Dedicated 2-Channel Speakers, Which Ones?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClosetSciFiGeek
    • Oct 2009

Dedicated 2-Channel Speakers, Which Ones?

So I have purchased a turntable and have really gotten back into two channel listening. Right now I am listening through some Zaph Audio ZDT3.5's that I built and use in my home theater setup driven by an Emotiva UPA-7 amplifier and an Outlaw 990 preamplifier. I have also found that more often than not I end up turning off the SVS PC-Ultra sub when listening to music. Now that you have my current state I will pose my question.

I am building a two channel setup in my now Finished Room over the Garage(12' x 20' with 9' ceilings) because there is a lot of demand on the home theater setup for my entire family. I am using an Emotiva USP-1 as the preamplifier and I haven't decided on a Emotiva UPA-2, (2) UPA-1's or an XPA-2. My sources are a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable and an Emotiva ERC-1. I listen to Blues, Rock, Jazz, Country and some Classical in roughly that order of preference. I do not intend to augment the speaker with a subwoofer, at least initially if at all.

What would you build as a two-channel speaker for my proposed two-channel room with those components and that size room?

Thanks for your consideration
    "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
    -Hyman G. Rickover
  • rj45
    • Jun 2006

Nice source gear, dude.
    First choice, full size Statements.
    Second choice, mini Statements.
    Depends more on the volume level you like to listen at.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Ardent
      Isis (?) - I think that's the open baffle option

the large WWMTM's I did would do well in that room and give you lots of nice reach, perhaps, though I'm nervous about the driver changes (no shielded any longer, and the crossover for those is rather picky)... I'd go XPA-1's here though.

Have you dug through the thread of finished projects? Lots of options out there.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

You should give us a budget..... :W
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
          • Oct 2009

Budget $1000
          -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• dar47
            • Nov 2008

I'm bias, but i have the same Emo gear in a similar sized room. For $1000 the Modula MT MK2's or the 2.5 would not disappoint. I added a 10" Seas L26roy sub but it's way over kill and used rarely only when I'm feeling like filling in the bottom octaves on some stuff. With your music likes and budget the MK2's would be hard to beat and Emo gear does sound vary nice with these.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
              • Oct 2009

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked out your thread. Beautiful speakers. Love the front baffle.
              -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Phil82
                • Sep 2010

Do you intend to listen at high SPL levels ?

My suggestion would be the mini-statement, though they will probably end up costing a bit over 1k$ (depending on your finish and choice of wood, binding posts, etc...). The bare parts will cost about 800$

I have not built nor listened to many of the DIY designs here but I did have a chance to compare the mini-statements to a handful of high-end commercial loudspeakers in the very same room/same setup and the minis are awesome.

Of course, if budget and room permits, the full-size statement will be even better though more expensive/bulky.

just my 2 cents, happy hunting

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                  • Oct 2009

I like to rock out sometimes, but in general I do not listen overly loud. I am pretty happy with the power output from my UPA-7 downstairs when listening 2-channel.
                  -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

That's a very large room. I'm not sure.... The 4T's are nice and very filling of any space really, The MT MK2's are very interesting for sure! I was hoping you were going to have a higher budget

I'm going to be building Jed's Symphonia 7.2's I think for my 2 channel setup in the next 6-8 months probably.

Comment

• richnen
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Dougie085
                      That's a very large room. I'm not sure.... The 4T's are nice and very filling of any space really, The MT MK2's are very interesting for sure! I was hoping you were going to have a higher budget

I'm going to be building Jed's Symphonia 7.2's I think for my 2 channel setup in the next 6-8 months probably.
                      I am planning to build the Symphonia's as well. Need to finish the Minuets first and then save some $$$!
                      Seas Idunn
                      ZA5.2
                      ZA5.3CC
                      SB Acoustics 12" sub
                      Statement Monitors
                      CLD M5B

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yeah I'm going to pair the Symphonia's with some Passlabs Class A amps, just got the PCB's for them today Aleph X's. So I think it'll be pretty far up there in quality. I really want a detailed speaker that's able to resolve anything I throw at it.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                          Ardent
                          Isis (?) - I think that's the open baffle option

the large WWMTM's I did would do well in that room and give you lots of nice reach, perhaps, though I'm nervous about the driver changes (no shielded any longer, and the crossover for those is rather picky)... I'd go XPA-1's here though.

