X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeybutts
    • Sep 2009

Statements vs. Khanspires

Have there been any threads comparing the two designs? I have found bits and pieces here and there but no solid comparisons between the two designs. Maybe my search abilities are sub par. I'm 99% set on the Khanspires (Heck! I started collecting the drivers already! ) but just out of curiosity was wondering what are the differences in the two designs.

Aesthetically they both offer an excellent form, and I know performance wise they are both superb. And mated with the Dayton RS Center the Khans will be real nice for HT. I do listen to music quite a bit, but not very critically (though every design I do build enlightens me more and more to the little nuances of audio).

So can anyone enlighten me with a thorough compare and contrast? Thanks!!
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

No one has put both designs in a room and listened extensively (that I know of). Most of us won't give a detailed review comparison without doing that (beware of those that give opinions about speakers they haven't heard). I've heard the Statements at Iowa, they were very nice and I would recommend them to people, but it wasn't really enough listening for me to to develop solid opinions beyond that.

They are the same but different. Same because they are both quality designs, different because they use different mids and tweeters. Biggest difference to me is room placement option. Statements are intended to be away from the wall some, while the Khans are intended to be placed close to the wall. Output capabilities and dynamics and such are going to be similar. The open mids will sound slightly different, the ribbon tweeter will sound slightly different. I don't think either one is necessarily better or worse, just different.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• joeybutts
      • Sep 2009

Wow, I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened yet as much as these two designs are considered and as many people have built them! Thanks ---K--- for jumping in here.....

Wall placement is a nice option and a big part of my leaning heavily toward the khans

Is one design tailored more toward music or HT?

Does one design handle power better in terms of max power rating as well as efficiency?

Is there any difference in the low end output between the two?

Does one image better than the other?

Just a few questions I've had.

Comment

• 1Michael
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by joeybutts
        Is one design tailored more toward music or HT?.
        I don't believe speakers know the difference between a movie or music Accurate sound reproduction is the goal of both designers. Now subs are a different ballgame. A HT sub is usually designed to go lower.
        Michael
        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• joeybutts
          • Sep 2009

Thanks Michael! Nice to see a fellow DIYer that lives only 15-30 min away.

Ahhhh...sub's are what I was thinking about. Thanks.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

Dunno that I agree with the statement about subs. I will say, a lot of people will be less picky about the low low low end for movies, but I certainly want 16Hz for music (and 8Hz is preferred) if I can get it.

There are so very many variables in room setup that contribute to things at a detailed level such as "imaging/staging" and such that, as Ryan said, you can't *really* compare without having them in the same room, setup, etc. I've NOT heard the statements, but by reputation (and some having met Jim and heard his comments on specific designs) they're excellent - but also their own thing. And I very much want to hear ome Statements in a good setup.

In the end, I think if your room setup needs point you one way or the other, go
            that route. Otherwise, dunno. Try to listen to both? Or flip a coin.

As they share woofers, bass extension CAN be identical - it's all in the box, whether you build sealed or ported.
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• joeybutts
              • Sep 2009

If I am able to fund it, eventually I would love to have both sets of mains.

I hope that we do find one person who has listened to both in the same setting, and if not, hope I can be the first!

I will definitely be building the Khan's in the near future....and will post a thorough thread in homage.....

Comment

• nk215
                • Aug 2010

I went down the same road and picked the Khans because of their flexibility. The statement limits your ability to change the depth and height because of the length of the mid chambers. You also can't place the statement in front of a fully treated wall.

IMHO, Khans is better for dedicated front projector theater room in which the speakers are out of the way or even hidden. It's easier to blend the Khans in a modern/contemporary room. In a typical family room, when you have a large TV set sitting 2 feet from the wall, the statements are fine.

The option to use the in-khan for rear and surround just make the entire Khans package more practical.

As far as sound quality goes, based on the review of the speakers individually, I don't think anyone can do wrong with any of them.

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by nk215
                  I went down the same road and picked the Khans because of their flexibility.
                  So where are the pictures of your build?
                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• nk215
                    • Aug 2010

I've been busy enjoying my vacation last week. I'll get back on my build very soon '

Originally posted by ---k---
                    So where are the pictures of your build?

Comment

• joeybutts
                      • Sep 2009

Eager to see them! I've been trying to think of a nice design for the aesthetics....

Comment

• 1Michael
                        • Sep 2006

Joey where are you located?
                        Michael
                        Chesapeake Va.

Comment

• joeybutts
                          • Sep 2009

Hampton!

Comment

• joeybutts
                            • Sep 2009

Don't know how I missed this....(for anyone else looking)

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"