A Different kind of thread (a thank you)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ezecuel
    • Oct 2010

A Different kind of thread (a thank you)

I hope this post doesn't become a wall of text, but I wanted to say thank you to you guys here in the Mission Possible forum, but not for the awesome speakers I'm building. (Statements FWIW)

I wanted to express a different type of thank you, but this requires a bit of back story.

In the Summer of 06 my grandfather had set off across country to visit his brother in Kansas (he and I live in Texas). He and his brother had been fishing, and were returning home. A drunk driver came across the road and hit a semi truck, which cased it to slam on its breaks and my Grandfather to rear end the semi truck. Responders to the scene were expecting a body.

After 3 weeks, dual knee replacements, hip replacement, and about a dozen other surgeries, my Grandfather was medivaced home to Texas. Where he spent the next 6 months in an rehab facility. Despite the quick medical care and joint replacements, there was little to be done for his right ankle. It was fused together, but could support no weight.

Being 80, a little stubborn, and having gone through all this he did not seem to take all this seriously, and seemingly resigned himself to be in a wheelchair for the rest of his days. He eventually got a power chair, and quit going to physical therapy, despite my Grandmothers' and family nagging.

Before all of this, Granddad was a avid woodworker. He did it as a hobby, not a trade, but he had built all the cabinetry in their house, as well as desks and office furniture. The problem is that Granddad's shop is in his cellar.

When celebrating his birthday this past April I offhandedly mentioned to him that I'd like to build some speakers, would he mind if I use his shop. He graciously, albeit a bit sadly it seemed, said that he didnt mind, and even razzed me asking if I knew how to use a drill. ( I'm more of a indoorsman )

Months went by and I was just digesting info from you guys, learning all I could. Come my birthday in August my Granddad, to my surprise, brought up my speaker project, and gave me a gift card to the hardware store so that I'd have no excuse not to get started. So I did just that.

Little did I know that my semi flippant comment about making speakers had inspired my Grandfather to try physical therapy again. For four months he had been relearning to walk, and had a prosthetic boot made to stabilize the bad ankle to get him up and able to walk with a cane.

He did all of this with only my Grandmothers knowledge, and this past weekend, entered his shop for the first time in 4 years.

I wanted to share this story with you guys, and say thank you. Without the knowledge shared here building my confidence enough that I began to think that I could even undertake anything like this I would not have got to spend the weekend working with my Grandfather. Much less get to see his face light up when he took those first steps back in to his realm.

Again, my heartiest of thanks.

--Brandon
  • blue934
    • Mar 2008

Wow! Awesome story. Enjoy these moments with him.
    I know the best times I had with my dad where in his shop, that's where we became the best of friends.

david

Comment

• evilskillit
      • Oct 2008

Congradulations, reminds me I need to go visit my grandpa again. I try to do so often, but it never hurts to make an extra visit.

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Great story! My mom is still recovering from a knee replacement that she had a difficult time with. But, she's slowly improving. Hard to imagine going through all your grandpa did.

I also have fond memories of working on projects with my grandpa.

Thanks for sharing!

John
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Wow, that's quite an amazing story! Good luck on the speakers and have lots of fun with your grandfather.

-Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

That is really, really cool! Thanks so much for sharing- at any age serious injuries can be a problem, and coming back from them when you're older is certainly just that much harder! hope you two have a blast doing them, and certainly any moral support or encouragement can be found here, though we'll defer to Curt for any technical issues on the Statements!

Let's face it, building stuff is good for the soul! And the body, too!

~jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Impressive... most impressive. Clearly the Force is strong in these two... Regrettably, not all of us forge such strong family relationships.
              DFAL
              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Curt C
                • Feb 2005

Ezecuel, this has got to be the best 'Statement' story I've ever heard. -If for no other reason than this, I'm proud to have been part of the design.

-If I can be of any assistance, post, or drop me an email.

C
                Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• Bent
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2003

building things is indeed good for the soul.
                  whether it be loudspeakers or a new knee.

I'm 42, I have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my left knee from working and abusing it and was told I'll need a new knee.
                  But, I was told I'd have to wait about 15 more years, cause I'd prolly just wreck the new one if they did the surgery.

BTW - that was a powerful and inspiring story, thanks much for sharing.

Comment

• Eric S
                    • Sep 2000

Brandon, what a great (and inspirational) story! Its sometime curious how little it takes for someone to look at a situation from a different perspective. I'm glad to hear that things are going well and thank you for sharing!

Eric
                    My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"