CJD's MTM Center, done "trans-lam" style!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RandyRSV
    • Apr 2009

CJD's MTM Center, done "trans-lam" style!!!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Randy and this is my first post on the forum. First off, I’d like to say thank you to all that provide DIY plans, feed back to other’s questions, and words of encouragement to aspiring speaker builders. This is a great forum and I’ve spend MANY hours wandering around…getting ideas…and learning tips and tricks.

I'm working on a DIY home theater setup and have decided to start with the center channel first. I chose CJD's MTM design utilizing Dayton RS150 woofers and SEAS TDFC tweeter. His design fit my budget and size requirements....and a whole bunch of positive comments about the design didn't hurt either! Chris…I made sure to give you props on this speaker….see my terminal plate picture below

I'm doing the build using Russian Baltic Birch plywood (13 layers by 18mm thick) which I found locally here in Kansas City. I decided to do what's commonly referred to as a "transverse laminate" style of construction. I guess "horizontal laminate" would be more descriptive. Basically, I cut a curved pattern out, made a whole bunch of duplicates of it, and stacked the pieces on top of each other. The top and bottom pieces are solid, and the inner pieces have cutouts (thus making a hollow box).

Below are many pictures of my build....so far. The crossovers are built, but I'm going to redo a handful of the solder joints….some of them aren’t up to “standards”. I used a Jasper circle jig for cutting the speaker holes with my router. That is definitely one tool that EVERY speaker builder should own. Yeah…you can make your own jig…but why? Spend a few bucks and never worry about it again. I used my trust old rotary grinder (Dremel tool) and a sanding bit to chamfer the back sides of the speaker holes (to allow more air flow for the speaker cones). That made easy work of that!!!

The rear terminal plate is one of my favorite pieces of the build. Let’s just say I have "access" to a laser marker....so I decided to use it. That's just the $10 Parts Express black anodized plate....and Parts Express insulated banana terminals....but I think it looks like part of an expensive set of commercial speakers

Please feel free to comment (good or bad). I still need to round over the top and bottom pieces.....thoroughly sand....stain....and clear the box. I'm kinda thinking a dark brown/red stain (mahogany maybe?)
    Attached Files
  • RandyRSV
    • Apr 2009

More pictures......
    Attached Files

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Hey, that looks sharp!
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Very nice. :T
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• looneybomber
          • May 2007

Diggin' it. I like your terminal plate. Do you do work for others?

Comment

• bigbardmusiq
            • Jul 2010

Very nice design, I just built the same speaker but it wasn't half as beautiful. How did you go about make sure you maintained the right amount of cubic space inside the box?

Comment

• richnen
              • Jul 2010

Very cool!
              Seas Idunn
              ZA5.2
              ZA5.3CC
              SB Acoustics 12" sub
              Statement Monitors
              CLD M5B

Comment

• RandyRSV
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by looneybomber
                Diggin' it. I like your terminal plate. Do you do work for others?
                Yeah....I thought I might get a question like this It's really easy to do....and I have access to the equipment, but there is absolutely no way I could do work for others. I wish I could. Thanks for the comment though! Randy

Comment

• RandyRSV
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by bigbardmusiq
                  Very nice design, I just built the same speaker but it wasn't half as beautiful. How did you go about make sure you maintained the right amount of cubic space inside the box?
                  Well, I just made sure I would be close to the designed volume. I kept the height and depth of the box the same as CJD's plans. However, the front width is 2 inches wider than nominal,....and the rear width is 2 inches narrower (so it's pretty much a wash). I'll probably model it up in ProE and get the exact volume (I supose I should have done that before I ever started). Then, if I'm a little large...I can adjust the internal volume. It should be pretty close as it's sitting. Thanks, Randy

Comment

• RandyRSV
                    • Apr 2009

Well... I made some progress this weekend. Today I put a 3/4" round-over on the top and bottom edges. I did have to make inserts to fill in the speaker holes (for the router guide bearing to ride on). Everything worked out great! So, I just need to do a rough sanding all over....followed by a wood glue/saw dust fill-in for any small gaps or voids (minimal)......then a final sanding followed by staining and seal. This speaker has so far come out exactly as I imagined it. I can’t wait to get it done! Randy
                    Attached Files

Comment

• BOBinGA
                      • Mar 2009

That looks great! I can't wait to see it stained and finished.

-Bob
                      -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                      My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                      The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• RandyRSV
                        • Apr 2009

Well, they aren't the best pictures in all of the world....but, it's kinda late at night. I just finished my center channel speaker!!!! No....I just finished the first speaker I've ever built!!!!! It sure feels good to have finally finished this bad boy...and it sounds every bit as good as it looks. Nice work CJD...this thing fantastic!

I'll take some better pictures in the near future....but for now....

[url]http://img573.imageshack.us/i/finalfront.jpg/[/Iurl]

Last edited by RandyRSV; 21 December 2010, 02:49 Tuesday. Reason: Fix picture links

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"