including in back of the mid-chamber). I also fully lined the walls in the woofer area with 3/4" Sonic Barrier except where the crossovers are mounted. Is it possible I put too much dampening in it? Can it make a big enough difference? I did play the Nora Jones CD in 'PL Music' mode and that actually sounded really good, however, the sound stage for movies and other music seemed to be lacking a bit. I was really surprised by the low amount of bass being put out by the RS225s relative to the RS180s that are in my Monitors. Like I said, maybe it sounds how it is supposed to and I just don't realize it, but I am surprised that those big woofers seem so reserved. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks,

Matt
    Last edited by snmhanson; 12 November 2010, 15:25 Friday.
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

You're running a receiver/pro pro, correct?

Have you recalibrated your setup yet? Are you sure the center isn't set to small or a crossover is robbing some of the bass?
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• snmhanson
      • Jun 2010

I am using the pre-outs from a Marantz receiver to a NAD T 973 amp. I did play around with the setting including briefly setting the center to large. It changed the sound but I don't think it made it appreciably better. However, it was late and I didn't make much of a mental note as to how it sounded. To clarify, the 2RCC should be set to large, even if I am using sub? I have the crossover set to 80 which is the lowest I am able to set it. I guess I could try running it with the system set to no sub to see if it changes anything. The weird thing is that I was running the Monitors in stereo with the sub and they sounded great. Once I hooked up the 2RCC the entire system seemed to lose it's edge.

One thing that I was going to do, but haven't had the time yet, is put the 2RCC on end in place of one of my Monitors and then listen in stereo mode to get a direct comparison to the other Monitor. Obviously the 2RCC wasn't designed for that purpose but it will hopefully help me narrow things down a bit. I'll do that after work today. And like I said, maybe I am just not understanding the role of the center channel and it isn't supposed to put out much of the bass anyway. I'm assuming that isn't the case though because if it is, why put the RS225s in there?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

The Dayton drivers are pretty stiff new, and do require some time to break in.

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
          • Feb 2010

I remember Frodaddy explained to me that he stuffed the woofer section to reduce some interaction with his av stand.
          I basically had the same impression you had when I fired mine up also, therefore when I strip down the speaker to apply the veneer I am going to use less stuffing and see how that sounds.
          My impression was lean bass (could also need break in also as stated)
          However the dialog and music from the mids and the ribbon sounded fabulous.
          Hope this helps
          Knights

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Since it is a sealed design, it'll have a different character to it than a ported alignment. If you are rolling off the bass at 80hz (small setting) there isn't much there to compare to the mains set at fullrange. So the comment that you didn't notice much of a difference from the small setting to fullrange setting leads me to believe there is something else in your set up causing an issue. It should be quite noticeable.

Check the polarity of the woofers as well.

Maybe a couple other people can chime in that have built this center to elaborate on their setups.

Comment

• snmhanson
              • Jun 2010

Thanks for the replies. I am watching Terminator Salvation right now and everything sounds pretty good. I turned my subwoofer up a little and am listening at a slightly higher overall volume than in the past. I still wouldn't mind a bit more out of the CC but it seems like it may be opening up a little. I'm just not the best judge though as my sound memory isn't very good. I do agree with Knights though that the dialog and music (just switched to a CD) coming from the mids and tweeter is spectacular - incredibly crisp and clear. I am starting to think that part of the problem is that when it comes to bass I am used to and overabundance of rumbly and boomy bass and these speakers produce nice, tight, clean bass.

I did switched switch out the 2RCC with my left Monitor and it sounded good there. Not exactly like the other Monitor but not lacking so I think everything is wired correctly. Once again though, my critical listening skills are somewhat lacking so I can't say with 100% certainty. I do have to say though that the 2RCC was pretty impressive looking standing on it's end and I am half tempted to get started on a similar design for my left and right - maybe a derivative of the Statements. I could always put the Monitors on surround duty...

In short, the 2RCC seems to be growing on me the more I listen to it. I still wouldn't mind a bit more bass out of it, but on the other hand, that's what I have a sub for, and my Monitors can fill in as well.

Matt

Comment

• KnightsOfNi
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by snmhanson
                I do have to say though that the 2RCC was pretty impressive looking standing on it's end and I am half tempted to get started on a similar design for my left and right - maybe a derivative of the Statements. I could always put the Monitors on surround duty...

Matt
                Have you seen the sealed Statements? :W
                Might be just what you are looking for
                Regards Knights

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"