Statement Designs and the new RS drivers: Winds of change or status quo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john trials
    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
    Hi John,

Curt's comments were about speaker height and the way the sound lobe emits from the front of the speaker. It's the open back mid back wave that's the problem. To get the back/front wave to blend properly and sound as designed, the back wave needs to be reflected forward off the wall behind the center and blend with the sound wave coming out of the front of the speaker.

When you have the center positioned under a large TV or in an entertainment stand, the back wave is blocked and can't blend with the front wave.

I hope that makes sense.

Jim
    Yes, that makes sense, and it's a detail I didn't consider, so thanks for stating it. My TV is not very large, so I hadn't thought of the blockage from a huge TV.
    Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I just experienced this exact issue and, with Jim's help, did some rearranging of my setup. I found a way to get the CC above the TV and flipped it over. It's amazing what a difference it made! :T
      -Chuck

Comment

• Deft
        • Feb 2012

Hi Guys, can you confirm a 20% reduction in volume (based on having the new drivers) of the sealed Statements enclosure means that I could simply reduce the length from the original 14 1/2" to something like 12 1/2" (based on my shady math) and i would not ruin the sound? I'm not sure if i want to mess with the original dimensions of the box but I do know that since they're required to sit 18" from the wall the extra 2" length reduction could positionally help our current room layout. Thanks!
        Last edited by Deft; 01 February 2012, 15:35 Wednesday.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Deft
          Hi Guys, can you confirm a 20% reduction in volume (based on having the new drivers) of the sealed Statements enclosure means that I could simply reduce the length from the original 14 1/2" to something like 12 1/2" (based on my shady math) and i would not ruin the sound? I'm not sure if i want to mess with the original dimensions of the box but I do know that since they're required to sit 18" from the wall the extra 2" length reduction could positionally help our current room layout. Thanks!
          I assume you're talking about full sized Statements and the new unshielded RS225-8 drivers. Here's the problem with what you're proposing. There are two dimensions that are closely tied to the crossover development, the width and depth. You can vary either up to 10% per Curt but I would not suggest anything more than that. It can alter the sound by exceeding those dimensions.

You don't have to alter anything with the new drivers. They'll work great in the same size enclosure and sound as designed.

Jim

Comment

• Deft
            • Feb 2012

Sorry, I should have specified; you were correct to assume full sized statements and the new unshielded RS225-8 drivers. Okay, I understand, that makes sense.

I don't think I'll risk altering anything if they'll be as good as drop-ins, but great information to know for future. Thank you very much!!

And a BIG thank you to all involved for designing and sharing the 'Statements' I am very excited to start building.

Craig

Comment

• Coconutout
              • Oct 2006

hi jim, how about starting a q&a thread for the statement series? with so many questions surfacing regularly for your wonderfully peculiar design i thought it would be a good idea
              to compile them all in one place.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Coconutout
                hi jim, how about starting a q&a thread for the statement series? with so many questions surfacing regularly for your wonderfully peculiar design i thought it would be a good idea
                to compile them all in one place.
                That's an excellent idea but one that probably won't be initiated by me in the near future. I'm still buried at work and am preparing to get my affairs in order (so to speak) for knee (both) replacement surgery next month. It sucks to get old!

Maybe once I've recovered enough to get bored, I'll take a crack at it. I also need to update the BOM's for each Statements design but just haven't had time.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

Comment

• BBLV
                  • Dec 2007

So just to confirm and verify, keep the enclosure specs and port length the same for the Statements with these new unshielded drivers.

I plan to start a new, rather unique build shortly. Look for my build thread coming soon!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BBLV
                    So just to confirm and verify, keep the enclosure specs and port length the same for the Statements with these new unshielded drivers.
                    Yes...

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"