Figuring cubic Ft or liters on odd shape or curved side speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigbardmusiq
    • Jul 2010

Figuring cubic Ft or liters on odd shape or curved side speakers?

I want to design some extreme curved side speakers but getting exact cubic feet is kinda tough when your not dealing with a rectangle, square, etc.. I have a program called Bassbox6 which has many different shapes for measuring but not curved sides with slanted top! and suggestions? This is a rough idea I'm toying with...
    Attached Files
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

There are plugins for Sketchup that will calculate the volume for you. I've used one a while ago to calculate the volume in some funky pyramid shapes. It takes a little futzing with, but it will work well. You might have to erase your driver cutout and ports.

Since you're doing the Statements, you can also contact Todd Premo at PE Tech Talk and ask him for his measurements. He did a nice set of curved Statements.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
      • Jul 2010

Thanks K, I didn't know sketchup had plugins. I'm wet behind the ears on just about everything. Oh and I also plan to start a build thread when I get closer to hammering the design.

Comment

• DancesWithBeers
        • Dec 2008

Sketchup can tell you the area of any surface. Just calculate the area from that given the internal height of the enclosure. This will only work if you have modeled the insides as well.

Right click on any surface and select, "Entity info":

Attached Files

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by DancesWithBeers
          Sketchup can tell you the area of any surface. Just calculate the area from that given the internal height of the enclosure. This will only work if you have modeled the insides as well.

Right click on any surface and select, "Entity info":
          I can only get it to work with flat area surfaces! ops:

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by ---k---
            There are plugins for Sketchup that will calculate the volume for you. I've used one a while ago to calculate the volume in some funky pyramid shapes. It takes a little futzing with, but it will work well. You might have to erase your driver cutout and ports.
            any chance you remember the name of that plug-in? I read through a bunch of descriptions but was unsuccessful. ops:

Comment

• CraigG
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by bigbardmusiq
              I can only get it to work with flat area surfaces! ops:
              That's all you need--get the area of that flat spot at the bottom and multiply it by height, and you've got volume.

I can't tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like the top might be sloped (not parallel to the bottom), so you might be a little off there, but not much. You could calculate total volume using the height at the back, then calculate again using the height at the front, and you'll know that your actual volume is somewhere between the two, and closer to the larger value.

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by CraigG
                That's all you need--get the area of that flat spot at the bottom and multiply it by height, and you've got volume.

I can't tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like the top might be sloped (not parallel to the bottom), so you might be a little off there, but not much. You could calculate total volume using the height at the back, then calculate again using the height at the front, and you'll know that your actual volume is somewhere between the two, and closer to the larger value.
                :T :T

Comment

• Solid7
                  • Jul 2010

I don't know if it is still available, but there used to be a free version of a software called Alibre, which is a true CAD system. I'm not terribly fond of sketchup, as I use CAD for a living. (am I, therefore, a CAD snob?) Maybe check it out, and see if it works for you. Then, you can take accurate volumetric measurements, with no additional downloads, or add-ins.

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Solid7
                    I don't know if it is still available, but there used to be a free version of a software called Alibre, which is a true CAD system. I'm not terribly fond of sketchup, as I use CAD for a living. (am I, therefore, a CAD snob?) Maybe check it out, and see if it works for you. Then, you can take accurate volumetric measurements, with no additional downloads, or add-ins.
                    I have Autocad 2010 version on a home pc but dont ask me how to use it, lol.

Comment

• meb46
                      • Jul 2010

I use some softare I downloaded from the net called Solid Edge 2D Drafting. It's easy to pick up and you can use it to calculate areas and volumes etc. Its pretty large, but definitely worth the download time, its also free . Its also useful to have a DXF and DWG output which can be used for CNC machining if you want to get "fancy" panels cut with real accuracy

Comment

• Solid7
                        • Jul 2010

Solid Edge and AutoCAD are both great for doing panel layout in 2D. But a good 3D modeler makes it much easier to calculate internal volumes.

When I post my design and build project, I'll throw in some screen shots of my curved cabs, with the internal volume created. (for analysis purposes)

If anyone ever wants/needs volumetric calculations on exotic cabinetry, but doesn't have the time to learn CAD, I can be of help. Of course, there is always a catch - I like to barter. Willing to consider trading my time for just about anything that I find useful

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"