X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil82
    • Sep 2010

Mini-Statements (impressions)

Finished building my minis about a week ago, will post pictures soon as I still need to fill in some gaps and veneer them (I am unable to unhook them).

I must say, I was a bit worried... While i didn't question the value I didn't know if they would fit my taste. All I can say is wow! They greatly exceeded my expectations.

Comparing them to my father's B&W 804s (if that can give you a reference point); They have a much much bigger soundstage (thanks to the open back midrange), the imaging is just as good and better bass extension. The 804s are a tad lean on the bass side (imo) whereas the minis have a bit more punch (perhaps a little colored there but very articulate and well balanced). And the highs are, well, different... Ribbons have that special sparkle and "airy" sound.

As for SPL level, the minis will play quite loud. They will however become a bit harsh at very high levels faster than the 804s (gotta give them the point there). Though this was above what I would call loud listening (YMMW).

Thank you Jim, Wayne and Curt for an incredible design and for all your swift replies to every builders questions and concerns.

Note that the equipment listed below is my fathers, Mine is more humble; NAD C317 Integrated amp, Zhaolu 2.5 DAC connected to a PC feeding uncompressed audio through SPDI/F. Controlled from an iPod Touch via WiFi.

Phil

Equipment used for comparison:
    Arcam CD Transport
    Bryston BDA1 Audio DAC
    Bryston BP26 Preamp
    Bryston 4BSST Amplifier
    B&W Nautilus 804s and Mini-Statements
    (tried a few diff. speaker cables to find the best match)
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the excellent feedback! :T

I'm glad to hear you and your father enjoy the Mini's as much as I do.

Jim

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
      • Mar 2010

Thank you so much for your review - comparisons like this between a DIY speaker and another speaker (be it DIY or otherwise) are far too rare.

If you like to expand your review, you could select various types of music and listen to the same tracks on each. A really fine speaker will sound good with most different types of music, but no speaker can be perfect with every track

Good to see another satisfied builder. Some of us (like me) spend too much time listening to the speakers rather than the music they're playing

Comment

• Curt C
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Phil82
        As for SPL level, the minis will play quite loud. They will however become a bit harsh at very high levels faster than the 804s (gotta give them the point there). Though this was above what I would call loud listening (YMMW).
        Glad you are enjoying them Phil, and I also appreciate the feedback.

C
        Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Phil82
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by SpeakerGuy
          If you like to expand your review, you could select various types of music and listen to the same tracks on each. A really fine speaker will sound good with most different types of music, but no speaker can be perfect with every track
          I did listen to many different styles on both (not in a direct A-B comparison though) and while I have not noted exactly which design handles best which songs i can say that the minis performed flawlessly with music ranging from classical, piano concertos, violins to the more extreme and complex stuff like Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment (Progressive metal); while these last 2 are not the best reference for voicing a speaker timbre, they do quickly point out other flaws by the shear complexity/amount of sound output.

Originally posted by SpeakerGuy
          Some of us (like me) spend too much time listening to the speakers rather than the music they're playing
          While I did listen to a lot of stuff in an analytic way; I found myself listening to complete albums (when I just wanted to hear a particular song) only to realize that I it had played through the whole album

Comment

• Curt C
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Phil82
            While I did listen to a lot of stuff in an analytic way; I found myself listening to complete albums (when I just wanted to hear a particular song) only to realize that I it had played through the whole album
            That tells me you were listening to the music and not to the speakers. The ability to allow one total immersion into the music is probably one the finest accolades one can pay to a speaker design.

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"