X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smnjn
    • Nov 2010

Scan-Speak Rediscovery Loudspeaker

I have designed a 2 way loudspeaker with Scan-Speak 7 inch sliced cone Revelator and Scan-Speak Discovery HDS Tweeter (formerly Peerless HDS 810921). Both the drivers are ultra low distortion and crossover is @1500 Hz LR4. Madisound is selling the kit at just under 600 USD:

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

You may ask be about the details of the design by e-mailing me.

SUMAN JANA
    Last edited by smnjn; 04 November 2010, 07:15 Thursday. Reason: Typographical error in the title
  • NyxOne
    • Jan 2008

It could be nice to have a little background on who you are!

Also, why did you cross so low ? The SS 7" could have been crossed higher (eg:2khz) and have no/minor ill effect on power response and get some pressus off the Tweeter!?

Chuck

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Why not post the design here?

BTW, I removed your email address from your post, so spam harvesters don't pick it up.

Comment

• smnjn
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by NyxOne
        It could be nice to have a little background on who you are!

Also, why did you cross so low ? The SS 7" could have been crossed higher (eg:2khz) and have no/minor ill effect on power response and get some pressus off the Tweeter!?

Chuck
        I am a DIYer building loudspeakers for 15 years. I am from Kolkata, India. Since 2008 I am using CAD and importing seas, scanpeak, usher and peerless drivers from the US.
        Looking at the response curve alone one may think that the Revelators can be crossed even at 3 kHz. But non ideal behaviour in the Revelators sets in after impedence blip at 850 Hz. So the Revelators should start rolling off at 850 Hz in its low pass section. Hence 1500 Hz crossover point with LR4 slope. One may cross Revs at 2 kHz with LR2 slope but that needs complex and expensive delay network.
        No issue with the tweeter at 1500 Hz crossover point. It is the Revs low end that determines the system power handing.
        I have tried different crossover point 2 kHz downwards. The 1500 Hz crossover point sounded the best.
        At the end it is the best sounding speaker I have built so far.

Comment

• smnjn
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Kevin P
          Why not post the design here?

BTW, I removed your email address from your post, so spam harvesters don't pick it up.
          Design is there in the Madisound site (link pasted above).

Comment

• ultrakaz
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by smnjn
            I am a DIYer building loudspeakers for 15 years. I am from Kolkata, India. Since 2008 I am using CAD and importing seas, scanpeak, usher and peerless drivers from the US.
            Looking at the response curve alone one may think that the Revelators can be crossed even at 3 kHz. But non ideal behaviour in the Revelators sets in after impedence blip at 850 Hz. So the Revelators should start rolling off at 850 Hz in its low pass section. Hence 1500 Hz crossover point with LR4 slope. One may cross Revs at 2 kHz with LR2 slope but that needs complex and expensive delay network.
            No issue with the tweeter at 1500 Hz crossover point. It is the Revs low end that determines the system power handing.
            I have tried different crossover point 2 kHz downwards. The 1500 Hz crossover point sounded the best.
            At the end it is the best sounding speaker I have built so far.
            I like the approach with 1500Hz crossover point, especially when using a 7". Actually, I would prefer even lower around 1150Hz if possible. I've read comments at Zaph's and Troels site about lower crossover points and the "invisible" crossover region. Vance Dickason wrote that a 1200Hz crossover point resulted in speaker that sounded more "open." Probably, most commercial manufacturers shy away from this approach because there are too many headbanger audiophiles who will turn it up way too loud. Also, most 1" domes cannot be crossed that low without costly high order protection. The end result is that there are many many speakers that sound the same.

Having said the above, have you or did you try a crossover point lower than 1500Hz with these drivers or any other drivers for that matter? And what were your findings?

Comment

• smnjn
              • Nov 2010

With those drivers natural roll off of the tweeter prevented me to go below 1400 Hz.

Comment

• Deward Hastings
                • Dec 2006

One can also get down to 1400-1500 Hz. with several Seas and Usher (including the Dayton RS28 ) tweeters without problems, and I agree . . . it almost always sounds better there with almost any 6-7 inch mid-bass.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"