Have you dug through the thread of finished projects? Lots of options out there.

C
                          Yeah, it's sort of strange to see PE changed their drivers (at least I got a pair of RS270s really cheap). The bad thing is, most of the RS designs on these pages will not work properly any longer
                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Well I think most of them will be ok.

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

I have drivers on the way, I'll be evaluating more directly.

It will be both the MTM, as well as the RS180's in the WWMTM's I think. I can't justify picking up 2 RS270-8's just for testing, but if the other two work out really well...

Box modeling so far has them just about in the same place.

Comment

• parodielin
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by cjd

It will be both the MTM, as well as the RS180's in the WWMTM's I think. I can't justify picking up 2 RS270-8's just for testing, but if the other two work out really well...

Look forward to your evaluation. I am thinking RS150 + RS28F MTM.

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by parodielin
                                  Look forward to your evaluation. I am thinking RS150 + RS28F MTM.
                                  There will be an evaluation against both the Seas and the RS28*

The drivers will be used in something new, however. will run 42"H, 15"D, and 7.5"W (though 8.5"W is the smart way to go, I am going to try salvaging a royal screw-up on my part and building at 7.5")

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                                    • Oct 2009

Anybody build or have opinions on these from Madisound? I like both the tweeter and midwoofer and they are in my price range.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

How do you think this design compares to Zaph's ZDT?
                                    -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Should be pretty decent.

Comment

• Face
                                        • Mar 2007

Go three way.
                                        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Face
                                          Go three way.
                                          Agreed.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2007

Yep.
                                            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• ---k---
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjd

Huh...

I got a PM from someone looking to build the Khans. I told them that you only did crossovers with real data, and without the drivers in your hands that a revised crossover wasn't going to happen. And, I was guessing that you getting the drivers in hand was low. And, I figured that you had moved on to new projects... and now I read this?

So, what are the odds of getting new Khans crossovers? I'm most concerned about the RS150 not mating up. Sounds like the...

woops, thread hi-jack...
                                              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Face
                                                Go three way.
                                                Face, cjd, JohnLoudb which three ways would you suggest. I see that you listed the Regals, I did a search for Regals and came up empty. Do you have them documented somewhere? I am not completely tied to my $1000 budget that was kind of arbitrary just to get me in the ballpark. The payback for DIY as compared to commercial speakers is ridiculous and I like building stuff so this is pretty good fun for me. My ZDT3.5's that I built for about $375 apiece blow my buddy's Polk Audio Lsi15's at our last Speakerpalooza(get together).
                                                -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Face
                                                  • Mar 2007

I'm 99% done with the Regals, although they did well at NY DIY, there's one more thing I'd like to address/tweak before publishing them. FYI, the drivers alone would blow your budget and the crossover uses 27 parts per speaker.

As for the LSi15's, they're not bad for a commercial offering. I had a pair here for a little bit, they measure really well but the quality of crossover parts(solid core coils, electrolytics) hold them back.
                                                  SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• dar47
                                                    • Nov 2008

If your thinking 3-way Rick at Selah http://www.selahaudio.com/index.html has some nice kit offering's in the around $1000.0, but with that room is the 3-way going to resolve any better? I'm really blown away with Jon's wave guide and I wonder what Jon or even Zaph with his wave guide would think? If you need more db maybe the 2.5. I don't mean push or dissuade you but i sure would like to see some more of these builds. For me the system design has a big impact and Jon's xover work has these sounding vary good. I think you would have to step up in drivers to do better, but that's just my thoughts. I'm sure you find what your looking for.

Comment

• 1Michael
                                                      • Sep 2006

My vote is for the large RS 3ways by CJD.
                                                      Of course they will cost a bit more coin...
                                                      Michael
                                                      Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                                                        • Oct 2009

Buggers, I sent you a PM. You live really close by(like less than 30 minutes most likely). Having a get together to finish a friend's Chameleon's(designed by dlr) on Saturday. I sent you my cell number if you are interested in getting together and talking audio stuff and listening to a few sets of speakers.
                                                        -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• kmibb
                                                          • Apr 2010

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"