• Jul 2004

Thanks Jon. I look forward to receiving the details

Cheers,
    Ron

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      The LCR LF zobel with the D2904 is 68uF + 2.0 mH (can be high DCR) + 5 ohms net. By 5 ohms net, I mean that the DCR of the 1.8 MH inductor plus the resistor should equal 5 ohms. Most likely you can buy a 1.8 MH air core inductor with about a 1 ohm DCR, and add 4 ohms in series. For example, the 2.0 MH "standard Inductor" line at PE is 1.07 ohms.

Regards,

Jon
      Jon,

This would replace the 700uH + 136 uF + 4 ohm circuit on the Zobel circuit for the XT25? Just want to be certain. Thanks a lot for the information.

Regards

Comment

• Ten 99
        • Apr 2004

Jon,

I sent you a PM regards to the PDF files.

Thanks,

Chris.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Jon, a bit off topic but what is your favorite 7" that can be crossed at 2500 Hz, LR4? Would it be the Eton you used in your monster project? Or maybe one of the Focals?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Daryl Furkalo
            Jon,

This would replace the 700uH + 136 uF + 4 ohm circuit on the Zobel circuit for the XT25? Just want to be certain. Thanks a lot for the information.

Regards

Yes, that's correct-a-mundo!

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
              Jon, a bit off topic but what is your favorite 7" that can be crossed at 2500 Hz, LR4? Would it be the Eton you used in your monster project? Or maybe one of the Focals?

That would be the SEAS W18EX001. Or, if you prefer, the lower sensitivity version.

The X1 Kones were the last speaker I did before I really started getting rabid about the whole cone breakup thing. In fact, they kind of drove that, because although the particular Eton's I used look pretty good out to 5 kHz, doing some snooping re close mic measurements and the impedance curves, after I wasn't fully getting the sound I hoped for, revealed some more subtle problems, with cone modes that manifest as dips, associated with energy storage.

IMO, there are few or no other 7's you could probably get away with that. Mind you, I'm being a stickler about applying my personal criteria- other's would argue you can make a good speaker even if the cone isn't pistonic in the operating range- I disagree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course.

The SEAS G18RNX/P might work; the plots look good, but I'd like to see ETC data and some close mic scans at center, mid cone, and edge before making a call. It has a very suspicious looking blip in the impedance curve at about 800Hz, though it looks pretty smooth above that.

For example, the Focal 7W4411 has modes at 1400 Hz and 2800 Hz.

The Vifa XT18WH08 has modes at 300 Hz and 1200 Hz.

The Revelator 7" has a nice mode (well, not NICE!) at 800 Hz, like most ScanSpeak 7" and 8" drivers- it's practially a signature thing for them, becuase they design the cone to have a rising response above 700-800 Hz, so that with a simple low pass function you can get typical baffle step plus a zero in the response to come out of it ~ 800 Hz, while the network keeps rolling off. Ouch, for $225, you'd think we could do better!

The carbon fiber-paper ScanSpeaks do the same thing to a lesser degree, but the 18W8545K is still not a driver I'd use to 2.5 kHz, (look at the peak at 3 kHz), and it has modes at 800 Hz and 3.2 kHz.

Now, if I was thinking budget speaker and a crossover like you propose, I'd look closely at the Peerless HDS without the phase plug. There's a friend back east I may build something like that for, with the Seas T25C without ferrofluid.

Image not available

Low in energy storage and distortion, trade off is toward Xmax, so with a couple in an MTM, you can get some reasonable LF out. Of course, I'd cross them over lower; heck; why not a Millenium or SS9800 at 1500-1800 Hz? I've got a design like that on the digital drawing boards, too. At the lower crossover frequency, the driver blend for an MTM is much better.

But then, maybe I might use M6N's if I can get hold of them anywhere, just out of "nostalgia"? :W

Regards,

Jon
              Last edited by theSven; 28 August 2023, 12:25 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Thanks, Jon. I was thinking about a high-SPL 3-way where you might need to cross high to keep from overloading the tweeter. So the mid might cover somewhere between 200 and 400 on the low end (depending on floor bounce) and 2500 on the high end to something like the Millennium.

Just a thought experiment - through wall, IB, (2) TC Sounds 12", W18EX, Millennium, all LR4 acoustic, adjust the Fc's for best in-room high-SPL response at a 15' sweet spot. Active crossovers so sensitivity isn't an issue.

Comment

• Al Garay
                  • Jan 2004

If you are going up to 2500, why use the Millenium? You can use the Seas Excel T25CF 001 (non Millenium) which according to Dennis Murphy is identical to the Millenium if you are crossing over high.

