X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1thomasx
    • Aug 2010

My first project, need help and advice!

Hi guys!

As the title says, this is my first ever speaker project, hopefully not the last. I'm from Norway, so my mother taught me Norwegian, not English. Therefore we can blame her for my typos.

I'm going to buy a Denon AVR-1611, 5.1 channel reciever. And need speakers that matches its specs.
    In the beginning I want to start with two speakers, 2-way I guess. And maybe a subwoofer. That will be the start of a 5.1 surround system. The speakers can't be to big due to my quite small room. Also the denon reciever delivers at 8 ohm 5 x 75 watt (constantly, in two channels 20-20.000 Hz, 0,05% distortion it says) I suppose this ain't a whole lot.
    I'm thinking about Tang Band W4-1337 as midrange speakers, but should I use one or two for each speaker? I've been looking at some MTM speakers (someone please explain what that means) with two Tang Band W4 elements, looks nice to me. But you know whats best.

This is just an idea so far, all different, and probably better ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  • Biff
    • Jul 2006

no worries

First, don't think about designing your own yet, check out the mission accomplished section for proven designs in the public domain to build from. The only thing you might watch for, spec wise, is a nominal impedance of at least 6 ohms to work with your receiver, and the higher sensitivity the better - somewhere in the 85 db or more range will be fine given your room. You might consider whether a series of matching designs is available to fill in as surrounds or a center when the time comes. The statement series is a match for most of those requirements, and others in that section, as well as some of Clearwave's designs. Subs are easy and using WinIsd you can design your own easily or start with a done design there also.

An MTM means a mid, tweeter, mid configuraton as opposed to a t,m,w, or tm setup.

Comment

• 1thomasx
      • Aug 2010

I've been looking at the finished projects, and especially this one: https://www.htguide.com/forum/showpo...55&postcount=2
      The diagram that shows impedance seems to variate from 3 to 9 ohm, is that OK for my reciever? (www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5325.asp - In Norway it is 5.1 channel not 7.1)
      What difference does it make to the sound that speaker has an opening in the bottom? Isn't that a subwoofer thing?
      I couldn't see anything about the DB range though.
      And when the day I want to upgrade to 5.1 comes, should I use the same type of speakers in the back as the front? And what about the center speaker?

Just downloaded WinIsd now!
      The MTM thing was pretty simple, I should have understood. Thanks anyway!

Comment

• blue934
        • Mar 2008

unfortunately the vifa D26 tweeter is discontinued (unless you can find some in europe) but contact jed, the designer as some of the lineup series speakers have been upgraded with an available tweeter. i'm not sure which ones though.
        the port can be placed in numerous locations depending on design requirements so no, a downfacing or in this application a bottom slot port aren't only used by subwoofers.
        tonal similarity is more important in the front LCR than in the surrounds.

david

Comment

• Undefinition
          • Dec 2006

This page might help you:

Geting Started in DIY Speakers
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• 1thomasx
            • Aug 2010

I see.. Haven't seen it here either. Will contact jed, thank you David!

Many good ideas there Paul! I have to check out some webshops etc here in Norway to see what would be possible to build without importing from other countries.

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

I wish I had more time to update the D44 and D4 (build the new cabinets, take new measurements, purchase more parts etc). Right now I'm pretty swamped, so I think I'd go with the "Swope" designs that Paul did. Looks like he did a nice job on those.

If you were in the USA, I'd say just send me a cabinet loaded with the drivers, and I'd do all the new measurements and post the results, but since you're in Norway that might not be practical.

Comment

• 1thomasx
                • Aug 2010

Yes, many ideas in my head right now. Might just end up with one of Paul's designs!

That would have been very easy Jed, but I should learn how to do it myself.

Anyway, what I'm most concerned about right now is my Denon 1611 receiver. Will it handle five MTM speakers like the Lineup D44? Just an example, though I suppose that will be quite close to the final result.
                Last edited by 1thomasx; 26 August 2010, 18:15 Thursday.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

The D44 and R44 are 4 ohms, but they aren't particularly hard to drive.

Comment

• 1thomasx
                    • Aug 2010

Sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"