X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lcolbur1
    • Nov 2010

2.5/2 way tower suggestions

Hi,

I am interested in building a 2 or 2.5 way tower speaker pair, preferably using Seas Prestige drivers. My budget is around $500 (certainly less of course!). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • lcolbur1
    • Nov 2010

Actually, I do not necessarily need a tower system, nor do they need to have Seas Prestige drivers. I guess I am just looking for something a little different than just a two way speaker set. Perhaps the Natalie P's?

I just finished a Zaph ZA5.2 build and would like to do something different and perhaps better.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Soo, you want another speaker, maybe better than the ZA5.2, definitely different... tower or not, or...

That's pretty wide open.

Have you spent time digging through the "completed projects" thread? There are a lot of options out there. And a lot of potentials that won't fit your budget. But that's OK.
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• evilskillit
        • Oct 2008

You can build a set of Zaph Seas Waveguide TMM speakers for around 500-600...

Comment

• lcolbur1
          • Nov 2010

Ok, after researching some more, I'm either going to go with the Waveguide TMMs, or the Modula MTMs. How do these two designs compare, and are there any others similar to them that may also be good?

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

In that price range? There aren't *that* many options that I can recommend highly that I also suspect would tickle your fancy.

I mean, the Ansonica is a pretty basic 2.5-way but drivers alone would run you just shy of $500.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• 707kevin
              • Oct 2010

Did you find the za5.2's too small, or lacking anywhere? I'm working on boxes right now...

Comment

• lcolbur1
                • Nov 2010

Actually, they are really excellent! I just want to try something a little different. I am curious to 2.5 ways and hearing the difference to the Zaphs. I am interested in floor standing speakers only because then I wouldn't have to build stands. The Modulas look pretty great, but how do they sound compared the Waveguides or other similar builds?

Comment

• Silversmoky
                  • Nov 2007

I can't give you a direct comparison between the Modulas and the others but I can definitely recommend the Modulas MTM's. They were my first diy speakers a few years ago & I still compare new designs to them. To me just a very accurate, smooth sounding speaker.

Comment

• lcolbur1
                    • Nov 2010

I am leaning towards the Modulas, however, the Dayton Shielded RS 180s are discontinued. Is there any other way of ordering them? Can I just use the unshielded version?

Comment

• fordmaker
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by lcolbur1
                      I am leaning towards the Modulas, however, the Dayton Shielded RS 180s are discontinued. Is there any other way of ordering them? Can I just use the unshielded version?
                      There is a set of RS180S-8's listed in the "pawn shop"

Matt

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"