XPA-3 ordered, what cables should I buy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbardmusiq
    • Jul 2010

XPA-3 ordered, what cables should I buy?

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

They put a few things on sale over there and I couldn't hold out on a purchase, what cables do you guys recommend for these type of amps? They sell one cord on there site for $30.00 the balanced XLR cable is it worth it? Can someone drop a link for a better deal?
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

I'd check out SignalCable.
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Face
      I'd check out SignalCable.
      Oh Lawd! there very expensive! ($139) this is what people are paying? I was wondering could this be like HDMI cables you can't tell a difference in the high price ones and the 3 dollar version.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by bigbardmusiq
        Oh Lawd! there very expensive! ($139) this is what people are paying? I was wondering could this be like HDMI cables you can't tell a difference in the high price ones and the 3 dollar version.
        Digital and analog are two different beasts. That being said, 139 is a bit steep. You looking for speaker wire or ICs?
        -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Monoprice, Inc. (DBA. MonoPrice.com) specializes in the wholesale distribution of world class cable assemblies for home theater, PC, and high technology industries. MonoPrice.com offers a wide range of products from standard PC products, network cables, and HDMI cables to custom cable assemblies and wiring harnesses.

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
            • Jul 2010

thanks!

Comment

• numberoneoppa
              • Sep 2009

I love monoprice.
              -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                • Oct 2009

Does your preamp support XLR outputs? If not build your own RCA's. It's fun and you can make it match your amp. That is what I did. I documented it here:

I built these because I was appalled at what high end cables cost. I am in the Navy and have built cables for the control and operation of nuclear reactors on both Submarines and Aircraft Carriers. This is far easier. Parts Express sold me all the parts. I just bought an UPA-7 amplifier from Emotiva so my cable color choices

I would use XLR's if I could though.
                Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:49 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
                "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Face
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
                  Does your preamp support XLR outputs? If not build your own RCA's. It's fun and you can make it match your amp. That is what I did. I documented it here:

I built these because I was appalled at what high end cables cost. I am in the Navy and have built cables for the control and operation of nuclear reactors on both Submarines and Aircraft Carriers. This is far easier. Parts Express sold me all the parts. I just bought an UPA-7 amplifier from Emotiva so my cable color choices

​

I've been building my own XLR's for the last year and probably won't go back to pre-made cables. But, I wouldn't bother with XLR cables unless all components in the chain are fully balanced.

As for Monoprice interconnects, I tried them and thought they sounded awful. I would recommend cheapo patch cables from Radio Shack before those. Another good suggestion would be Mogami cables: http://www.mogamicables.com/
                  Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:49 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I got Monoprice XLR's and put some techflex around them to make them pretty

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010735.webp
Views:	24
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	944586

Edit: BTW this was used with an XPA-3 direct from my dual mono DAC. I tried several cables and didn't hear any difference from the mono price cables, not to mention I took them apart to put the tech flex on and they are built very solid and the wire is a nice quality copper wire. Now maybe if you get into some ultra expensive cables you MIGHT hear a difference (placebo or not?) but as far as budget cables goes don't think you can go wrong with monoprice.
                    Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:50 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
                      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek

​

I don't think so (Onkyo nr1008 ) http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i I think I need RCA to XLR input. Help!!
                      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 12:50 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Face
                        • Mar 2007

Since your source is single ended(RCA), I would stick with it throughout.

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

RCA from Canare or Mogami used in 95% of all recording studios And also our sponsor cables :T
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Mazeroth
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Face
                            As for Monoprice interconnects, I tried them and thought they sounded awful. I would recommend cheapo patch cables from Radio Shack before those.
                            I, on the other hand, use nothing but Monoprice cables and think they're a great bargain and sound just as good as any other high-end cable I've used. :T

Comment

• Amphiprion
                              • Apr 2006

I too build all my own cables with Canare. It's nice quality stuff and I can make everything to the lengths I need. But I would have no problem with the Monoprice stuff either.

Comment

• cacophonix
                                • Feb 2006

I've used monoprice, and they seemed just about okay to me. I liked bluejeancables, you might want to check there as well. Also signal cable - they are inexpensive compared to other boutique manufacturers, and seem to be just as good.

Sorry for being off topic here - I want to build a few interconnects (incld a long one for my subwoofer), and have decided on canare L-2T2S.What do you guys suggest for the RCA terminals?
                                Last edited by cacophonix; 28 October 2010, 10:01 Thursday. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Amphiprion
                                  • Apr 2006

I like the Canare F series solder RCA types. Markertek has them I think. I've only ever used them with Canare Star Quad but they should be fine with the L-2T2S.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

If you're looking for nice cables Catcables is the way to go.

Comment

• Theresa
                                      • Jul 2010

The least expensive cables that have good construction is what to get. Spend money on things that make a difference.

Comment

• Theresa
                                        • Jul 2010

I forgot to say that I ordered the XPA-3 on Friday too. I have my partially assembled actively crossed over system sitting here waiting for it. XLR cables seem very costly to me for what they are. I could see them being justified when you have a long cable run as professionals often do but not for me.

Comment

• Face
                                          • Mar 2007

If the components being used have fully balanced circuitry or you have long runs, it's worth using balanced cables. FYI, just because a piece of gear has balanced in addition to RCA connections, doesn't mean it has fully balanced circuitry.

Comment

• cjd
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Dec 2004

Having long runs and NOT having fully balanced cables won't really help you any... But long line-level cable runs is one place where it's really nice to have a setup with fully balanced signal.
                                            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• 1Michael
                                              • Sep 2006

I just bought 7 each, XLR cables from monoprice for $38. I think that is reasonable :T If I had money there are better cables, but I would bet my golden ears cannot hear the difference.
                                              Michael
                                              Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"