X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coconutout
    • Oct 2006

yet another statement tweak question from an addict

tweaking my statement monitors have become a habit of mine. could somebody remind of the reason why i shouldn't change around the air core inductors in it with better quality ones than the parts specified on the BOM? was it the dc resistance? what can i expect to hear if i do change them out for more expensive jantzen cross coils?
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

I'm not going to debate whether better inductors sound better. Not productive. And, I think you're one of the few likely try it and decide for yourself, rather than debate based on what others have said.

Yes. It is DC resistance. Each inductor acts like a resistor also. So, if you replace an iron core inductor with low DCR with a 18ga air core with higher DCR, it can be like putting as much as a 2 ohm resistor in the circuit. Just picture the difference in DCR like putting a resistor in front of the coil. With the inductors being in-line with the driver, this can make a huge difference. It will directly reduce the woofer output.

I wouldn't change them unless you can match the DCR pretty closely, which is going to require some pretty hefty and pricey inductors. You can experiment in advance by sticking a resistor in front of the current inductors and see how it sounds. Maybe you'll like the leaner bass? (Just don't run it too hard while testing and catch the resistor on fire. )

Good luck...
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"