But, I think if you are following the gospel according to Jon, you would want to use the low crossover point afforded by the Millenium or the SS9800.

So many choices.

Al

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

2500 (maybe 2000 at the lowest) is how high you need to cross the Mill for a "high SPL" system according to my calcs. The Seas 001 only has 1/2 the Xmax and the 9800 only has 1/5 the Xmax so they aren't really contenders for that application (IMO). I know the latest fad is crossing them low but it looks to me like you're going to hit Xmax limited distortion if you do that. Crossing an octave higher buys you 12dB more clean sound.

Comment

• Al Garay
                      • Jan 2004

This is good learning.

I don't understand the role of xmax for tweeters. If it is critical, wouldn't the Accuton C23-6 with xmax of 1.2 be the best?

Al

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Tweeters are just like any other driver. If everything else is equal, the one with the larger Xmax will give you more SPL at low frequencies. Of course, everything else isn't equal when comparing different models and brands so Xmax is only one factor in picking the best one for your application.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Dennis H
                          Thanks, Jon. I was thinking about a high-SPL 3-way where you might need to cross high to keep from overloading the tweeter. So the mid might cover somewhere between 200 and 400 on the low end (depending on floor bounce) and 2500 on the high end to something like the Millennium.

Just a thought experiment - through wall, IB, (2) TC Sounds 12", W18EX, Millennium, all LR4 acoustic, adjust the Fc's for best in-room high-SPL response at a 15' sweet spot. Active crossovers so sensitivity isn't an issue.

I think that's a very reasonable idea, Dennis - depending on the driver height you use, 350 should be about right (per Roy Allison's boundary studies), the TC2+(s) should be at the floor boundary, and the tweeter not too far above ear level seated. I'm guesing you're talking about doing the whole thing in wall (like a studio monitor built in flush); this certainly kills any worries about BSC comp. Only down side is you don't get the usual LF boost below 100, because everything is boundary loaded.

What sort of SPL are you shooting for in this thought experiment?

One last point, for a "point source" speaker, to avoid beaming and flare effects in the crossover region, at 2500 Hz my "loosey-goosey" recommendation is that the center to center distance of the drivers is no more than 5.25". (13570/Fx) My "tight@ss" recommendation is that the outer boundary of the radiating drivers at crossover be no more than 5.25", which at that frequency is clearly impossible. But this tells you where a 7" woofer starts to beam. :W

At 1250 Hz you can double those distances, which explains why I went to a lot of trouble to develop an 8" two way crossed over with steep slopes at 1250 Hz. And why our recommended MTM configuration has the woofers scrunched up together with the tweeter offset. But it's not a high SPL system, of course- but within the limits, it sounds pretty nice. Great on and off axis curves through the crossover region, too, which is pretty important to overall in room sound, especially if you're not sitting locked in the sweet spot.

And it does seem to be hard to directly compare tweeters from different mfr's just on specs. I've built a system with the C23-6, and I found it a pain to work with, and the best large baffle curves I could get with my B&K mic wasn't nearly as good as what they publish- unlike what I get measuring a Focal TC120, for example, which correlates very well with the factory curves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	M8-IINoGrilleSS.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	948608

Which brings me to another thought- crossing over at 2500, I'd also look at the TC120TD5 tweeter- except that I'm hearing Focal is pulling out of supplying drivers to anyone external, DIY and otherwise. It's a very good tweeter in the $80 range if you don't need to go low- one of my favorites. It's much flatter (in my measurements) than the C23-6.

However, the Focal's are not "forgiving", being more on the analytical side of things- first rate source gear and electronics are suggested!

Regards,

Jon
                          Last edited by theSven; 27 August 2023, 20:16 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Aug 2002

What sort of SPL are you shooting for in this thought experiment?
                            I dunno, it would be a combined multichannel music and HT system so pretty loud. THX calls for 105dB transients. I'm just kicking ideas around in my head. The best wall to mount a screen has the garage on the other side so IB speakers look like a natural. If my calcs are right, including baffle loading, distance to the seats and contribution of the mid, the Millennium at Xmax would give me about 105dB crossed at 2000 and 110dB crossed at 2500. It would be nice not to have to drive it to Xmax. If I were to start tearing out walls, I'd probably do an acoustic ceiling too (tile plus a foot of fiberglass in the attic for bass trapping) so, with heavy carpet, vertical polar response wouldn't be a huge deal. Standing only puts you about 10 degrees off axis at the most.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"