X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

What about this for baffle material?

I have been trying to make a decision on what to use for baffles for my Statement Monitor/2RCC build and started thinking what was available outside of the typical wood/mdf materials. We were thinking of using a product called Richlite for our countertops when we were building our house but ended up going with granite. Now I am thinking that it may be a great material for speaker baffles. Other than being difficult for the consumer to obtain, it reportedly is easy to cut and route and I don't believe it would have any of the expansion/contraction issues that wood has. It also is available in several thicknesses and has a decent selection of colors to choose from. I'm not positive on the cost but I remember it being maybe just a little cheaper than granite. Maybe some of the suppliers have some extra scraps from old jobs lying around they would be willing to sell for cheap. If the consensus is that it would be a good product I may call some suppliers or even the company itself to see if I can get my hands on some. They also have a division that sells cutting boards under the name Epicurean available in various sizes and thicknesses. What do you all think? Is it worth a shot? I am sure it wouldn't be cheap but it may not be more or much more than nice hardwood baffles.

Matt
  • evilskillit
    • Oct 2008

Honestly, sounds like really fancy MDF. Having said that I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work but I'm not sure how much advantage there is vs cost. If you're looking down this avenue you could also look into bamboo (easy to get from cutting boards) or Corian, which is interesting, by it's self its expensive but you can get scraps for nothing or cutting boards for a fair price and it machines easily.

Comment

• snmhanson
      • Jun 2010

We ordered some samples of Richlite when we were looking at countertop material and it is more like a cross between Corian, granite and MDF. It is definately much stronger than MDF, although the manufacturing technique is similar. Another key difference is that it has a consistent color all of the way through and would not need a veneer. Of course you have to be content with one of the colors that they offer. I was looking at bamboo as an option as well but I don't think it would look good with the curly maple veneer I am going with. Corian would be interesting but I'm not sure how easy it is for the hobbiest to work with. I just figured I may take a look at Richlite if I can find it for a decent price.

Matt

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Appears to a something like a new-age 'green' version of phenolic. Should be fine for baffles.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• evilskillit
          • Oct 2008

Yeah I wasn't saying Richlite is MDF, I said it sounds like super snazzy MDF. It is after all wood fiber and resin, its sounds like a much better version tho.

As for Corian you can work it with any tool you can work wood with. I don't think our countertop installers at Home Depot used any special tools other than possibly CNC machines for the sink cutouts and roundovers but they were the same sorts of bits you'd use for wood I'm pretty sure. You could try to get a sample and run it through a saw and route it to see what happens.

Comment

• snmhanson
            • Jun 2010

Thanks for the replies. Sent Richlite an e-mail so I'll see if they respond. If I don't hear from them or if it is too much of a hassle and/or too expensive I'll just stick with a more conventional method for the time being.

Matt

Comment

• Face
              • Mar 2007

Colored sawdust should add some contrast to the shop.
              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• evilskillit
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by snmhanson
                Thanks for the replies. Sent Richlite an e-mail so I'll see if they respond. If I don't hear from them or if it is too much of a hassle and/or too expensive I'll just stick with a more conventional method for the time being.

Matt
                If you don't get a response from them directly you might try to find a local installer for them and see if they can just order some extra on their next job and sell it to you at square foot pricing or something.

Comment

• dar47
                  • Nov 2008

Based on the thicker bread boards it's double the cost of Bamboo and kind of plastic looking. After my latest project I really like the harder front baffle material for something like a waveguide, wonder how it hand sands though?

Comment

• CBerg
                    • Jul 2007

here is a thought, Paperstone is very similar and has specials or cut sizes at discount. Both of them are made within miles of each other in WA. See here http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/do...e_Specials.PDF

Comment

• snmhanson
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dar47
                      Based on the thicker bread boards it's double the cost of Bamboo and kind of plastic looking. After my latest project I really like the harder front baffle material for something like a waveguide, wonder how it hand sands though?
                      I saw the prices on the cutting boards and there is no way I would pay that much. Might as well have richnen make me some granite baffles if I am looking at paying that much (not that the granite baffles would be the same price, but I am guessing they would be in the ballpark). I am hoping they have some scraps to sell for cheap or, as evilskillet said, maybe I can get some extra from an installer.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"