X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikey15
    • Jun 2008

Khancenter or RS wmtw center

I think I'm going to build some Khans. My question is will the RS wmtw be a better center match because it uses the same drivers as the Khans or will it be hard to hear a difference between the RS180 vs the RS225. Size is not an issue
    Thanks
    Mike
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

Go big or go home.

Supposedly you will be satisifed with the Khancenter, but I figure if you have the power, and the drivers, go with the RS center. I have the same plans, which should be starting here in a week or two.

Comment

• mikey15
      • Jun 2008

I wonder if the xo is going to change with the un shielded drivers. I think I'm with you it is going to be the RS center. Which XO are you going to use for the RS center. I'm thinking CJD because he designed the Khans.

Comment

• joeybutts
        • Sep 2009

That was exactly my thoughts...

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

First problem is going to be finding the drivers. It appears that PE has decided to discontinue the shielded 8 ohm drivers used in all of these designs. The replacement drivers are close. Curt has decided that the RS180 and RS225 are close enough to be used as the woofers in the Statements. I have some concerns about the Khans, since we're using the RS drivers in both the mid and woofer position.

Here is an exchange I had with CJD:

"Ryan" wrote: >Have you taken a look yet at the new RS150-8 yet to decide if they are close >enough to the old? Or are the Khans dead?

"CJD" wrote:

I've looked but honestly have no idea on compatibility yet. Same problem for the 225 and all the rest. Not sure the best answer yet though redoing the mtm is cheaper than the 3 way designs as far as a live test goes.

I've read many forum posts where people exchange drivers randomly and are very impressed with the results. So, maybe swapping the drivers would be good enough for many. But, it may not meet CJD's perfectionist standards.

Someone should buy and ship him a set of drivers for testing.
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BOBinGA
            • Mar 2009

From a quick look through the crossovers for each, the Khancenters look like the best match. They use the same basic crossover slopes and the drivers are in the same polarity as the Khans. All the variations of the RS WT/MW design have different polarities and would sound out of phase with the mains.

The new RS unshielded drivers look like they are simply the old drivers with the shielding cup and bucking magnet removed. It doesn't look like the driver suspension, cone or voice coil has changed. (I haven't measured them yet, so I could certainly be wrong, but the new specs indicate that only thing that's changed is the magnets.) You might have to change the size of the boxes slightly to account for the new T/S paramters, but the crossovers shouldn't have to change since the same suspension should have the same frequency response in their usable bandwidth, the impedance hasn't changed and there is only a very slight change in efficiency, if any, due to the magnet change. But obviously, only remeasuring the drivers will tell for sure.

-Bob
            -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
            My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
            The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

I did a crossover for the larger RS WT/MW center that should be a pretty good match for the Khans. But I thought this used the shielded tweeter, which was NOT a direct swap, in my experience, for the un-shielded tweeter - at least, not in all designs.

I know simply pulling the bucking magnet results in less than optimal changes, so hopefully these aren't *just* that. Everything points to them being drop-in swaps, but I'm always so hesitant to just make a blanket claim of that sort. With Curt also thinking this, it's probably safe.

Mean time, I'm seeing what I can do to get my hands on some to at least try in the MTM, and go from there. A MKII of the big towers is quite temping, I must say... Get a couple features into the mix I shoulda done in the first place.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• BOBinGA
                • Mar 2009

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the tweeter. Those are different since the shielding cup is an enclosure and would definitely affect its low end and require some adjustment.

-Bob
                -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• joeybutts
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by cjd
                  But I thought this used the shielded tweeter, which was NOT a direct swap, in my experience, for the un-shielded tweeter - at least, not in all designs.

C
                  Pretty sure the RS center uses the unshielded RS28A.....Someone please double check and clarify! Tanks.

Originally posted by from post #4 regarding misc topics
                  Miscelaneous discussion common to both

Shielded vs Unshielded drivers

The drivers used for both the center and towers are the same, and are listed in the first post. The RS28A tweeter needs to be UNSHIELDED, but the mid and woofer are SHIELDED. Discussion:

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                    But I thought this used the shielded tweeter, which was NOT a direct swap, in my experience, for the un-shielded tweeter - at least, not in all designs.
                    C
                    I spent 5 minutes in that the original thread. I saw no reference to the shielded tweeter. I think you may be getting your designs mixed up.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"